General question

podge 23

Does any 1 know for sure what is the story going forward with open yards on a dairy farm and tanks will they have to be covered ?

Not decided yet.the department proposed covering all stores Inc lagoons but ifa have been fighting against it.
Haven't heard yards mentioned

Doesn't have to be covered but if cattle even cross it or dirty it there has to be a collection tank there for that yard

Does any 1 know for sure what is the story going forward with open yards on a dairy farm and tanks will they have to be covered ?
Open yard`s by that you mean collecting yard`s for the parlour . You have to be able to collect the dirty water from that yard . As @dstig says any yard that cattle use that`s not roofed you have to be able to collect the dirty water from . Hence we have a roof over the cattle pen here at home after a visit from the county council .

Bit of a grey area. We have to walk our cows from shed to parlour. It's all concrete not covered. Was told if the dept ever ask your to say it's a lane way that's kept clean. It's always cleaned during the winter and in the summer when it's not dry. Water from the lane is kept out of the tank.

I am in for planning at the moment for extra tanks and the runoff off every open dirty yard is counted for slurry storage and it adds up fast. I barely had enough capacity for planning purposes. With new tanks i will have doubled my storage area. Planning is not simple any more. A ex-teagasc advisor is working with Wexford planning and he goes out on planning inspections and knows all the things to look out for. In my view things are going to get a lot tougher going forward.

I am in for planning at the moment for extra tanks and the runoff off every open dirty yard is counted for slurry storage and it adds up fast. I barely had enough capacity for planning purposes. With new tanks i will have doubled my storage area. Planning is not simple any more. A ex-teagasc advisor is working with Wexford planning and he goes out on planning inspections and knows all the things to look out for. In my view things are going to get a lot tougher going forward.
Last one we put in here I got the phone call to go through sizes of tanks etc, that was grand gave him all the sizes he said yeah that’s grand I’ll just have to do the maths on it, only after I hung up I realised I hadn’t mentioned the straw bedding for cows, luckily he rang back on something else and I pointed it out, turned out it was just aswell as we were barely scraping by.

Last one we put in here I got the phone call to go through sizes of tanks etc, that was grand gave him all the sizes he said yeah that’s grand I’ll just have to do the maths on it, only after I hung up I realised I hadn’t mentioned the straw bedding for cows, luckily he rang back on something else and I pointed it out, turned out it was just aswell as we were barely scraping by.
What's the allowance for straw bedding?

Back