Grass wilting

maxxum-man

Would it be seen as a step backwards to go for "plain" disc mowers without conditioners, maybe improving mowing time by going to double or triple mowers, Then tedding it all, and i dont mean "lumping" as iv heard some of you refer to it as! I was just thinking of fuel efficiency, i know it creates another job, but being able to mow more efficiently and get the grass dropped and then run through it all with the tedder could make more sense?

we find its difficult to lift all the grass of the ground that hasnt been through a conditioner .
in a year like this i think its better putting it through a conditioner and not spreading it . 1 farmer was trying to make silage by the book this year but his tractor could do with a bit more hp to drive the conditioner so they open it up so its not doing much so the can keep up the forward speed they then go on to lump it with there tedder and then it rained on it so it was evenly wet right through . its surprising how much it drys when its been properly conditioned and fluffed up so the air can get through it but can still shed of some of the rain . this year is not 1 for messing around with grass , the dryest silage we have lifted this year is on farms that have taken a chance between rain showers cut , left it a few hours or overnight and lifted it

We like it dry but read an article of the affect of conditioning on grass and how less effective the conditioner had been at 13kph to 10kph, and we mow at around 17kph, so is it really worth the extra fuel putting it through the conditioner?

we find its difficult to lift all the grass of the ground that hasnt been through a conditioner .
in a year like this i think its better putting it through a conditioner and not spreading it . 1 farmer was trying to make silage by the book this year but his tractor could do with a bit more hp to drive the conditioner so they open it up so its not doing much so the can keep up the forward speed they then go on to lump it with there tedder and then it rained on it so it was evenly wet right through . its surprising how much it drys when its been properly conditioned and fluffed up so the air can get through it but can still shed of some of the rain . this year is not 1 for messing around with grass , the dryest silage we have lifted this year is on farms that have taken a chance between rain showers cut , left it a few hours or overnight and lifted it
i'll second most of this

up here in the bonnie north mostgave up trying to spread and ted years ago cut with conditioner one day bale the next even same day on ocations,
in a heavy crop and there has been some this year 8 to 10 kph is the norm for us.
all the best

Two separate local contractors have told me exactly the same. One of my neighbours cuts his own silage with a pair of 9ft straight mowers then the contractor comes in and puts 3 into 1 for the SP. Last year you could see loads of the middle swath which had stuck to the ground and been missed by the chopper pickup reel.
Putting two into one with a small two rotor rake where both swaths are moved has however worked fine here.

Back