Tirlán (glanbia)

remember 24 cent includes vat which the state pays, glanbia pay bottom price and have no intention of changing until they are forced to, its not only price its the clongoweswoodgate affair,:fighting: one rule for the little fella another rule for the board member

clongowes and belview were brought up by people on the floor the other night in navan, top table just said we are here to talk about milk price anytime they were asked anything sticky, even when questioned on liquid milk price. Imo liquid milk price is milk price. Also seeing as glanbia connect is sayng I havent sent in milk for over 6 months it might give me leeway to leave :)

I dont think that's entirely fair. There's a big difference between the co-ops who are there to serve their supplier members and the PLCs who are there to serve their shareholders

Farmer owned Co-ops aren't exactly blazing a trail as regards price (apart from the west corks) either.
The farmer supplying the plc has at least some share value to fall back on.

Farmer owned Co-ops aren't exactly blazing a trail as regards price (apart from the west corks) either.
The farmer supplying the plc has at least some share value to fall back on.

gii is a farmer owned co op which makes it all the more galling. when we were voting to split from the plc the board told us that the plc was the reason they weren,t allowed to pay a decent milk price, whats the excuse now?

You would wonder how the other processors and primarily the west cork coops manage to pay a far better price for the last few months? With a brand new free milk plant you would think that Glanbia should be a hell of a lot better. Lots of angry milk and grain lads around here.

Is that not due to their different product mix?

The real question on Belview is, what is going on down there and is the switching of production down there a symptom of other problems that they are now trying to address??

It's no secret that they had major intake issues there in the early summer around June time I think it was. Reported that lorries took six hours to turn around if I'm thinking of it correctly.

Possibly product mix may be a small part of it but most processors make a multitude of products so I would find the story of all down to product mix being a little bit hard to believe.

gii is a farmer owned co op which makes it all the more galling. when we were voting to split from the plc the board told us that the plc was the reason they weren,t allowed to pay a decent milk price, whats the excuse now?
The reason is that 2015 profits have to be kept in line with 2014 profits , thats what Bergin said the other night. 1 farmer said we should have had a 2cpl top up from the co-op and no drop to the farmer for September

There should be a difference COOPs are supposed to be member cooperating for the good of there (farmers/supplier) members.
NOT FORCING THEIR MEMBERS TO SIGN SHITTY SUPPLY CONTRACTS

Personally I dont think a supplier co-op asking it's members to sign some form of supply agreement, with no guarantee of price is such a problem. Consistency of supply is good for these co-ops which in turn should be good for their members.

Similar contracts a PLC is a different matter......

Personally I dont think a supplier co-op asking it's members to sign some form of supply agreement, with no guarantee of price is such a problem. Consistency of supply is good for these co-ops which in turn should be good for their members.

SO its ok for a coop to rape its members

No private concern would ask (FORCE) that such one sided agreements would be signed

Even Larry Goodman who is no saint would not look for such agreements to be signed
Any farmer who would look for legal advise on signing the contract would be told he would be a fool to sign

No private concern would ask (FORCE) that such one sided agreements would be signed

Even Larry Goodman who is no saint would not look for such agreements to be signed
Any farmer who would look for legal advise on signing the contract would be told he would be a fool to sign

Maybe an end of year bonus for supplying a projected volume of milk would have been more answerable than a top up. Remember though, not everyone is getting this top up.
Autumn milk has a top up of about 3 cent and early Spring milk has a top up of about 5 cent. A bit of lobbying for a low cell count bonus could be a better angle than arguing over 1 or 2 cent on the Base. Targeting the Glanbia bonuses is where some farmers are able to maximise their annual milk price.
The last drop on the Base price is a sting for farmers at the end of a low paying year with a pile of bills still left to pay.

Big difference between "some form of supply agreement" and forced rape.

Also a big difference between supplying a private business like aibp and a supplier owned Co op

Big difference between "some form of supply agreement" and forced rape.

Also a big difference between supplying a private business like aibp and a supplier owned Co op

Supplier who tried to leave a coop had there arms twisted to stay with the coop and then "convinced" ??? to sign a crazy agreement RAPE

Supplier who tried to leave a coop had there arms twisted to stay with the coop and then "convinced" ??? to sign a crazy agreement RAPE

Given the terrible experiences that all victims go through in the latter, there is no way that ANYONE can equate the two there.

That's just being hysterical.

I agree, poor choice of words.

Also, there's very little point complaining about a contract that was signed in the past. Farmers are big boys and don't have to sign anything if they really don't want to.

