Grass Growth Rates

I cant believe the amount of people taking out paddocks for bales, if we followed a few of the heros around here at it, wed have to graze the cows on the dyke of the road

There is huge variation locally even in grass growth rates at present.
From our own little micro group locally, it would seem that those lads that ran farm cover too low the last few weeks (expecting the bounce that didn't come until last week really) (a few of these are overstocked and maybe a bit mean with the fertiliser) have had almost no bounce at all from the bit of rain and sun we got, and are still racing around the farm. Whereas those that were a bit cagier back a month ago and didn't pull out silage from the diets at night at that stage, had their fertiliser spread and tipped away at a slower pace grazing, are now fine for grass and look set up for a good summer with good residuals all the spring and nice covers in front of the cows again.

I cant believe the amount of people taking out paddocks for bales, if we followed a few of the heros around here at it, wed have to graze the cows on the dyke of the road
Depends on growth rates and covers per cow.
We took bales out around this time last year and had to feed them when growth crashed to 0 for a week due to lack of rain. Once the rain came, we got growths of 100 for about 10 days and had to take more out again.
Our covers are lower this year and growth still hasn't hit the 30s so we're still grazing the last of the first round. If we get rain this week, we'll probably end up taking bales out a week or so after but the priority is keeping as much high quality grass ahead of cows as possible.

Depends on growth rates and covers per cow.
We took bales out around this time last year and had to feed them when growth crashed to 0 for a week due to lack of rain. Once the rain came, we got growths of 100 for about 10 days and had to take more out again.
Our covers are lower this year and growth still hasn't hit the 30s so we're still grazing the last of the first round. If we get rain this week, we'll probably end up taking bales out a week or so after but the priority is keeping as much high quality grass ahead of cows as possible.
What is the quality like of the first round grass that you are still grazing? Must be getting strong at this stage?

What is the quality like of the first round grass that you are still grazing? Must be getting strong at this stage?
Yeah, this would have been bales if we had got more rain last week. Cover of 1700 and clean outs are poorer than I'd like so we're probably going to have to take bales off this next round or graze at a cover of 11 or 1200.
Bales I reckon, to take out the stubble, but I'll worry about that in 2 weeks time.

Supposedly 2 degrees here at 7.15 .
Nice bit of frost though . Grass won't jump with this .
20210502_071815.jpg

Only a few sucklers and sheep here so no measuring and tbh poor enough grassland management but the grass growth today was phenomenal. We took sheep off of this field yesterday evening and it was skint and crispy to walk, this evening I walked across it and I'd say it grew a weeks worth of grass in a day. All the greenery in the pics are from todays growth.

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_172255.jpg
    IMG_20210508_172255.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20210508_172242.jpg
    IMG_20210508_172242.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 127
Only a few sucklers and sheep here so no measuring and tbh poor enough grassland management but the grass growth today was phenomenal. We took sheep off of this field yesterday evening and it was skint and crispy to walk, this evening I walked across it and I'd say it grew a weeks worth of grass in a day. All the greenery in the pics are from todays growth.
Fresh reseed? It was a real growthy day in fairness. The first in a long time

You get stem elongation for the 48hrs after the plant has been cut/ eaten. This usually isn't an accurate indication of growth rates.

Are ye going with N after the first round of grazing? We aren't badly off for grass for the fattening cattle in Galway but if we don't get growth in the next 2 weeks, things could get tight at the end of the month. Was thinking about going with a bag of can to the acre next week to try to keep things moving.

Are ye going with N after the first round of grazing? We aren't badly off for grass for the fattening cattle in Galway but if we don't get growth in the next 2 weeks, things could get tight at the end of the month. Was thinking about going with a bag of can to the acre next week to try to keep things moving.
Growth has taken off, at last, here for the past few days.

Lads are after giving four months spreading fert trying to make grass grow. They will give the next four mowing bits to stop it growing
I was talking to a dairy man yesterday and he was saying he has lots of grass and even mowing out paddocks. That the grass is growing very well. He then said he was talking to a neighbour of his who says the growth isn’t there yet and that he finding it hard to keep grass in front of the cows. The lad who has the grass kept up his normal fertilser spreading plan while the lad stuck for grass didn’t bother spreading as he said it was too cold for anything to grow

PRG needs to be fed to keep it in the sward and the feed needs to be there waiting for it rather than the PRG having to wait or go looking for it, I'd say.

Growth of 93 today, up from 71 5 days ago. I was taking out one scraggy paddock today but it looks like I'll have another 5 acres joining it now. Trying to cut off of paddocks with high P&Ks or rushes on it. I'll follow the cows with 2 bags of 8:8:15+S and do the same on the cut paddocks with 3,000gals of slurry/acre

Back