Grain prices

Sold about 3,000 ton of various grains and protein for members of the group.
Wheat and Beans in demand, Barley and Oats much less so, I can never remember a €24 differential between wheat and barley.
Some reasonable offers for wheat out there. The only thing that is making me hesitant about selling is the reduced acreage of native wheat out there, making it scarce and hopefully valuable come harvest.

With the almost complete abandoning of ethanol production it’s looking like cheap, really cheap, maize is going to flood the market. That’ll probably drag down barley and other coarse grains with it.
With memories of food riots in the minds of governments, importing nations are putting upwards pressure on wheat prices to secure supplies for the global recession ahead. Coupled with export restrictions imposed by governments in wheat exporting nations, I think wheat will remain buoyant, but I’d be fearful for barley, maize etc.
IMHO.

That was lovely text off boortmalt this evening. I wonder will they give back on the price of seed the % they are going to pull on the contracts..

That was lovely text off boortmalt this evening. I wonder will they give back on the price of seed the % they are going to pull on the contracts..
Any idea what the % cut will be? Very disappointing but unfortunately not surprising. It's on days like this I'm very glad we only grow a small fraction of the malting barley that we did in the past.

Fact. I think they should have came out at sowing time and said something to not wait till it's in the ground and top dressed. I don't grow a big amount only do it for straw really. Think I might sell the w wheat and keep the barley now

Fact. I think they should have came out at sowing time and said something to not wait till it's in the ground and top dressed. I don't grow a big amount only do it for straw really. Think I might sell the w wheat and keep the barley now
Unfortunately the covid impact was not evident a month ago. It’s easy see why they cut the amount but it’s going to rightly feic up the feed barley market.

It's as expected unfortunately. Irish distillers are to close for 5 to 6 weeks next month. Only a few months ago they only shut for 2 days for xmas. All these companies are running JIT at either end.

Any idea what the % cut will be? Very disappointing but unfortunately not surprising. It's on days like this I'm very glad we only grow a small fraction of the malting barley that we did in the past.

Unfortunately this is going to be the norm for a long while to come. Been realistic last week when talking about such issues on another thread, you were calling it scaremongering.

Well the government here have shut down lots of things, time to shut down some of the barley imports!
A friend rang up B about seed in early March. Told take as much as you want but we mightn't want it in the harvest due to this virus. Went in to collect the seed in New Ross and here they were unloading a shipload of barley into the stores. Globalism is now local.

They are pulling back on malt contracts even though they brought in a boat load of it one Sunday morning at the harvest last year. They intake in Ross had to be closed while the rest of us were out cutting. I wonder will they be left with seed bills. This will rightly get up growers backs.

They are pulling back on malt contracts even though they brought in a boat load of it one Sunday morning at the harvest last year. They intake in Ross had to be closed while the rest of us were out cutting. I wonder will they be left with seed bills. This will rightly get up growers backs.
They rub the growers face in it every year yet they still grow it for them.

A man that stores grain told me yesterday that he has 1000 tonnes of roasting barley in a shed for the lads that make the black stuff and there's no shift on it, could be a lot of it going for feed. It makes sense that they don't want it with no pubs or hotels open and probably a limited consumer base for large bottles. At harvest time a lot of malt/distilling barley could be rejected for not meeting spec (= we have too much).

Unfortunately this is going to be the norm for a long while to come. Been realistic last week when talking about such issues on another thread, you were calling it scaremongering.
I honestly have better things to be doing, but I'll explain this again:
The scaremongering I was referring to was the widespread retweeting and sharing of the emotive videos of unfortunate dairy farmers in the U.K. and USA dumping their milk down the drain and suggesting that Irish dairy farmers are next. This is then followed up by unhelpful rumours on the ground that processors won't be able to handle peak milk and suggestions that dairy farmers should be very grateful to accept major price cuts as long as the milk truck empties their bulk tank.

We as farmers have enough to deal with at the moment without giving processors, factories, mills, merchants etc an open goal.

In a situation such as this global pandemic, price cuts are inevitable but it's important that the pain is shared equally across all sectors and not just passed on to the primary producer. Is this happening? I'm not convinced.

While it's important to be realistic, we as farmers should be talking positive about our produce and the markets we supply. We should oppose price and contract cuts. And we should resist any sensationalism, hysteria or scaremongering that puts our livelihood in jeopardy. That's what I will continue doing. Loudly and proudly.

Last edited:
They rub the growers face in it every year yet they still grow it for them.

You could say that literally too with the amount of analysis at intake.:rolleyes2:

Was there any mention of the percentage cut or is it all varieties?

You could say that literally too with the amount of analysis at intake.:rolleyes2:

Was there any mention of the percentage cut or is it all varieties?
It sounds like across the board on all. I heard 20% earlier yesterday so god knows where it will end up. Wonder will they do the same as always and ask to tip it in the feed heap for them to load it up and go for malt either way

I thought they were still looking for people to grow it on contract.

They are not doing a great job on PR at the moment with this and the way seed growers were treated.

I thought they were still looking for people to grow it on contract.

They are not doing a great job on PR at the moment with this and the way seed growers were treated.
Did they ever. They could be left with seed bills this year if they keep up this crack. Are you ment to buy the spray off them still? Think the ifa are in talks with them now to try sort it.

I’m not very clued into grain markets and so on but surely that’s a positive for harvest prices?? What’s the thinking behind the move?

Back