Grass Growth Rates

I see some people reporting growth of over 90 for this week, we are still at 40 according to my measure. Are lads really seeing those sort of growth rates or is it just the usual heroes?! We are still seeing a major moisture deficit from what I can see also, an odd wet paddock growing well alright.

Grass quality had been very difficult to manage here in a drystock situation.
Lucky I baled a few paddocks that were stemmy a few weeks back,they are coming along well since the rain last weekend.
I see some cattle in very brown fields

I see some people reporting growth of over 90 for this week, we are still at 40 according to my measure. Are lads really seeing those sort of growth rates or is it just the usual heroes?! We are still seeing a major moisture deficit from what I can see also, an odd wet paddock growing well alright.
In damp land, its probably serious growing weather, in dry land not much is happening, but have zero pity for us dryland farmers as we can graze for 10 months of the year, were as the poor fecker in damp land will only average 6 months

Have averaged between 60 and 70, for most of summer, a few weeks closer to 60 but have had no bursts up at the 90 yet anyway. Mix of dry and heavy ground but in a relatively high rainfall area in Cork. Quality has been hard to keep right, made the cows do the work last round but should have gone in with the mower or topper.
Usually prefer to follow cows but with the protected urea perhaps its better to spread a few days ahead, so that it might start working faster after they leave. New here, migrated from another platform

They're there alright. One of the lads in our DG got 80 last week. The dry matter used can bump up the figures easily as well.
Dry land, good heat in the soil, plenty of N after being released during the dry spell but not fully used and then the rain to help movement of nutrients through the soil.
We had growths of 120 for spells after rain earlier this year. Up to this year, 100 was the max I had measured.

Have averaged between 60 and 70, for most of summer, a few weeks closer to 60 but have had no bursts up at the 90 yet anyway. Mix of dry and heavy ground but in a relatively high rainfall area in Cork. Quality has been hard to keep right, made the cows do the work last round but should have gone in with the mower or topper.
Usually prefer to follow cows but with the protected urea perhaps its better to spread a few days ahead, so that it might start working faster after they leave. New here, migrated from another platform
Much the same here re growth .pre mowed a good bit last round and seeing the benifits now .havent gone over 80 yet this yr. Welcome along by the way

Growth of 41, down from 83 last Wednesday, demand still at 49 so taking out a strong paddock of aftergrass and maybe a strong paddock of grazing ground but I'll wait till Saturday to decide.

If there's rain forecast, it'll come out as bales, if not, it'll be grazed.

Growth of 80, regrowths slowing a bit tho so will graze a bit of ground stopped for second cut as could see growth slowing fast if its stays dry after the heat this week. Yields and solids have dropped a bit in the last 3 collections as well.

Didn't think anywhere bar wet areas would be growing that much over the last week. Guesstimate I'm around 35-40 this week, buffer feeding a good shot now so all are happy

Great growth here ozzy and no cracks in the ground yet so at least some of us are still benefiting from this nice spell

Didn't think anywhere bar wet areas would be growing that much over the last week. Guesstimate I'm around 35-40 this week, buffer feeding a good shot now so all are happy
Driven on by the covers in the latter 2 thirds of the rotation. Fields with a cover have powered on, grazed/ mown fields slow in coming back tho. Have had a heavy fog for 3 or 4 of the last 5 nights as well

Great growth here ozzy and no cracks in the ground yet so at least some of us are still benefiting from this nice spell
If you were to block off 5 year segments of time and compare the weather you had between them, what way does it break down for you? Are things drier or wetter in general? Would you have cows on grass more or less days? If you don't want to answer that's ok too

If you were to block off 5 year segments of time and compare the weather you had between them, what way does it break down for you? Are things drier or wetter in general? Would you have cows on grass more or less days? If you don't want to answer that's ok too
Same here in my short lifespan, plenty of dry and wet years

Is later grazing, pushing later turnout the following year?
It definitely has done but I close with decent covers now. We aren't super tightly stocked (run a surplus of silage each winter) but I have found the springs here tricky to manage. It is very possibly my own mismanagement.

