Genuine or non Genuine filters

Leone75

Do you always use genuine filters or will you buy non genuine if the price is better?

Leone75

Tractor company,s dont make filters they just get crosslands or what ever is cheapest to rebadge them in there name then add a few quid on.

The reason I am asking is I was in a filter factory in Turkey 3 years ago and they were making filters for lots of people, only 15% of there production was in their own brand. I was considering setting up an online shop for filters for tractors and plant (no car stuff). Would you buy filters on-line ? obviously the price will be very competitive.

Leone75

not too fussed if they are badged or not .I find that if you go to change oil and filter then find theres none on the shelf it a quick phone call to see who has them on the shelf ,the non franchise dont always have what you need so then its a trip to the dealer .
if its a planned order I use local every time just to help them survive so they will be there for other things
would I buy over the internet ? sorry but no I dont think so for the reason above

can recall seeing years ago fuel filters tested in an ozzie farming mag some of the genuine filters rated lower than the after market ones

talked to an oil rep at the show a while back like ya saying the filter maker was makeing filters for a lot of brands painted and boxed on site ... i know how that come up we were talking about oil and a brand they also make seems there is a ID added to the oil if ya motor craped out they test the oil no ID no payout ..

ya mean like a place like this
http://www.filtersupplies.com.au/

once out of contract depends on how i get on with the dealers alot of them will even supply other filters case dealer used to be case filters while on 4+4 contract but seem to change to fleetgard after that ..

gaffer usually buy the ones he can get the best deal on , usually after market but we've had after market 1 come that had JD on the filters them selves . at the minute were using genuine JD engine oil filters as he's getting them cheaper than the after market ones . obviously there going onto claas tractors :thumbup:

ours are all genuine at work. 2 of the tractors are still under warranty.

If you buy decent name branded filters they will be fine, like grumpy says, engine manufacturers buy them in branded for them. You just have to be care full that they aren't all casing and acually have a filter element in them.

I would guess a decent filter brand/manufacturer would stand by there filters if they were the cause of a break down.

All much of a muchness, some places ive been have had service contracts, others used whatever was cheapest. For the car I use halfords stuff, does the job.

As far as online site, arnt filters just things you pick up when in the dealers? "I'll have........... and a couple of filters for my Deere" Not really something you would go out your way to save a couple of quid on.

Genuine filters all the way. Beter to spend abit more.

you may have missed the point nh dont make filters,what ever filter company offers them the cheapest deal makes there filters.

leone, would you be offering "genuine" manufacturer branded filters? My local qtp outlet stocks new holland and massey branded filters.

i mostly use genuine, baldwin or fleetguard here.
but dont buy filters for stock anymore, just keep whats needed for the machines i have now.
its a good enuf idea leone, but would people buy them in advance of needing them.
also, when you would have the postage added on it might take the gloss off them.
as MS says, they seem to be something you "pick up" when at the dealers.
just my 2p.

baldwin filters there famous man !! cheaper than genuine ones !!

The filters I would sell are not a common brand but when I was in the factory they were making filters for a surprising number of OEMs and replacement filter brands.
As far as pricing is concerned if my overheads are kept low by having an online shop and giving no credit,prices could be very competitive.
The problem as I see it most of my filter suppliers do not have very good cross references and their cataloges would be out of date.
I would put the new numbers up quickly and try to give a superior service.

If some of you put prices you are paying for filters I could see how much I could beat it by

As far as I am concerned Baldwin,mahle,fleetguard,mann&hummell are all good brands.

Leone75

I try and buy me filters in advance. Ring up local guy who stocks fleetguard get him to quote on me list (its a big supply company). Then get prices off dealer who usually will knock of enough to get almost down to the fleet guard guy without haggling. If im buying on he spot its difficult to ask for discount.

It would be interesting to see what cost you could do it for leone then i would make the decision, i find it a bit of hassel to buy things over the net and i like to support the local dealership if possible.

I try and buy me filters in advance. Ring up local guy who stocks fleetguard get him to quote on me list (its a big supply company). Then get prices off dealer who usually will knock of enough to get almost down to the fleet guard guy without haggling. If im buying on he spot its difficult to ask for discount.

It would be interesting to see what cost you could do it for leone then i would make the decision, i find it a bit of hassel to buy things over the net and i like to support the local dealership if possible.
he might get tired of that soon:lol::lol:
ya might be better off with the fleetguard too.:whistling:

i once ordered a v belt for a combine from the local claas dealer was in a hurry as the the harvest was on,so cut out out the spurious v belt guys only to go and pick it up as the spurious v belt guy delivered it to the claas dealer:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:

i once ordered a v belt for a combine from the local claas dealer was in a hurry as the the harvest was on,so cut out out the spurious v belt guys only to go and pick it up as the spurious v belt guy delivered it to the claas dealer:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:
:laugh:dont ya just hate that.

same thing happened to me years ago, priced a genuine clutch for a tractor, went to collect it and the spurious guy was there delivering it.
i dug the heels in and eventually they gave me a oem clutch, which should of been another €90,
i priced a genuine one, it was his loss imo.

he might get tired of that soon:lol::lol:
ya might be better off with the fleetguard too.:whistling:

They might well get tired of it but thats life. Trouble i find is that they dont do some of the filters or cant cross reference them and have to go to dealer anyway.:confused1:

Back