Grain prices

Trump's trade wars destroyed the US farmer's prices, the price rises are mainly only recovering lost ground, but rural areas need at least this.
The average age of US farmers went over 65 during Trump's term, funny how he shafted his most ardent supporters, but then he is a New Yorker, he always looked down on farmers.
Maybe I was reading the wrong articles but I thought Trump won the farmer vote during last Novembers election?

Sold a few tonne of HEAR rape at €440 green price earlier this week. Looking at this perhaps we should have waited a little longer.

Volunteer rape in beet for years after growing it. Hand pulling it the first crop after rape. 3 years later and still growing in the beet. Debut knocks it back but still there.
Stalks blocking on the shakers can happen too.

i remember passing a field of winter rape one november thinking how forward it was to be in flower! Spring volunteers through whole crop

I got on well with spring Rape but the price went down and fertilizer went up. The next crop is index two for nitrogen so can leave you tight the next year if you are obeying the rules. In the year that you grow it is allowed 180 units?? And 110 is plenty so gives you wriggle room.

I enquired this morning about forward price for harvest, got email there before lunch, €400 @9%.
Not what I was expecting after viewing posts above

I taught the Irish Rape prices arent that closely correlated to the French future prices so as merchants can make a few more quid

I had spring rape for 14 years and got on well with it, handy enough to grow and only one really late harvest in 07, mid October and moisture in the 20's. 2018 was a disaster, 0.65t/ac, died in the drought and grew again after the rain in August. 2 years I had 1.3 and 1.4 but generally over 1.5t... Often had spring wheat to cut after rape. I have HEAR Rape sown this year and held out on selling just yet.

Wow, talk of $6/bushel Maize is optimistic, to say the least, 7 1/2 years since there were prices like that and that was with out the trade wars and tariffs that Trump brought about.
I am not talking down our prices in any way, but forecasting US Maize at $6/bushel is wild and equates to $75/T rise in prices, or a 43% rise ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Everything else seem reasonable till he lost the run of himself.
Quite an optimistic view on grain prices in the Journal.
I can’t remember when I last saw such an outlook.
Hopefully it materialises.
Was the person in the journal clairvoyant or did they mix things up?
Hope they had made a big bet on their predictions, if they did they are now looking into mooring charges and ringing Kelly's every day to see when they are reopening.

Back