Grass Growth Rates

I was in Solohead today, great day and very positive message about clover there. They're one year into a 0N grass rotation and the first years results are very similar to the low N plots. Again, only the first year of it and the weather being poorer in a wet year will make for an interesting year there.

A few take away points,

* they're setting both red and white clover in the grazing plots,
* overseeding will need to be done after about 5 years on most of the paddocks,
* they're also setting both in silage ground,
* silage ground tends to be hybrid grass and red clover,
* some overseeding won't take and the paddock might need a total reseed,
* K is a huge driver of clover growth and has a big demand, can cause issues for dry cow silages,
* fertiliser rate is watery slurry one rotation and 25 units of K the next across the year
* roughly a 10 year reseeding cycle,
* when you get very high rates of clover in a paddock one year, grass can overwhelm clover and reduce it the following year,
* it might be beneficial to cut silage off that paddock to remove the N to help clover recovery there.

Was told recently the red clover allows immediate N fixation giving the white clover a chance to establish.
correct
im getting mixes priced up here now for the spring
trouble i got is red clover and tupping ewes, i cant keep the ewes away from red clover if i do a mass of reseeding so am getting hybrid grasses and white clovers mixed to suit the ground here:clover::cool:

I lobbed this pgr reseed (top5 extend) in 18 months ago with one run of the disc harrow in Nov, just after I'd dogged that paddock for 4yrs with good crops of maize lol. I didn't bother with post emergence spray (wintertime), and grass had struck well following april Anyways and not much weeds. Haven't gone wild with bag N, 150units across last yr and maybe 30 this yr (but 2 runs of slurry), and the clover has absolutely took off in the sward now. My aim now is to see how far I can push it the summer without much bag nitrogen, maybe go with 15units at a time if the grass is really see struggling. This is the most ideal situation for me to help reduce bag N, I'll be trying to Stitch in clover in other paddocks, and then a full reseed with MMS, both cost money and not guaranteed results, where minding what you have like this costs nothing and hopefully won't see any loss of feild production over the year.

Attachments

• IMG_20220412_124513.jpg
    IMG_20220412_124513.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 96
I lobbed this pgr reseed (top5 extend) in 18 months ago with one run of the disc harrow in Nov, just after I'd dogged that paddock for 4yrs with good crops of maize lol. I didn't bother with post emergence spray (wintertime), and grass had struck well following april Anyways and not much weeds. Haven't gone wild with bag N, 150units across last yr and maybe 30 this yr (but 2 runs of slurry), and the clover has absolutely took off in the sward now. My aim now is to see how far I can push it the summer without much bag nitrogen, maybe go with 15units at a time if the grass is really see struggling. This is the most ideal situation for me to help reduce bag N, I'll be trying to Stitch in clover in other paddocks, and then a full reseed with MMS, both cost money and not guaranteed results, where minding what you have like this costs nothing and hopefully won't see any loss of feild production over the year.
I was at a clover walk down here last week and the recommendation was to go with about 9 units of N after each grazing or 18 every second round. Just be careful not to skip a whole round with no N as you may run short of grass so you'll be skipping some and spreading others.

I certainly cant afford to skip a whole round, I'm pushing the SR this year with more replacement heifers kept. But I have identified about 25% of the farm with a reasonable amount of clover, thinking about it I'll probably rank them in terms of both the amount of clover and amount of weeds in them, high clover I'll cut the bag N but be very cautious about letting hungry animals in, high weeds I'll be aggressive with topping and spot spraying them. They will absolutely need more management than normal prg which you just graze away and lob your 30u N out a month.

I was at a clover walk down here last week and the recommendation was to go with about 9 units of N after each grazing or 18 every second round. Just be careful not to skip a whole round with no N as you may run short of grass so you'll be skipping some and spreading others.
9 units of N FFS, .33 of a bag per acre of can or .2 of a bag of urea, not possible for a spreader to spread that amount evenly. The amount of granules per sqm would be tiny.

9 units of N FFS, .33 of a bag per acre of can or .2 of a bag of urea, not possible for a spreader to spread that amount evenly. The amount of granules per sqm would be tiny.
sure how long am I telling you buckos to go liquid. 9 units an acre I would consider a serious dose. All these fancy TAMS spreaders, and they are only set up to spread expensive stuff at high rates, they will break ye

sure how long am I telling you buckos to go liquid. 9 units an acre I would consider a serious dose. All these fancy TAMS spreaders, and they are only set up to spread expensive stuff at high rates, they will break ye
I'd consider it a waste of time and energy

There is a local lad going spreading liquid urea at 13 units/acre will give same result as 36 units spread he says.This fellow knows his stuff .I have an old hardy spreayer whih i will tackle up to and chance some myself ,it seems scorching is a problem if you overlap and you need to be spraying onto a cover of grass I think .

There is a local lad going spreading liquid urea at 13 units/acre will give same result as 36 units spread he says.This fellow knows his stuff .I have an old hardy spreayer whih i will tackle up to and chance some myself ,it seems scorching is a problem if you overlap and you need to be spraying onto a cover of grass I think .
No it won't

No you don't

I wouldn't recommend it

9 units of liquid is probably equivalent to 15 of granular, if you want the equivalent of 9 of granular would it be closer to 5 of liquid. :unsure:

9 units of liquid is probably equivalent to 15 of granular, if you want the equivalent of 9 of granular would it be closer to 5 of liquid. :unsure:
Where are yiz all getting these figures from is what I want to know, they're new to me:huh:

Where are yiz all getting these figures from is what I want to know, they're new to me:huh:
I did include an "unsure " smilie, you might have some sort of figure as to how many units of liquid V granular for the same response.

Back to grass growth, the first round was interrupted twice by the rain, had to come back in fulltime for a week/10 days each time . Land dried up well, great underfoot.
Finished first round at the weekend. 2nd round looking sparse, giving a bit of silage all the time when In for milking. + 4.5kg nuts/day .
Today was the first really "growing " day this year, mild and damp.

Back