Grass Growth Rates

You’ll hammer grass growth rolling in this weather
You could make an argument that you will hammer grass growth with rolling in any weather. If you are following cows that have peeled off a paddock clean immediately with a roller, it is hard to see how you would hammer grass growth. I am not a huge fan of rolling in general but there is a need for it in certain situations. If I didn't roll the headlands in some of our silage ground, then the silage contractor would stop coming to pick our silage, always a chance of a piece of falling timber or stone that could roll out of a ditch.

You could make an argument that you will hammer grass growth with rolling in any weather. If you are following cows that have peeled off a paddock clean immediately with a roller, it is hard to see how you would hammer grass growth. I am not a huge fan of rolling in general but there is a need for it in certain situations. If I didn't roll the headlands in some of our silage ground, then the silage contractor would stop coming to pick our silage, always a chance of a piece of falling timber or stone that could roll out of a ditch.
It depends on how long after the paddock was grazed when you begin rolling. The idea is to stay in a paddock for no more than 2 days as grazed grass will start throwing up regrowths after that.
That regrowth come from energy stored in the grass plant while it was growing.
If you graze that off or break it off after it shooting up, that paddock is going to take a lot longer to put up new shoots as most of its available energy is used to put up the first shoots so the small bit of leaf left will grow slower and take longer to produce enough energy to produce a new leaf.

I think that rolling heavy land is best avoided.
I know it's a bit of a contradiction because heavy land gets poached more particularly in spring.
I think rolling totally stalls growth and leaves the land softer .

Tbh I wouldn't let the silage lads in to my fields as they are.
Sometimes you've no choice so you do what works for your farm. Personally I wouldn't see any harm whatsoever in rolling any ground at the moment. Its to get milder this week and if we get another dry week there'll be no point in rolling any type of ground and the contractor men on here would all have bad backs hopping over all the rough ground in a.few weeks!

Met 2 harvesters on the road today, out for servicing i would say

I can go one year to the next without needing to roll,but last July and September we made a right mess getting silage off,I’ll only roll what needs doing not complete fields.

Is grass getting tight?
The garden here was grazed by sheep which are gone off it 3 weeks tomorrow and what has grown wouldn't be worthwhile cutting with the lawnmower. Having said that there was no fert put on it but normally it grows grass too good, usually I'd be getting the sheep back after a month or 5 weeks.

Is it the square root of -1 that doesn't really exist, it is only a made up number???
Those that remember their maths.

I remember that
I thought theoretical physicists basically invented an imaginary number to be the answer to what is the square root of -1, to allow them solve some theory or other.
I may ask my brother tomorrow.

It was called i ,

We might think we are intelligent but it's all based on tens because we have ten fingers.
Why is there 12 inches in a foot? 16 ounces in a pound? 112 pounds in a hundred weight? 8 pints in a gallon?

Is grass getting tight?
The garden here was grazed by sheep which are gone off it 3 weeks tomorrow and what has grown wouldn't be worthwhile cutting with the lawnmower. Having said that there was no fert put on it but normally it grows grass too good, usually I'd be getting the sheep back after a month or 5 weeks.
Growths are still poor here as well. GR of 32 when I measured on Thursday, was over 50 the same time last year. I still have 5 or 6 days first round ahead before I'll have to go back into silage ground and second rotation. We got a good burst of growth after the rain last Monday but there's still a fierce drying wind around.
A nice warm damp westerly wind for a few days wouldn't go astray.

Back