Grassland subsoiler

The Man

I was thinking of building myself a grassland subsoiler i only have my own work to do so can`t really justify the 10 grand for a erth engineering or a mastek. So i might make my own just a simple 3 leged shear bolt type .
Does anyone know where you can buy the legs and the discs? Im from cavan
All replies much appreciated.

Tullyvernon has a good one he made himself does similar job to the erth but doesn't have the roller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do ye lads have much work to do? Hiring a panbuster would be a better option if you want to do the work yourself.

Father was at a grassland evening, and the independent advisor there said the best machine was the sumo type, said that the shape of the legs gave it the best lifting action, and that straight legs were a balls of a job on them.

He also said to forget about standard slit type air ators and that the Lawson roller was the best job, because you need it heavy to work at the correct time of year when the field is at its driest.

Wasn't trying to sell anything either.

The only problem I see with the sumo is the wings are too wide and will push stones to the surface and I know u say the roller will push them down but it won't not into hard grass ground.the narrower McConnell leg won't disturb stones to the surface the erth also has the ability to move the leg side to side if it hits a stone.the hydraulic roller also lets you roll roll the last bit as u life out of the ground on the headland.dont get me wrong I'm not pushin the erth or knocking anyone else's machine.

The only problem I see with the sumo is the wings are too wide and will push stones to the surface and I know u say the roller will push them down but it won't not into hard grass ground.the narrower McConnell leg won't disturb stones to the surface the erth also has the ability to move the leg side to side if it hits a stone.the hydraulic roller also lets you roll roll the last bit as u life out of the ground on the headland.dont get me wrong I'm not pushin the erth or knocking anyone else's machine.

Anything going that deep will bring up some stones. But he said of all the ones he's seen working, which is a lot of them, the forward sweep on the legs of the sumo were best.

He also said, make sure you do need to go that deep. a Lawson machine when the soil is bone dry will crack down far enough in many cases. Huge difference in cost of running the two machines!

im currently making a grassland subsoiler too, i brought a 5 swivel leg arable sub soiler and have dropped it down to 4 legs, going to put disks on the front and then hopefully a flat roll behind, i should have it done for around the £2000 mark, a dam site cheeper than a erth one :thumbup: hopefully it will work as well :whistle:

the man , if you message me your email address , will send you some pics of a low disturbance leg and disc arrangement , we are making up to go on our subsoiler for grassland work .

imo the only thing you will be able to put on a 4 inch box would be a shakey rator type leg

if you got a normal subsoiler ,cut bottom half leg off and put a different bottom on to suit grass work

Mastek and erth both make cheaper shearbolt types too.
My own experience of making things is that the devil is in the detail.
Might look simple but buy the time you have it perfected it mightn't be that cheap.Plus homemade gear is not suitable for hirework or resale again.
As someone else said hire one or get a contractor if u cant justify buying.
The running costs on these are high and if u have any stony ground anything other than autoreset will break ur heart.
most farms only need certain fields doing not the entire farm.
The response is excellent if the ground needs it but if there isn't really a problem its not worthwhile.
I have tried it on free draining fields and got little or no response

the man , if you message me your email address , will send you some pics of a low disturbance leg and disc arrangement , we are making up to go on our subsoiler for grassland work .

imo the only thing you will be able to put on a 4 inch box would be a shakey rator type leg

if you got a normal subsoiler ,cut bottom half leg off and put a different bottom on to suit grass work

any chance you caould put that pic up on hear? im interested to see the low disturbance legs:thumbup:

Yarp. Were on the same wavelength!

Just noticed they are shearbolt protected so a no go for our ground!!
Have an Erth engineering one and any where we did work we got great results .... we just don’t get enough work with it but it’s one of those things that’s paid for and is there (although if I got the right offer it might go!!!)

Have an Erth engineering one and any where we did work we got great results .... we just don’t get enough work with it but it’s one of those things that’s paid for and is there (although if I got the right offer it might go!!!)
Just wondering a neighbour ask me to subsoile his ground with all the rain were having so it won't be for a good while.Question is what should I charge is it by the acre or hr . Would like to let him know in advance.?

Just wondering a neighbour ask me to subsoile his ground with all the rain were having so it won't be for a good while.Question is what should I charge is it by the acre or hr . Would like to let him know in advance.?
40 an acre or 100 an hour ....

Borrowed next door's Sumo Gls 4 leg subsoiler to do a couple of patches.
He had almost new tips on her.
And in about 3 acres worth of work I've basically put 4 new tips on her!

Is this normal going?
I only just had enough pressure on to keep the legs down, you'd almost say it was too soft.
I think two broke because he had over tightened the bolts, lad at the dealership said that's a big no no as they fail early.
But one of the new ones I put on broke in two firther along the tip!!

I'd been considering one, but thinking otherwise now!🤔😅

Borrowed next door's Sumo Gls 4 leg subsoiler to do a couple of patches.
He had almost new tips on her.
And in about 3 acres worth of work I've basically put 4 new tips on her!

Is this normal going?
I only just had enough pressure on to keep the legs down, you'd almost say it was too soft.
I think two broke because he had over tightened the bolts, lad at the dealership said that's a big no no as they fail early.
But one of the new ones I put on broke in two firther along the tip!!

I'd been considering one, but thinking otherwise now!🤔😅
In heavy ground, yes, normal enough. But it’s work is far superior to others.

when was the last time you had the same ground subsoiled?

i did hear of someone trying to make some hardened points for them.

In heavy ground, yes, normal enough. But it’s work is far superior to others.

when was the last time you had the same ground subsoiled?

i did hear of someone trying to make some hardened points for them.
It was tough going in bits
And never is the answer!😅

We were advised against hardox points as they end up bending legs!
It's back at the neighbours now, and can stay there!😅

Back