Grain prices

Personally, I'd prefer to see farmers thriving. But that's a moot point. I've struggled with this one for a while and I sometimes wonder does the co-op bonus actually support the price sometimes. It is a genius scheme to pay farmers with co-op money and supply mill with competitively priced ingredients...... but I agree with @gone here. The ludicrous situation where you could draw your grain around in circles and collect everytime is actually hilarious.
Did you tip your grain in Glanbia, or did you avail of the, take it home for a tenner special deal without tipping

So could you sell it to them twice so😂
Well only if.....And stay with me here....you were also eligible for the meal purchase loyalty rebate. Also of 10 euro. Now we draw it in. Weigh it. Tip it and weigh. Load again weigh again. Turn around and repeat process until diesel runs out. Potential magic of 20 a tonne if I'm not gone completely dizzy. I love this country.

Well only if.....And stay with me here....you were also eligible for the meal purchase loyalty rebate. Also of 10 euro. Now we draw it in. Weigh it. Tip it and weigh. Load again weigh again. Turn around and repeat process until diesel runs out. Potential magic of 20 a tonne if I'm not gone completely dizzy. I love this country.
It's a wonder some smart alec hasn't tried that, they've tried every other trick in the book.

I'm not a fan of the use of co-op funds to top up the grain price either Gone, it's basically paying shareholders with their own money but I'm just interested to hear how else it is going to come back to bite farmers?
Initially, when they started using co-op funds I was concerned it would be anti-competitive, giving Glanbia an unfair advantage over private merchants in the feed market. However, in the 5+ years since, I've noted independent merchants setting up new depots, building new feed mills, buying up significant farms of land and it seems they're not doing so bad after all. It's good to see - a thriving agribusiness sector is essential to ensure competition and value for the farmer.
They are spinning out the value of the Co-op while protecting the assets of the Plc. Even though my grandfather was one of the founders of one of the small branches that made up Glanbia and I am a Plc and Co-op shareholder, (they wouldn't put the Co-op shares in my name) I have never sold grain to them and don't really follow their accounting trickery. @Bog Man may be willing to comment further on their shenanigans.

I deal with Glanbia and Quinns. Quinns pay out all harvest money as soon a price has been agreed, I wont get the last of this harvest cheque from Glanbia till next March. Quinns charge no interest on account (well they do but its all knocked off again) Glanbia charge 2% a month or 24% a year on my account, you might get August and Septembers knocked off but it would want to be a bad year. Quinns pay for the transport of my grain, don't know what the charge is Quinns pick up the tab. Glanbia give you a % of the haulage but then I have to pay the transport company the full amount. Last year that was 10k.Also Quinns are about 20% cheaper on inputs that Glanbia. The reason I stay with Glanbia is they give me contracts for malting barley, porridge oats, roasting barley and seed.

I deal with Glanbia and Quinns. Quinns pay out all harvest money as soon a price has been agreed, I wont get the last of this harvest cheque from Glanbia till next March. Quinns charge no interest on account (well they do but its all knocked off again) Glanbia charge 2% a month or 24% a year on my account, you might get August and Septembers knocked off but it would want to be a bad year. Quinns pay for the transport of my grain, don't know what the charge is Quinns pick up the tab. Glanbia give you a % of the haulage but then I have to pay the transport company the full amount. Last year that was 10k.Also Quinns are about 20% cheaper on inputs that Glanbia. The reason I stay with Glanbia is they give me contracts for malting barley, porridge oats, roasting barley and seed.
Some difference there. i deal with barryroe here they payed out the bulk on any barley received by the 8th of the month ie 8th of aug they paid 125 a ton for barley delivered same in September just got the balance today, next June they usually give a small bonus payment based on inputs and barley delivered. I only set a few acres but they have been great to deal with especially in yard when delivering

So does that mean Iggy essentially for those premium crops you have many more costs and your net margin is close to non contracted crops.

Sobering thought and I hope I'm wrong.

I only load after 10am when the Banks open and I can make sure the Cheques have not bounced and the Bank Drafts are Kosher .
I heard that groups of soldiers are sent down from the Curragh to guard Tullow when Bogman is depositing his grain payments.

The Central Bank are also scrambling to gather up the €500 notes that recently came back into circulation following a Wexford tractor purchase, they are watching dealers yards to see if any muck forks are sold as more notes are likely to appear. €500 notes are much more efficient to stash behind straw bales than dirty wrinkled €50’s.

Would you really get 200 for barley and 225 for wheat if you went to sell it tomorrow tho? Unlikely
Those prices are from a crowd that trade grain, those prices are what they sell out at not what they'd give the farmer for his grain.
I'm sure given those prices above if you were to offer grain for €10- €15 below those you'd get buyers but you'd have to give a months credit and be woeful sure you were going to get paid and have a system in place of ensuring payment.

Thanks @bagenal

That’s another bit of positive news regarding the price of grain, a few weeks back, we discussed the prices offered by Glanbia, Dairygold and other merchants.

I struggle to understand, how both then and now, there’s not more positive posts from members on here who are involved in the tillage sector.
We should imo, be taking up our products and their prices.

Is it that farmers have been beaten down for so long?
Taking ridiculously low prices for what we sell.
While accepting the price rises on farm inputs?

Ive used an inflation calculator to work out what price grain should be today, based on what we got for grain, when we first started growing a bit.
Green barley today should be €275.

I’ve also worked it out on our first new tractor, a fiat 100-90 bought in 1994.
A similar sized tractor today based on inflation should cost €50,000 plus vat.
Hard to find a similar tractor to compare today, id imagine a NH with very basic spec wouldn’t be that far out.

The price of grain is so far behind it’s hard to believe.
I’ll stick with what I posted a few weeks back, the starting price for quality Irish feed barley is €160/t @20m.

There are two figures I’d like to see, if anyone can help.
The total amount of grain, (wheat, barley and maize) produced in the world.
The total amount of grain, that is actually physically traded between counties.

I had thought a good bit of the heat had gone out of the market in the last 10 days or so.
The Paris wheat prices had dropped from a very good high by €10 in the last few days US markets including Soya had done the same, it surprised me that the person that @bagenal was talking to was driving home a very different message, but I will bet he was sell grain ad not buying.

Back