Grass Growth Rates

Great idea @nashmach. The growth rate around here was nearly non existent the last few weeks with all the rain, now though with this sudden burst of heat yesterday and today the ground is drying out nicely and you can nearly see the grass growing in frontof you :lol:. Well needed though.
Will be interesting to see the difference between parts of the country in all fairness. Always said thirty good acres in the hands oof a good farmer will do more than 100 bad acres with a middling farmer :yes:.

Not measuring exactly but the growth in the past 7 days has been the highest of the year here between enough rain and massive heat but no burning sun.

Growth last week was 88
Cover per livestock unit 280, so baled a, paddock last week and brought heifers home to grazing block, another paddock heading for the pit today. As soon as I get silage done I'll go measure again and see what the situation is like this week, but I suspect my cover per livestock unit will be higher than desirable.

This is going to be a serious few days growth, will throw up a few figures later in week. My fresh ground looks to be up at 100kgs growth . Was out digging with the shovel getting a few samples for liming last Sunday and after 2 great weeks of rain/mist I couldn't believe how bone dry the soil was, complete powder from below an 1" down to 6". Gave all grass 2 bags of 18-6-12&s yesterday irrespective of index or if slurry applied. I find grass needs a pick me up mid season for some reason.

What's the maximum daily growth rate anyone/or teagasc has ever recorded??

Last edited:
Have only started grass measuring in the last few weeks so I'm still only learning.
Did a walk this evening and have a cover per LU of 170 up from 150 last week.
Would think we're set up to increase this next week.
What do people use for measuring?
Cut and weigh the odd one and eyeball, plate meter or just eyeball them when you get in on it?
Have been doing a weekly walk with 2 other farmers and our advisor which was a great start but I'll get hard to keep it up now with harvest starting so I'll be on my own.

Grass growth has definitely improved significantly and it's back to nice leafy stuff not shooting out at every available opportunity. I might shake out a bag of can on some of the grazed fields and maybe a shot of 10:10:20 on the lower moorey fields. I always find compound fertiliser does a lot better on them. I don't bother measuring grass, a walk around checking does me fine.

Have only started grass measuring in the last few weeks so I'm still only learning.
Did a walk this evening and have a cover per LU of 170 up from 150 last week.
Would think we're set up to increase this next week.
What do people use for measuring?
Cut and weigh the odd one and eyeball, plate meter or just eyeball them when you get in on it?
Have been doing a weekly walk with 2 other farmers and our advisor which was a great start but I'll get hard to keep it up now with harvest starting so I'll be on my own.

A friend of mine bought a fancy plate meter . He had to walk all the field and map out the boundrys and field numbers
.when he does the measuring all info is then uploaded on his phone and tablet fine piece of kit but was €1000.

Fair play. You have opened the door to big improvements in grassland management.
I use an electronic plate meter here, use the agrinet software on my phone to upload the figures as I'm walking the farm.

I often wonder what I'm doing wrong as I never get these crazy figures, me thinks either me or "them" aren't very accurate at measuring.:undecided:. Lads up the country just seem to do everything better anyway.:laugh:
Just over 90 was the highest over the last week in new ley continuous silage ground.
Then again I only do a proper measure every few months to determine what fields are next for reseeding or other attention. Constant measuring to me would only be a fitness regime, as I'm well stocked and never have surpluses

Last edited:
This was my measure from yesterday. I haven't put out any nitrogen in 3 weeks so that's why the growth was a bit low

Attachments

• IMG_20160722_123433.jpg
    IMG_20160722_123433.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 289
Cover/cow is now 188 after taking out a few paddocks and having the rapid response team in (54 heifers). Heifers moved off now and effective stocking rate is at 4.4. Will probably take out another 2 paddocks in the next 2 weeks (growth and weather permitting) and try hover around the 190 mark until then.

Grass growth: 70.5/day from last week's measurement, going to do another one today and I expect it to be over 80 since grass is really jumping now

a field reseeded in may this year. first cut mowed off it 7 days ago. have never seen regrowth like it ever

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 281
Back