Getting the JD 7000 series SPFH ready for grass

Migs need to be used fairly often or the wire goes off. So I was told when looking into gettin one.

How does the harvester do with really dry grass. 6850 I push up from can act the bollocks and block, even in 30ft rows which is fun. Had to drive a tanker along the rows in a place last year to dribble water on the grass to keep it blowing. Old grass that was well wilted. Good edge, tight to the ledger bar and good blow on it.
You needn’t worry about mig wire going off, last year I used three rolls of mig wire that came out of a factory that burnt down 25 years ago. I unwrapped the slightly rusty outer layer of wire and underneath the wire was perfect.

Mig here could go week`s with been used and no issue with using it . Just keep moisture away from the wire and you`ll have no issues
Migs need to be used fairly often or the wire goes off. So I was told when looking into gettin one.

How does the harvester do with really dry grass. 6850 I push up from can act the bollocks and block, even in 30ft rows which is fun. Had to drive a tanker along the rows in a place last year to dribble water on the grass to keep it blowing. Old grass that was well wilted. Good edge, tight to the ledger bar and good blow on it.

Deffenitely and I wouldn't advise going near the gasless flux coated wire either as loctite would hold together better than that stuff. Should get a 3 in 1 inverter welder have one here and it would put most yolks to shame, will do tig, mig and arc welding. Has never needed to stop to cool down for us even after 6 continuous hours of welding. They're the only job.

Some dry grass can build a waxy layer inside the chute, lighter crops are the worst, shorten up the chop length to keep a good wedge of grass in the feed rolls.

I’ve had separate wire feeds on all my migs since getting the 1st one some 25 years ago,1st one would rust a little but there isn’t a week go by without something being welded,did use wire wool clipped onto the wire with the 1st one never bothered since.

Back