Good Value mag drill cutters set?

Not yet. It’ll be a Christmas job. Might make a start this week. The bushes are supposed to be 50mm but I bought a 52mm cutter just in case.
Will you be drilling the two holes from one side with an extension arbor, if you are will you get a few photos showing how you go about it

Will you be drilling the two holes from one side with an extension arbor, if you are will you get a few photos showing how you go about it
That’s a very good question!!

Its 3” box iron so I’d expect I’ll drill from either side but I’ll keep you posted. I haven’t tried the drill yet.

Ive a big old denbigh drill at home. 6ft6 tall . Belt drive with gearbox and self feed. Its a morse 3 taper and have the adapter to take the mag drill cutters.
It will drill the bushes out from one side.
The standard bushes are 50 and heavy duty bushes are 60 or 65mm afaik. .
Its a lovely job for it as the speed is very slow, drill is under no pressure at all.
I stopped using the mag drill for the 50mm holes and above . It gets under savage pressure when drilling especially in heavier wall box . The last double bale handler made was made with 10mm wall thickness 4 inch box iron

Just thought I’d update on the Magdrill.

Used it a few times now making 12, 20 & 33mm holes. What a brilliant tool. Instead of dreading big holes in steel, now I kind of look forward to drilling them!

Haven’t used the 50mm cutter yet but I expect she’ll go fine once used with care.

52EA6B70-CC9C-4E42-B226-8518D11827C4.jpeg

Can you store it in the case with the oil bottle on it .
Just thought I’d update on the Magdrill.

Used it a few times now making 12, 20 & 33mm holes. What a brilliant tool. Instead of dreading big holes in steel, now I kind of look forward to drilling them!

Haven’t used the 50mm cutter yet but I expect she’ll go fine once used with care.

View attachment 86386

They’re a brilliant tool, I use mostly 12, 15, 18, 22 and 25mm bits and the drilling is effortless. Biggest fear I’d have is of a power cut or cable accidentally pulled while the mag drill is magnetised to the side of a girder etc as a sudden drop would be catastrophic for the aluminum housing.
Yes, it’s definitely a risk when working at height.

The one here came with a substantial safety chain to prevent it hitting the ground should it detach.

Is it possible to put these cutters through a hole to ream it out?
I’m sure it is with great care. You’d need to ensure that they are running in line with the hole so that no side stresses are placed on the cutter.

I’m sure it is with great care. You’d need to ensure that they are running in line with the hole so that no side stresses are placed on the cutter.
I got a bushing that's a bit loose in a hole
Thinking to oversize it then make a sleeve to take a new original Bush

But I always thought the cutters like virgin steel to drill on

I got a bushing that's a bit loose in a hole
Thinking to oversize it then make a sleeve to take a new original Bush

But I always thought the cutters like virgin steel to drill on
I guess it depends on how much you want to remove (the more the better). Getting it lined up will be the challenge I think.

I guess it depends on how much you want to remove (the more the better). Getting it lined up will be the challenge I think.
Lined up and mount a mag drill
It's on a machine and will need a bracket welded or fastened on to mount the drill

@headcase I got one of these for pivots in a trailer.

Holes were originally 7/8 but gone oval and measured close on 24mm at the long side of the oval. Got a 24mm reamer and ran it in an aldi sds drill.

The taper makes it self aligning and the edge is hungry for metal.

The full three parts of the hinge was 3 inches through and I had each one done in a few minutes. Highly recommend for fixing holes, they come in all sorts of sizes and can be driven with an impact

@headcase I got one of these for pivots in a trailer.

Holes were originally 7/8 but gone oval and measured close on 24mm at the long side of the oval. Got a 24mm reamer and ran it in an aldi sds drill.

The taper makes it self aligning and the edge is hungry for metal.

The full three parts of the hinge was 3 inches through and I had each one done in a few minutes. Highly recommend for fixing holes, they come in all sorts of sizes and can be driven with an impact
Seems they only go to 26mm
I need in region of 50mm

They’re a brilliant tool, I use mostly 12, 15, 18, 22 and 25mm bits and the drilling is effortless. Biggest fear I’d have is of a power cut or cable accidentally pulled while the mag drill is magnetised to the side of a girder etc as a sudden drop would be catastrophic for the aluminum housing.

I sometimes use a G clamp to clamp the mag drill on if I’m weery of it coming loose for whatever reason.
Great tool, almost look forward to drilling a hole instead of dreading it!!
Not my own drill but I want to get my own one soon.

Looking to buy a mag drill have it down to these 3 anyone with knowledge of these and could give a bit of guidance

Back