Grass Growth Rates

whats the consensus in terms of how much silage is saved for next winter ?

assume first cuts were somewhat light ? but maybe second cuts are looking good ?

41.3 mm here in 24 hours
59.4 mm in last 72 hours
enough rain now
Aye, 2 inches in these parts too. In fairness, we had an inch of rain in galway on Saturday but only 10mm yesterday. Its enough though. I can put the water tank back into the shed.

whats the consensus in terms of how much silage is saved for next winter ?

assume first cuts were somewhat light ? but maybe second cuts are looking good ?
Second cut is 8 weeks away. There has been very little growth on mown meadows for the last 2 weeks. Plan to spread fertilizer tomorrow. First cut wasn't too bad for is in general. Some fields, some down, and a lot of low DM stuff that will feed for much longer than wet bales.

We got savage rain on Sunday in athlone.
Grass has been very hard managed for the last month, quality poor ,went hard and dry or something unusual.
Maybe things will improve now

I have got around an inch of rain around here in the last few days, but will take grass a week to 10 days before it starts moving again at a decent growth rate, we were growing around 25. I always amazes me to see the growth rates some people have, that are coming out of drought a few days after a drop of rain. I see on the social guys up a 70 yesterday, having claimed to be in drought, why bother

I have got around an inch of rain around here in the last few days, but will take grass a week to 10 days before it starts moving again at a decent growth rate, we were growing around 25. I always amazes me to see the growth rates some people have, that are coming out of drought a few days after a drop of rain. I see on the social guys up a 70 yesterday, having claimed to be in drought, why bother
The only people they're fooling is themselves

Measured on Thursday, growth of 63 and demand of 58 so covered for a while again after the rain Cover/cow at 261 is higher than I'd like so will be taking out some ground for bales again soon, I'd say. Going to wait till the end of next week so I can target some of the hairy paddocks that should have been cut for silage or topped last round.

Topped 3 week, reckon we are another 10 days before growth getting back upto speed. Currently doing about 20, had 2 inches or rain last weekend, but could do with the same again

Attachments

• 20210709_163152.jpg
    20210709_163152.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 154
I'm out with the wagon these past couple of weeks doing zero grazing for a couple of dairy farmers. This month so far we have got 29mm of rain. It looks like I'll be drawing grass for another week. The field below was zero grazed last April, mowed the end of may and now its been zerograzed again.
Screenshot_20210708-232051.jpg

Topped 3 week, reckon we are another 10 days before growth getting back upto speed. Currently doing about 20, had 2 inches or rain last weekend, but could do with the same again
I've a few spots like that, always make sure to do a walk over them spots to see what way the soil moisture is. They should be lovely and green when I go next Monday, hopefully. Still getting a nice few hours of soft rain and the aftergrass is flying now, especially on the heavier ground.

We have heat,moisture and fertilizer,but still struggling badly for any sort of decent growth rates.
Stuck at 30 when it should be double that.
I’ve half the second cut grazed to stretch the rotation and try and build some kind of covers but still tight.

We have heat,moisture and fertilizer,but still struggling badly for any sort of decent growth rates.
I’ve half the second cut grazed to stretch the rotation and try and build some kind of covers but still tight.
Are you giving much silage to keep the cows full and reduce stress and embryo loss while reducing demand to try and give grass a chance

Will you have enough silage for the winter?

Silage in here with a week! Nice few puddles of water around this morning so hopefully that’ll drive it on a bit. Growing 15-20 last 3 weeks. Cows are full and happy anyway and milking well. Serious warm weather coming the end of this week so could be either a feast or famine by then.

Back