Grain prices

If an independent quoted 200 do you think a man would be justified in looking for the 210 that glanbia announced.

I think that is a tad unfair. Most merchants want to lock in prices and move on. This is very much dependent on what other financial options are there to offset risks as well as the demand for feed. If you are that concerned about future price increases then perhaps you should play on the markets as well but I'll guarantee with a fixed price now in or around 200 euro a tonne you will be happier. Barley price has being hovering around this mark for a while now so nothing new.

Also it is is not fully in their interest to have low prices either or Bill's wont be cleared

And also, in private merchants defence, this is one of the earliest payouts and last year when prices hardened I certainly got a small topup again which i was not expecting and was welcome.

And unlike major "coops" no need to have 5 figure sums tied up in shares.

I dont work for a private merchant, have no affiliation with any, deal with some of them alright, before anyone suggests so but all have a business to run.
I was a bit harsh in fairness now I re-read that. I get on very well were I deal and in fairness. I was just somewhat surprised to learn prices had been set so soon.

If an independent quoted 200 do you think a man would be justified in looking for the 210 that glanbia announced.
If your independent's quote of €200 was without any conditions attached, such as buying a certain amount of inputs, would it not be better than Glanbia's €210 which includes a transport allowance to drying locations and €10 trading bonus which is subject to minimum purchases so therefore in reality is less than €200.

If your independent's quote of €200 was without any conditions attached, such as buying a certain amount of inputs, would it not be better than Glanbia's €210 which includes a transport allowance to drying locations and €10 trading bonus which is subject to minimum purchases so therefore in reality is less than €200.
Sold my wheat to Glanbia, they have a co op that takes some grain around 4 mile from the field and Portlaoise would be 16. Was going into the wheat one night and rang my “business manager” to say I was going to tip in the local spot to keep trailers empty , he piped up that I’ll loose my transport bonus, my reply was no I won’t I’ll still get €3 as that’s built into the inputs bonus and the other €3 is a bonus we get for being ex miles from Portlaoise, it would only just pay me to go to Portlaoise at the 6 anyway. He wasn’t best pleased about being caught out on his “bonus scheme”

Sold my wheat to Glanbia, they have a co op that takes some grain around 4 mile from the field and Portlaoise would be 16. Was going into the wheat one night and rang my “business manager” to say I was going to tip in the local spot to keep trailers empty , he piped up that I’ll loose my transport bonus, my reply was no I won’t I’ll still get €3 as that’s built into the inputs bonus and the other €3 is a bonus we get for being ex miles from Portlaoise, it would only just pay me to go to Portlaoise at the 6 anyway. He wasn’t best pleased about being caught out on his “bonus scheme”
Explain that to me again?
The base price before any bonus was 210 for wheat but that included 3 for transport.

Explain that to me again?
The base price before any bonus was 210 for wheat but that included 3 for transport.
The inputs bonus is normally €10 , so when they are quoting you they will say sure the 10 will be there plus transport, most people in our catchment area think they will get 10 plus 6 , it used to be that way but in the last few years they have shifted half the transport into the inputs bonus so now it’s 10 plus 3. The transport we get is something to do with an agreement made when out local intake was closed down over 25 years ago.

The inputs bonus is normally €10 , so when they are quoting you they will say sure the 10 will be there plus transport, most people in our catchment area think they will get 10 plus 6 , it used to be that way but in the last few years they have shifted half the transport into the inputs bonus so now it’s 10 plus 3. The transport we get is something to do with an agreement made when out local intake was closed down over 25 years ago.
The base price is actually 197 and 207, the €3 is then transport and the €10 is input bonus once a person buys €60 per tonne of inputs I think. I get confused.
Still a good price tho.

The base price is actually 197 and 207, the €3 is then transport and the €10 is input bonus once a person buys €60 per tonne of inputs I think. I get confused.
Now you are confusing me !!!! The wheat I delivered to my local co op came to 220 where as if I went to Portlaoise I would get another 3 . It’s not an option that’s country wide tho as far as I know , When the local co op closed we had to go to Raheen which was the big mill at the time but when that closed the extra transport was put in for our catchment area.

So in reality you are loosing €3/tonne whatever way the figures are massaged. They are getting the grain haulage done by the farmer for a pittance, I couldn't see a haulier doing it for €3/tonne no matter what tonnage was to be moved.
I'm open to correction but I think they have closed Ballytore as a drying location too, come to think of it I don't know if they will take grain there now as a loader that was there was in Graigcullen at harvest time.

So in reality you are loosing €3/tonne whatever way the figures are massaged. They are getting the grain haulage done by the farmer for a pittance, I couldn't see a haulier doing it for €3/tonne no matter what tonnage was to be moved.
I'm open to correction but I think they have closed Ballytore as a drying location too, come to think of it I don't know if they will take grain there now as a loader that was there was in Graigcullen at harvest time.
Yes Ballytore intake is closed the oats are delivered to Harris intake and green grain to David Owens Agri intake

As I said before I sold Barley collected a month after harvest at way higher price than is being talked about. I also sold forward at lower price delivered. If I allow €3 for the collection I should average €205 / tonne @ 20 % if I was delivering

Yes Ballytore intake is closed the oats are delivered to Harris intake and green grain to David Owens Agri intake
Is Harris only doing the gluten free oats? I know they do the haulage from field to dryer for the gluten free and I had it in my mind that they store it as well on account of it having to be separate from everything else?

Is Harris only doing the gluten free oats? I know they do the haulage from field to dryer for the gluten free and I had it in my mind that they store it as well on account of it having to be separate from everything else?
Yes the Harris intake drying and storage site handles only oats. Gluten-free and standard food-grade. Similar to what Ballytore was until it was closed.

Ballytore is where some of the milk is processed as well isn't it?
That's right, the site was shared between a liquid milk plant, a grain intake and an agri retail store. The milk plant has grown massively over the last few years while the grain facilities were getting shook. I'd expect the milk plant will take over the entire site in time.

Mise en ligne SPOT pour la campagne 2022: Blé tendre 10 000T à 210€/T; Blé dur 5000T à 300€/T; Triticale 2000T à 190€/T; Orge Fourragère 3000T à 200€/T; Orge Printemps Planet 2000T à 220€/T; Mais 3000T à 185€/T; Tournesols 3000T à 430€/T. Connectez-vous sur Dialog ou contactez votre CTC

Forward price for next July/august.

Back