Grazing fodder rape

jay gatsby

Is it dangerous to graze fodder rape once it has begun to flower? We have weanlings on a field for the last few months, about an acre left to graze but it has gone to flower in the last week.

Couple or neighbours say no, it can be toxic. Vet says work away as the stock are used to the crop in the diet.

Anyone got thoughts or experience to share?

The toxin basically suffocates the animals. Red blood cells don't oxygenate. We're talking almost certain death with zero warning or time to act. Cut your losses and plough them down, be as good as fert.

Btw the vet does have a point as the rumen can adjust. I know that's true for high nitrates in for ages. Now if it's the exact same chemical reaction as nitrate I'm not sure but still I don't see the point in risking it.

Seems like an entirely different chemical than with nitrate poisoning, same outcome but different causes. I'm unsure if cattle could adjust to feeding "toxic rape"(title of your mother's sex tape).

Is it dangerous to graze fodder rape once it has begun to flower? We have weanlings on a field for the last few months, about an acre left to graze but it has gone to flower in the last week.

Couple or neighbours say no, it can be toxic. Vet says work away as the stock are used to the crop in the diet.

Anyone got thoughts or experience to share?
I had the same problem with kale many years ago, I asked my vet and he said if they are grazing it all winter there should be no problem so I continued strip grazing for 2 weeks until it was finished without problems. The kale was in full flower into early April, for some reason kale flowers earlier than rape.

I had the same problem with kale many years ago, I asked my vet and he said if they are grazing it all winter there should be no problem so I continued strip grazing for 2 weeks until it was finished without problems. The kale was in full flower into early April, for some reason kale flowers earlier than rape.
We mowed it, baled and dumped it in the end to be sure but as many lads said work away as said it would kill the stock...

Thanks for the feedback, I'd say we'd have got away with it

We mowed it, baled and dumped it in the end to be sure but as many lads said work away as said it would kill the stock...

Thanks for the feedback, I'd say we'd have got away with it
Did you sow it early in the year? It would be unusual for rape to be in full flower now especially with the late growth this year.

Back