Good food appreciation

Goat meat is very under valued. Had it on holiday thought it was great.
Lower fat than a skinless chicken and just as much protein in it as beef.
Nothing beats a slow cooked goat leg for Sunday roast, or some diced goat on the bone for a stew or curry on a winter night in my opinion. Was surprised it's not eaten more here in Ireland. Goat meat Ireland or Valhalla meats do great goat meat.
Been lucky enough to be offer opportunity to farm 28acres, untouched by anyone for 30years... Got wild herbs, shrubs, young trees, black berry bushes etc. Perfect goat forage. And it's hilly territory. So I'm going to give it a go too. If I can't sell it, I'll happily eat it, and sure St. Vincent de Paul will get some too.

Goat = 0.15 in stocking so 6 to an acre.
And 3 times less methane than a cow (if you can believe that, I'm on the fence with that)

Nothing beats a slow cooked goat leg for Sunday roast, or some diced goat on the bone for a stew or curry on a winter night in my opinion. Was surprised it's not eaten more here in Ireland. Goat meat Ireland or Valhalla meats do great goat meat.
Been lucky enough to be offer opportunity to farm 28acres, untouched by anyone for 30years... Got wild herbs, shrubs, young trees, black berry bushes etc. Perfect goat forage. And it's hilly territory. So I'm going to give it a go too. If I can't sell it, I'll happily eat it, and sure St. Vincent de Paul will get some too.

And 3 times less methane than a cow (if you can believe that, I'm on the fence with that)
Best of luck, sounds interesting!
What kind of goats will you keep?

I often wonder how come we don’t eat other meats like other Europeans such as snails, rabbit and pigeon as they do in France?
I am not thinking bats or such.
Is it leg of goat or lamb that they have cured and dried hanging from ceilings of butchers in Italy, they shave it off like rashers?
have never tried goat but would be willing to give it a try. Let us know where you sell it through.

I often wonder how come we don’t eat other meats like other Europeans such as snails, rabbit and pigeon as they do in France?
Is it leg of goat or lamb that they have cured and dried hanging from ceilings of butchers in Italy, they shave it off like rashers?
have never tried goat but would be willing to give it a try. Let us know where you sell it through.
Haven't started selling, will do as soon as it's available. Goat meat Ireland sell it in 5kg boxes, and broughgammon farm in Antrim do goat burgers and rashers etc, really nice. I will be selling mainly in an around Tipperary as that is where I'm from and where I know I can sell.

Peacock, pheasant and venison is rare enough to find here too. Yeah that's how the Italians do goat, it's great in lasange. Goat meat Ireland and broughgammon farm are great places to try it it, Nationwide delivery from both.

The best of luck with your farming idea.

On the goat meat.
Its nearly 40 years ago that a neighbour killed a young puck goat . It was put into our deep freeze here .
I never ever wish to see or taste goat meat again. I think that the 2nd piece was cooked , just in case the 1st time was a mistake.
The rest was thrown out after that . it was a British Saanen .

Wife came home one day with some diced goat meat from the butcher. Don't know whether it was from a billy or what but we won't be in a rush to eat goat again.

Thanks Candor, I’m less involved at present, so I can’t take any credit. But thanks. I see you bought it “off the wheel”. A true connoisseur!
No worries, it's a credit to your family and employees. Yep, the lady at the farmers market gets a good workout cutting those wheels up every week 🙂

The best of luck with your farming idea.

On the goat meat.
Its nearly 40 years ago that a neighbour killed a young puck goat . It was put into our deep freeze here .
I never ever wish to see or taste goat meat again. I think that the 2nd piece was cooked , just in case the 1st time was a mistake.
The rest was thrown out after that . it was a British Saanen .
Hahaha,
Ah that's a shame, to be honest there is so many factors for, example if it still had testicles, it's age, it's diet, the way it's cooked etc. We cooked a leg last weekend only seasoned with basil added a bit of olive oil, cooked it low for 4hours, it was fantastic.
I still prefer lamb but goat is a great meat and healthy option. I got goat rashers made for us and cooked a fry with duck eggs, the whole family was squeemish about eating them at the time. They never noticed the difference, in fact my partner said she never had such good rashers (not a fan of fat on them).
I will say it's not for everyone though, the ethnic population love it with more gamey taste

This is on the list to try, several members have recommended it in the past.

I've often had rabbit and pigeon, it's a long time since I've had rabbit though as myxomatosis has wiped them out in this area and they never seemed to have come back. There are a good few hares about but I wouldn't hunt them.

This is on the list to try, several members have recommended it in the past.

I can vouch for it, i actually ordered some during the week to have over Christmas and sampled some for my lunch today. l would often have it with some brown soda bread if I wanted to prepare lunch in a hurry

Back