grain weevil in feed barley

headcase

Very Senior Member
seems the mild weather has gotten me a infestation:undecided:
whats best way to get rid?
about 35ton in shed

Chemical treatment is the most effective method.
Kobiol is the name of it.
You can also use the smoke bomb yokes and cover the heap with plastic, cannot remember the name.
You’ll have to give the shed a serious washing when it’s all gone, walls and roofs etc and spray it a few times with insecticide. They are a right pain in the area when they get into a place.

Chemical treatment is the most effective method.
Kobiol is the name of it.
You can also use the smoke bomb yokes and cover the heap with plastic, cannot remember the name.
You’ll have to give the shed a serious washing when it’s all gone, walls and roofs etc and spray it a few times with insecticide. They are a right pain in the area when they get into a place.
I seem to get better results from Coragen.
The K-obiol needs to be used several times to break the reproduction cycle but once or twice with Coragen seems to clear them out.

I can borrow a couple of fans,
But the weevils seem to be well in now🤦‍♂️
Waiting on some kobiol, will need to borrow a few trailers and move it all out then auger treat it back in🤦‍♂️
Is rolling the lot and treating it an option to curtail the weevils?.

I can borrow a couple of fans,
But the weevils seem to be well in now🤦‍♂️
Waiting on some kobiol, will need to borrow a few trailers and move it all out then auger treat it back in🤦‍♂️
We got an infestation in a 700t pile back when we were a bit green to the drying/storing game. A royal dose it was. The cooling with fans worked to slow the spread of a hot spot but didn't eradicate completely.
We moved the whole lot fairly quick after.
Washed the entire shed after and sprayed a few times with an insecticide for the job. It never happened again after but we gave more time to cooling the grain when drying and when in storage.

35t wouldn't be too hard to move and treat.

If popcorn doesn't kill them I can't see urea doing the job
It’s highly unlikely that one treatment will eradicate the weevil..and when the shed is cleaned out you’ll need to do a deep clean and possibly fumigate. If you know someone with poultry houses they’ll probably have something large enough to fumigate your shed.

It’s highly unlikely that one treatment will eradicate the weevil..and when the shed is cleaned out you’ll need to do a deep clean and possibly fumigate. If you know someone with poultry houses they’ll probably have something large enough to fumigate your shed.
I can't do anything like that at the moment as there are a run of cubicles either side of the heap and full of cattle🤦‍♂️

I can't do anything like that at the moment as there are a run of cubicles either side of the heap and full of cattle🤦‍♂️
Double dose of propionic acid and crimp?
Might be worth asking an agronomist if the double dose would keep the weevil at bay.

Speak of an ass, we keep a bit of barley and roll it, just one of those things we always done, it's probably not worth the bother and was wondering should we just roll and treat a bigger amount and keep it at harvest time or just buy rolled barley in the winter. Anyway there was a few in it all along but nothing major but in the last few days they have multipled, there's only 2t of barley left but 5t of meal in the shed, I'd dump the barley but obviously can't dump the meal, can any harm come of them or could the shed just go black with them if they stay multiplying

Back