Grain prices

All I can say is I wouldn't think any hatches were opened today with the rain that fell.

The one from Spain is still there, another has arrived from Belfast and the 3rd came from Rouen.

Last edited:
This is just local word im hearing but seen this on fb too

Attachments

• F861AFD6-1EC8-422F-B311-2FE3A45124A7.png
    F861AFD6-1EC8-422F-B311-2FE3A45124A7.png
    565.3 KB · Views: 88
Chatting to a friend yesterday who works for a merchant, he felt price would be around 150, didn’t specify if that was before or after bonus’s though

I’m just in from hedge cutting, drinking isn’t good for ya either but I’ll probably have a bottle or 2 after also just to really mess things up :drunk:

Attachments

• 2EA00803-517C-48D2-A5D5-A3D8DFEA348C.jpeg
    2EA00803-517C-48D2-A5D5-A3D8DFEA348C.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 52
Will give my take on Geopolitics causing wild swings in US grain and protein markets.

After I have had my tea.
Weather events and crop losses in China haven't been reported much if at all in the west. India are struggling too, that's a quarter of the worlds population. A 10 or 15% drop in production in those countries can lead to a big demand very quickly.

The 48% drop in Soya stocks are a bit of an anomaly caused by Trump's trade war with China. When Trump started the trade war with China they retaliated with tariffs on US farm produce. China was the main export destination for US Soya beans and Soya bean oil, so China's tariffs drastically reduced China's purchases of US soya products and reduced the price paid to US farmers. This in turn caused China to aggressively buy from other sources, mainly Brazil, and used up some?????????????????? of their stocks, it also made Soya less attractive to grow for US farmers. Medium term China can not avoid buying US Soya without causing a massive spike in prices in China and or use up all their stocks, or both. So China had to jump back into the US Soya market, which it seems they did in style and bought up a lot of cheap Soya.
So in short, stocks built in '18 and '19 because of China not buying as much meaning stocks were at record levels in '19 and then when China jumped back in to the US Soya market, to rebuild stocks and stop price spikes in China, it caused stocks to drop back to more normal levels.
The trade wars have acted as an anchor on grain and proteins market prices, because the US was dumping to try keep stocks under some sort of control.

Back