I am also slow to go with fertilizer until I get good ground temperatures. Ground gets slurry in January once the ground is good enough.

Just did a walk after taking out 2 paddocks, really need to take out a few more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-141349.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-141349.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210724-141322.jpg
    Screenshot_20210724-141322.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 111
If you were to block off 5 year segments of time and compare the weather you had between them, what way does it break down for you? Are things drier or wetter in general? Would you have cows on grass more or less days? If you don't wait to answer that's ok
I don't mind at all, firstly of all were in leitrim and probaly in one of the higher rainfall parts of it.muckymanor would be 20 mins from us who would get a tad less.rain moves in off the Atlantic and moves in over the mountain range and dumps it on our side of it .roughly 9 mile from the top of it.ground with us is mostly peaty 4 " on top of daub.
We're well used to bad weather and ground conditions.
2 sum it up the summers are getting wetter, but main thing is its more less dry days than used to be but with similar amounts.
2017 was challenge at 1st cut....2nd cut a nightmare as I was laid up that summer.typical turn out for use is mid to late April by day .can be early April on a great spring or as late as early may by day.usually be in at night til early mid May.cows often in at night by end of sept or early oct.any time with day grazing after oct 20 is a bonus.they often have to be housed by night every summer and often by day.
We must protect the ground.spring 2020 was absolutely super for use til it broke june 14th but by end of July it was getting hairy.the rest we don't want to remember.
The late spring was bad here to.may was a tramp.like alot of the country was hairy and 1st cuts late end of may plenty of damage done.as my pit contractor always says it's rare the ground is ideal for 1st n 2nd cut together the one year.
This weather, we are flying.....ground has dried now as if it doesn't dry in
May it doesn't dry out right but we did get alot of rain early in July.
No craics in the ground yet and with heavy dews we don't need rain as such.
6 months grazing from start to finish is a good year and you could still get a wee spell inside during that .
for our farm zero grazing is a waste of time.perfer to have dry silage although more costly is better than cutting wet sloppy grass by zero grazing.conditions may not allow to zero graze either and growth stop.
the good weather like this up here is a welcome relief and while causes hardship for lads on good ground due to drought its great to see the tillage men getting a break after a few tough harvests this last few years.if they have a bad year/ harvest it follows back through........

I don't mind at all, firstly of all were in leitrim and probaly in one of the higher rainfall parts of it.muckymanor would be 20 mins from us who would get a tad less.rain moves in off the Atlantic and moves in over the mountain range and dumps it on our side of it .roughly 9 mile from the top of it.ground with us is mostly peaty 4 " on top of daub.
We're well used to bad weather and ground conditions.
2 sum it up the summers are getting wetter, but main thing is its more less dry days than used to be but with similar amounts.
2017 was challenge at 1st cut....2nd cut a nightmare as I was laid up that summer.typical turn out for use is mid to late April by day .can be early April on a great spring or as late as early may by day.usually be in at night til early mid May.cows often in at night by end of sept or early oct.any time with day grazing after oct 20 is a bonus.they often have to be housed by night every summer and often by day.
We must protect the ground.spring 2020 was absolutely super for use til it broke june 14th but by end of July it was getting hairy.the rest we don't want to remember.
The late spring was bad here to.may was a tramp.like alot of the country was hairy and 1st cuts late end of may plenty of damage done.as my pit contractor always says it's rare the ground is ideal for 1st n 2nd cut together the one year.
This weather, we are flying.....ground has dried now as if it doesn't dry in
May it doesn't dry out right but we did get alot of rain early in July.
No craics in the ground yet and with heavy dews we don't need rain as such.
6 months grazing from start to finish is a good year and you could still get a wee spell inside during that .
for our farm zero grazing is a waste of time.perfer to have dry silage although more costly is better than cutting wet sloppy grass by zero grazing.conditions may not allow to zero graze either and growth stop.
the good weather like this up here is a welcome relief and while causes hardship for lads on good ground due to drought its great to see the tillage men getting a break after a few tough harvests this last few years.if they have a bad year/ harvest it follows back through........
That's a really thoughtful reply, great reading

Back