Grain prices

Quick to set the price this year, it must be still rising on international markets!

Glanbia announces grain prices for members
That’s a fair price.

Quick to set the price this year, it must be still rising on international markets!

Glanbia announces grain prices for members
Good prices. It'll be hard to see too many independent merchants matching the prices paid to shareholders. A good year to be a tillage farmer.

Have some private merchants already set their prices last week and paid out in full?
Yes. They didn't dither or prick about getting the finger out this year to set prices. No doubt they expect further rises and are afraid of having to fork out more. The way fert is going and Yara cutting N production by 40% allegedly we'll have no need to be stacking the excess 50's under the mattress.

Yes. They didn't dither or prick about getting the finger out this year to set prices. No doubt they expect further rises and are afraid of having to fork out more. The way fert is going and Yara cutting N production by 40% allegedly we'll have no need to be stacking the excess 50's under the mattress.
What did they pay?

So that makes it ok to share my personal information does it?. Last i looked that's a breach of, what's that aul rule that came in in recent times again?.
Personal information is what is in your bank account, not what a merchant is paying for grain.
The irish independent have and article on what glanbia are paying a few posts up.

I taught grain prices were public knowledge. They are down this part of the country anyway.
I sell grain via a Group so the price is other peoples business . I also sell grain for our family partnership so it is other peoples business . I sometimes have grain that is bought off me because it is a particular variety and other factors come in like I can store it and keep it separate and load it and the customer might put a value on that . I have loaded wheat that went to a fish farm in a year when there was low bushel weight wheat knocking about .

I sell grain via a Group so the price is other peoples business . I also sell grain for our family partnership so it is other peoples business . I sometimes have grain that is bought off me because it is a particular variety and other factors come in like I can store it and keep it separate and load it and the customer might put a value on that . I have loaded wheat that went to a fish farm in a year when there was low bushel weight wheat knocking about .
You know what I’m taking about, I’m referring to the standard base price that a merchant pays for green grain at Harvest such as glanbias price yesterday and dairygold etc, not what any private deals that may be outside of those terms may be. The likes of the standard base prices printed on agriland or the journal etc.

Not sure what it's like down south but around here there is a lot of independent merchants and there would be a lot of different wheeling and dealing done with individual customers that wouldn't be done with the likes of dairygold and glanbia and growers would be reluctant to divulge figures

Not sure what it's like down south but around here there is a lot of independent merchants and there would be a lot of different wheeling and dealing done with individual customers that wouldn't be done with the likes of dairygold and glanbia and growers would be reluctant to divulge figures
Got the paper work from one merchant yesterday, the computer put all grain in at €145 for Oats, €155 for Barley and €165 for wheat and what ever deal was done worked from there, what price he was paying Joe Farmer I don't have a clue, but I will bet Josephine Farmer and John Farmer will get slightly different deals depending on their account status.

Last edited:

I think that is a tad unfair. Most merchants want to lock in prices and move on. This is very much dependent on what other financial options are there to offset risks as well as the demand for feed. If you are that concerned about future price increases then perhaps you should play on the markets as well but I'll guarantee with a fixed price now in or around 200 euro a tonne you will be happier. Barley price has being hovering around this mark for a while now so nothing new.

Also it is is not fully in their interest to have low prices either or Bill's wont be cleared

And also, in private merchants defence, this is one of the earliest payouts and last year when prices hardened I certainly got a small topup again which i was not expecting and was welcome.

And unlike major "coops" no need to have 5 figure sums tied up in shares.

I dont work for a private merchant, have no affiliation with any, deal with some of them alright, before anyone suggests so but all have a business to run.

Back