Grass Growth Rates

Could do with a small sup

Attachments

• D1FFE093-AD60-431A-8496-5287D813BB93.jpeg
    D1FFE093-AD60-431A-8496-5287D813BB93.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 81
Could do with a small sup
No issue with cracking up this way.
Growth has slowed up big time.eas chatting the green keeper on Friday .golf course beside me.greens mowed every day but the volume of growth is well back on 10 days ago

Reactions: jpt
Growth has stalled here over the weekend. Zero rain and big growth rates this month combined with savage drying over the last few days has everything going crispy. Plans to mow out surplus covers have been shelved as we are now in drought mode.

Growth has stalled here over the weekend. Zero rain and big growth rates this month combined with savage drying over the last few days has everything going crispy. Plans to mow out surplus covers have been shelved as we are now in drought mode.
Due to walk again tomorrow but, other than taking out a 2100 cover paddock, all baling/topping is going to be postponed, I'd say. Growth in the next few paddocks needs a bit of a boost from rain but a few mms forecast on Wednesday and some 6-7mm on Friday isn't going to do much.

Walked yesterday evening before milking, demand of 77, growth of 35, cover/cow at 220 so not going to panic as yet. The wedge is looking solid bar one field with a strong cover at 2,100 but that's hopefully going to last long enough to get some of the after grass from bales up towards 1,200-1,300 and should have the main silage ground coming into the rotation in a few weeks as well.

An inch of rain would be very welcome in the very near future but going back to following the cows with 16 units for a round or until rain comes.

We would only be 17 miles from @Bencroy but growth has slowed down big time here. Ground is cracking and it is rock hard. Very lucky to have a good wedge of grass built up. We did have some rain last night which will help things a bit, but there was barely 2mm and a dry day today will see it gone. We took out some pasture for bales yesterday but we need to be cautious because things can change very quickly around here. The biggest issue that we face is that meadows have stopped growing. We did ok with the early meadows, but the late meadows that we would be using for feed the suckler cows (and therefore let bulk well) have just stalled. We are probably going to mow everything in the next 7 days and just spread for a second cut - something that we haven't had to do at home for the last 4 years.

To back up @Blackwater boy s chart from monday, things are still looking well on track for a prolonged dry spell

1624437502721.png

That's right mucky, things can change very quick.18.9mm so far for June.1.8mm last night.
Savage growth up to 10 days ago but slowed big time.
Had to take alot of paddocks out cause prior to the growth burst they were to damp to graze without bad poaching and hence went mad with the heat.
Have alot of very dry bales over and above but now am giving them silage at milking time as things are tight but it's better to have quality in front of the girls.hate seeing grass wasted.costs the same to mow it as top it.
problem is shallow dept of soil ( 3 to 4 inches)on top of daub takes along time to dry but then sets like concrete when it gets dry and feck all grows.happier to see ground dry and no grass all the same.... makes life so much easier

Would you not get the heavy paddocks mowed out if in drought? Nothing dries out land faster than standing grass. I know allot of extra expense to bale, and feed out a week later.

Would you not get the heavy paddocks mowed out if in drought? Nothing dries out land faster than standing grass. I know allot of extra expense to bale, and feed out a week later.
I suppose it depends what you call heavy. Anything 2000 kg/ha or above with a lot of stem may be taken out regardless of weather, they're useless to graze. It's the 1800 kg paddocks of aftergrass with lots of leaf that I was referring to, at last weeks growth rates we were never going to get them grazed before they turned to stem but with growth stalling we should get to them in the next few days.
Regardless of how heavy the cover is, there'll be no regrowth after its cut or grazed. 5mm today will help but unless we get more tomorrow, any reprieve will be short lived.

Growth of 35, up from 22 5 days ago. Demand at 77 but I must still add in the aftergrass so that will drop it a good bit. Measured this morning before the rain had kicked in so would expect to be more or less balanced on Wednesday. Keeping meal at 1 kg for the time being.

Looking to reseed for grazing cattle and growing hay or hayledge any recommendations on type of seed to use, I want it to be meadow and not a single type of grass. Also how do you go about measuring your growth to add to this thread. Tia

Absolutely bucketing rain here.18.9mm in the guage this morning and lots of heavy spills for today.grsss just jumping but after today " turn of the tap please "

Looking to reseed for grazing cattle and growing hay or hayledge any recommendations on type of seed to use, I want it to be meadow and not a single type of grass. Also how do you go about measuring your growth to add to this thread. Tia
You'll need to walk your ground regularly so you know what's there and what's coming, that's the secret ingredient.

You'll need a 0.5m x0.5m square, a clippers and a weighing scale, the YouTube video takes you through what you need and how to do it.

Few showers here yesterday, it was lashing 4 miles away. Growth 17 for the week. Will have to open a bale today to slow them down.

Back