Also, there's very little point complaining about a contract that was signed in the past. Farmers are big boys and don't have to sign anything if they really don't want to.
Precisely, we have to take some of the blame ourselves for signing, we didn't have to.

Suck it up, markets are down, things will improve, still getting COP and this is a bad year. I fail to see what all the crying by a section of the dairy farmers is about. Some seem to have signed a contract that they failed to read the small print, gowls. It's starting to sound like the foolish talk that the banks that forced people to take out loans that they now can't repay.

I suppose there wouldn't be as much anger if the gap between glanbia and other Co ops wasn't so much. 2 farmers with 100 cows is a difference of about €2000 for the same quality product.

The smugness that top table glanbia seem to display is another reason to be angry of course.

I suppose there wouldn't be as much anger if the gap between glanbia and other Co ops wasn't so much. 2 farmers with 100 cows is a difference of about €2000 a month for the same quality product.

The smugness that top table glanbia seem to display is another reason to be angry of course.

Suck it up, markets are down, things will improve, still getting COP and this is a bad year. I fail to see what all the crying by a section of the dairy farmers is about. Some seem to have signed a contract that they failed to read the small print, gowls. It's starting to sound like the foolish talk that the banks that forced people to take out loans that they now can't repay.
I don't think you can really call this a contract rather an agreement.

From my non Glanbia view, the biggest crux is as Cow Porter says the differential in price is the main thing after what was 'promised' to be a market leading price.

It probably should have been phrased along the lines of what was the average in the KPMG milk league. The problem with that is milk price can then become a self fulfilling prophecy.

I suppose there wouldn't be as much anger if the gap between glanbia and other Co ops wasn't so much. 2 farmers with 100 cows is a difference of about €2000 for the same quality product.

Yup fair bit of arrogance there alright

You would wonder how the other processors and primarily the west cork coops manage to pay a far better price for the last few months? With a brand new free milk plant you would think that Glanbia should be a hell of a lot better. Lots of angry milk and grain lads around here.
They West Cork co-ops and Carbery are a study in efficiency and also have a particularly favourable product mix at this point, with cheese being a big factor at the minute.

A good bit OTT but co-ops do not have to have a supply contract as they are member owned and set up for the benefit of members, supposedly.

PLC suppliers are (supposed) to be better protected as the benefits of supplying their milk accrue to the owners of the processors rather than the suppliers.

And it's also a fact that the wheel turns and it won't be long before a new contract will have to be negotiated and, with the balance of trust between supplier and processor being eroded every day now, it should be a wake up call to farmers to organise themselves for their own benefit and not for the benefit of those who couldn't care less if they go broke.

Apologies poor choice of words on my behalf

Farmers who did not sign the contract were certainly forced into signing the contract in underhand ways
Cork you can sell your grain to whom ever you choose, the price might not be great but you have choice I know what happens when a farmer tries to change from the coop he supplies and its not pretty
My point is that if coops were genuinely acting in farmer interest there would have no need for such contracts and would only need to ask what volume of milk suppliers would be supplying after Quotas were abolished,
Farmer have been taken for fools in this contract issue and a poor price for milk has shown this up. the price of milk product has not fallen one cent to the consumer, large profits are being made, Meanwhile nestle are going around the farms of suppliers looking ever more of a paper trail so they can assure their consumers that they produce product to the very highest standards all be it that those farmer who produce the milk are making feck all if not making a loss

Apologies poor choice of words on my behalf

Farmers who did not sign the contract were certainly forced into signing the contract in underhand ways
Cork you can sell your grain to whom ever you choose, the price might not be great but you have choice I know what happens when a farmer tries to change from the coop he supplies and its not pretty
My point is that if coops were genuinely acting in farmer interest there would have no need for such contracts and would only need to ask what volume of milk suppliers would be supplying after Quotas were abolished,
Farmer have been taken for fools in this contract issue and a poor price for milk has shown this up. the price of milk product has not fallen one cent to the consumer, large profits are being made, Meanwhile nestle are going around the farms of suppliers looking ever more of a paper trail so they can assure their consumers that they produce product to the very highest standards all be it that those farmer who produce the milk are making feck all if not making a loss

I have no knowledge of the tactics used to convince farmers to sign contracts, to be honest I am surprised that this occurs - surely the IFA would support farmers who felt bullied or forced to do so.

I equally have no involvement in the dairy industry and will leave to people who are more knowledgeable to comment on the complex politics of the subject.

In what way would farmers be coerced into signing such contracts? how long do such contracts run for?

Back