Galvanising fert shaker

Kylemcnamara

I've a metal hopper from a 6 bag fertiliser spreader that I put a new patch in. I'm wondering what the costs would be to get it galvanised. I'm based in limerick and there's a local galvanising place. Anyone have any experiences with galvanising and rough idea of costs.

I've a metal hopper from a 6 bag fertiliser spreader that I put a new patch in. I'm wondering what the costs would be to get it galvanised. I'm based in limerick and there's a local galvanising place. Anyone have any experiences with galvanising and rough idea of costs.
Got a tine harrow galvanized last November. €1.40 per kg of steel dipped including vat.
Steel must have no paint on it whatsoever, and if there is internal cavities then it needs holes drilled in it to let zinc flow in and out.
A great job.

Got a tine harrow galvanized last November. €1.40 per kg of steel dipped including vat.
Steel must have no paint on it whatsoever, and if there is internal cavities then it needs holes drilled in it to let zinc flow in and out.
A great job.
Was that in limerick? I think in limerick you can get paint stripped off it before it goes to be dipped

Thought I read on here before that Galvinised steel and fertilser suit each other
I'd take the chance to be honest, painted steel on a shaker is absolutely useless on its own. Other alternative is to source a plastic hopper

Was that in limerick? I think in limerick you can get paint stripped off it before it goes to be dipped
No it was Sperrin in Galway, I got it sandblasted before dipping.
A neighbour of mine got his spreader dipped last year, he also painted it as well , just for aesthetics I think.
Don’t think there would be any bother with galvanizing so long as it’s washed out after use.

No it was Sperrin in Galway, I got it sandblasted before dipping.
A neighbour of mine got his spreader dipped last year, he also painted it as well , just for aesthetics I think.
Don’t think there would be any bother with galvanizing so long as it’s washed out after use.
Ah sure thats not that far at all. Was sandblasting expensive?

Ah sure thats not that far at all. Was sandblasting expensive?
If memory serves me right I think it was about 100 to get it done, that’s with the fella doing the blasting supplying the blast as well. There was 49 individual bits to get blasted and dipped.

I’ve had stuff galvanised that I arc welded. Important to knock the slag off properly. Is this a new rule or just specific to certain galvanisers

I’ve had stuff galvanised that I arc welded. Important to knock the slag off properly. Is this a new rule or just specific to certain galvanisers
Made a hopper for our bredal spreader a few years ago and any steel fabricators we asked locally said no chance after an arc welder.

There's a Rauch local that got a new hopper made and had it galvanized, been on the go a good few years now.

Back