Getting stuff fixed outside EU

Saw

Has anyone any experience of extra costs involved with sending stuff outside EU for repairs and getting it back and any extra costs involved in customs, etc?

I need to get a dashboard fixed in GB. Cost of repair will be roughly £300.

Will I have to pay UK VAT on the repair?
Will I have to pay Irish VAT / duties on dashboard & repair when it comes back to Ireland?

Has anyone any experience of extra costs involved with sending stuff outside EU for repairs and getting it back and any extra costs involved in customs, etc?

Will I have to pay Irish VAT / duties on dashboard & repair when it comes back to Ireland?
@c4l just got stuff back from the UK , he might fill you in on what duties were charged.

We sent tm EMU to dk electronics to get fixed. We sent it out through UPS and that set us back 30 euro. Half a week later they got it. Fixed it and after we paid 140 pounds incl. uk Vat for it and they sent it back (that incl. shipping). We paid nothing else but shipping is the issue as FedEx were slow to get it back to us. quick to get the package out of the country but slow coming back

Last edited:

My reading of it is you won't be liable for any VAT or duties upon reimportation IF you comply with the proper process when sending it to the UK, to that end you should make sure that whatever courier you use is made aware of why you are sending it and that they are able to do the relevant customs declaration. I think it would be wise to use the same courier for getting it back i.e. not allow the repair crowd use a courier of their choice.
As for the UK VAT you should make sure the repairer understands that the item is going out of the UK and therefore is not liable for UK VAT, have this conversation before you send the dashboard.

Have used David King in the past A1 guy, there is also a crowd in France that people use, mainly NH lads I've heard mention them if it would be less hassle.

Have used David King in the past A1 guy, there is also a crowd in France that people use, mainly NH lads I've heard mention them if it would be less hassle.
sure david king rang dad at the start of the week to ask if we got it in which dad said no. sure enough he chased fedex up

We sent tm EMU to dk electronics to get fixed. We sent it out through UPS and that set us back 30 euro. Half a week later they got it. Fixed it and after we paid 140 pounds incl. uk Vat for it and they sent it back (that incl. shipping). We paid nothing else but shipping is the issue as FedEx were slow to get it back to us. quick to get the package out of the country but slow coming back
Do you have a UPS account? I don’t think they do one offs. I can’t find a courier online that delivers to Britain. It was really easy before Christmas with DPD, Parcel2Go, etc. An Post’s forms don’t allow declarations that item going for repair.
Were you charged VAT on the repair cost and the Fedex cost? It would be very cumbersome to reclaim that?
I’d be wary of low balling the value for customs purposes because if the package goes missing the low value would determine insurance.

Do you have a UPS account? I don’t think they do one offs. I can’t find a courier online that delivers to Britain. It was really easy before Christmas with DPD, Parcel2Go, etc. An Post’s forms don’t allow declarations that item going for repair.
Were you charged VAT on the repair cost and the Fedex cost? It would be very cumbersome to reclaim that?
I’d be wary of low balling the value for customs purposes because if the package goes missing the low value would determine insurance.
Are you vat registered when you mention reclaim ?

we rang a few couriers. UPS were the first accepting to send it to england. they told us to take it into town (cork city) where there's a bit of a collection/drop off shop there so there wasnt an account needed in our case. we are not vat registered as well. all in all apart from our grievance with fedex on the return of the package, i was surprised by how simple things went for us at least. im just outlining how things worked out with us. if struggling to find who can take the items online, ring them up. we explained that we were sending an electronic component over for repair and all that.
on the charging vat on the repair and shipping, can look at the invoice here to get an idea on how it worked in our case
IMG_20210225_223459(1)(1).jpg

Update here on this. Dad got a letter from FedEx there last week. €23 for import tax and €15 for disbursement fee. So all and all the whole repair costed around €230-240

Last edited:
Back