Grass Growth Rates

Pity the way the year has turned out grass wise. While not the worst hasn't given as much opportunity for reseeding with less silage made and poorer quality in the first cut as well. Massive hike in feed and fert taking
Still okay here, aslong as output price are decent, its up to ourselves to make bank. When output prices are poor, its much more difficult

The 500 euro/ tonne & 20% utilisation make scary reading when put together.
Standard bulk urea was €500/t last week anyway.

Yes urea will be starting with a 5 next year looking at markets at the moment. CAN was half the price a few weeks ago delivered to port.

We need to still use urea, just completely up, the 20% utilisation figure. Thats a bonkers figure

Growth back up to 60, temps have been ok despite the rain so helping a bit, spreading ahead of the cows as well so will see how that goes. Gonna try and take whats left of the second cut in the next weather window altogether, won't have a massive crop but will help drop the stocking rate a bit and build for the autumn. Could tidy a few paddocks of growth does jump then as well if need be

Growth stuck at 40,very tight with practically nothing coming back on grazed paddocks.
Chunk of second cut still to come out and ground will start to get messy with all the rain.
The sooner this year is behind us the better.

Growth stuck at 40,very tight with practically nothing coming back on grazed paddocks.
Chunk of second cut still to come out and ground will start to get messy with all the rain.
The sooner this year is behind us the better.
Have you missed a lot of the rain or what are you putting the poor growth rates down to?

We haven’t missed any rain for the last week anyway around 60mls fell.
Maybe we needed it all.
We got about 75mm this past week but i have to say that even though the weather was awful and didn't suit at all timing wise, it was the best week of grass growth in the last 4

Reactions: jpt
Is grass growth so far this year much behind average?
I thought it was fairly close to average, but with more peaks and troughs.
Certainly more peaks and troughs than usual. But these things generally even themselves out over the course of the year.

I'd say 10 to 15 kgs/dm behind this year
So far?
Or per day?
Do you think that is a regional thing, or nation wide?
We had very poor growth in the late spring spring, but then super growth in the early summer and the it started to get tight again as the drought hit, but has improved very well again.

We got about 75mm this past week but i have to say that even though the weather was awful and didn't suit at all timing wise, it was the best week of grass growth in the last 4
I'd say I'm not too far from you, I see similar here. Grass jumped a mile this past week

So far?
Or per day?
Do you think that is a regional thing, or nation wide?
We had very poor growth in the late spring spring, but then super growth in the early summer and the it started to get tight again as the drought hit, but has improved very well again.
Perhaps regional, but maybe nation wide. That'd be per day, bout 200 bales less than last year made so far, a similar amount will be in the pit as last year except second cut was done by now. I am stocked slightly heavier than last year alright but feeding around 1.5kg ahead more ration than last year since April i reckon. Combination of growth and quality issues. Will see by the end of the year

Can nearly see the grass growing here.

Found these this evening
20210809_214248.jpg

Back