Gps controller fertiliser spreaders

Anyone I know that has linked the GPS to spreader or sprayer is happy with it . I have passed a tillage field for the last 60 years and he has managed to lodge the ins and outs in every one of those years. The p+k in those spots must be fairly high . On the other hand he has not gone broke.

@Blackwater boy go liquid, the options are then endless on what sort of product you want to apply and how. Will granular your restricted to whats available. Fert goes exactly where its put and you will quickly see any misses as its so accurate.

@Blackwater boy go liquid, the options are then endless on what sort of product you want to apply and how. Will granular your restricted to whats available. Fert goes exactly where its put and you will quickly see any misses as its so accurate.
What do you mean granular restricts me to what is available ?I like the idea yes but in paddocks of all shapes and sizes, hills and hollows and the amount of folding in and out it just would not suit. It would be fine for tillage work. I’d need gps quidance for that too tho. The gps will also tick the box for a part of the eco scheme of the new cap.

To be fair.
The weigh cell machines were probably intended for the farms that spread enough fert that the 10% saving was a big chunk of the value put out for the spreader.
But as tech got cheaper they came more attractive to the smaller farm.

10% of 50T doesnt buy much.
10% of 500t buys a spreader!

Are they guessing the first round by any chance as in not using the guidance if they don't have a map saved of that field?
A friend of mine gets all his spread with a similar system and there isn't anything worth taking about out of place ever and his driveway borders a lot of paddocks
i presume the gps if set at 21 mtrs tells them where they need to drive on the first round but maybe not, like your friend its not a huge amount and i,m not worried about it but you,d wonder how any machine can be expected to throw a grain of nitrogen 21 and up to 33mtrs now with that much accuracy given wind direction and even differences in how fertiliser would flow on a very damp dreary day

i presume the gps if set at 21 mtrs tells them where they need to drive on the first round but maybe not, like your friend its not a huge amount and i,m not worried about it but you,d wonder how any machine can be expected to throw a grain of nitrogen 21 and up to 33mtrs now with that much accuracy given wind direction and even differences in how fertiliser would flow on a very damp dreary day
Not unless someone has driven round the outside to map the border.

Bredals are well known for being very poor at headlands and often striping fields. I’m talking about a mounted spreader.
What width do you spread at? I think if I was spreading at 12m then it might not make any sence at all. The salesman made no effort to try and tell me how good they were or how much I would save as I wasn’t entertaining that conversation. I’m asking here for user experience of these type machines to see what lads think. The price would be less than half of the figure you mentioned.
i only spread at 12 mtrs and i,m not in the market for one of those spreaders but a salesman i asked about a s/h spreader said a basic spreader to enable me to draw down the grant would start at 22k , i,m learning a lot on here about these as well and it seems it time thats being saved rather than fertiliser

I am spreading high rates at 30M and I have not levelled a field in years. I have had extremely heavy crops of Barley and there would not be a dimple in them . I always worry that I will make a gross error when spreading but I have been lucky.
The headland has a very clear cut off line . So if I drove a meter wide there would be a yellow strip at the outside.

I am spreading high rates at 30M and I have not levelled a field in years. I have had extremely heavy crops of Barley and there would not be a dimple in them . I always worry that I will make a gross error when spreading but I have been lucky.
The headland has a very clear cut off line . So if I drove a meter wide there would be a yellow strip at the outside.
Do you have a gps controlled section control machine?

Do you have a gps controlled section control machine?
GPS could be fitted and it would reduce rates on narrow ground but not section control. I was going to buy a cheap GPS for the fertilizer spreading tractor . 22 years using the E6 Vanes on Bogballe spreaders so I can nearly spread the fields by memory.

There wouldn't be a hope in hell I'd go away from the gps controling the spreader here. I think the point some are missing is if you want to put X amount of kgs/ha that's what goes out, no matter if you speed up or slow down. The spreader been able to open/shut on headlands and reducing rate in narrow ground is great imo. Back few years ago I was spreading for silage. Fertilizer will normally have a flow rate of -.2%. Was spreading 18s. First pallet in was bang on the flow rate. Came back for the next fill, the fertilizer was completely different all wet in its self. Was watching the flow it went to +40 %. She put it out bang on. If that had been a normal run of the mill spreader she wouldn't have gotten the rate right. Sopose my point is the consistency of fert ain't what it used to be and how it flows through the machine will have a big impact on if to much or little goes out. I have been there throw in a bag and head to a 10ac field at a bag to the AC and see what the out come is when you finish and readjust then. Least the other way once you set your amount that's what goes out. We never dreamed we would have this type of tech to spread fert but I wouldn't be without it now.

GPS could be fitted and it would reduce rates on narrow ground but not section control. I was going to buy a cheap GPS for the fertilizer spreading tractor . 22 years using the E6 Vanes on Bogballe spreaders so I can nearly spread the fields by memory.
i thought you did buy a gps after?
dont see youself stuck for a spare set of e6's,might know a man with a new set or 2 ..... with f4f discount included......

What do you mean granular restricts me to what is available ?I like the idea yes but in paddocks of all shapes and sizes, hills and hollows and the amount of folding in and out it just would not suit. It would be fine for tillage work. I’d need gps quidance for that too tho. The gps will also tick the box for a part of the eco scheme of the new cap.
You can make up any formulation with liquid, add a bit of zinc in early season, a bit of extra Magnesium during vulnerable periods, special mixes on silage to correct any potential winter forage problem.

If you want the cheapest accuracy, it will come with an fairly cheap sprayer with section control, add on the GPS onto that and no granular spreader will touch it for accuracy.

Reactions: Paw
You can make up any formulation with liquid, add a bit of zinc in early season, a bit of extra Magnesium during vulnerable periods, special mixes on silage to correct any potential winter forage problem.

If you want the cheapest accuracy, it will come with an fairly cheap sprayer with section control, add on the GPS onto that and no granular spreader will touch it for accuracy.
What about efficiency? Bang for your buck

Are you on about home mixing fert by melting urea?

Are you on about home mixing fert by melting urea?
Nope, you can buy a standard off the shelf liquid soil applied fertiliser and mix in a micro nutrient if they are compatible, similar you can go down the foliar feeding route onto the leaf an apply traces in this fashion

on what are your trying to achieve. soil applied liquid fertilisers will get somewhat higher efficiency, over a like for like granular product, then you can add in different forms of N/carbon compounds, and efficiencies can you up substancially, up to a point. Beware of false gods proclaiming massive improvements in efficiency.

Back