Green Cert

Im currently doing the Distance course, 1 day every 3 weeks always a Friday,
At the start ( level 5 ) you could potentially miss a few days and if you missed an exam you could pick it up the next day you are in.
Level 6 has alot of benchmark days, these are days out on the farm, if you miss one you will have to join in on another day that may or may not suit.
I have 3 more days left to do and tbh i wont be sorry, alot of projects due and good weather dont mix well.
As said before, the content isn't difficult if you have an interest, days off work is a big thing.
It was 2750 for me, that added to the lost days at work leave it an expenses course to pay for itself.

Just for anyone looking to do the green cert who is a bit older not just coming out of school especially, there's a new option available. An ag advice company in Cahir has been approved to run the course, it's a pilot course this year and has recently started but another class has spaces in November, the classes are on Friday evenings and Saturdays, the level 5 & 6 will be completed in 8 months or so, I am in a class myself, the cost is €3000, it's designed to accommodate the people doing the course with its weekend timetable http://www.farmed.ie/

The online applications are now open for the night course online in westport college. It starts september but it will fill up quick i think

Just wondering what was the price for the Farm Ed course last year? It’s €4895 this. I think that’s an awful increase.

Just wondering what was the price for the Farm Ed course last year? It’s €4895 this. I think that’s an awful increase.
Was less than half that when I did it. Do you definitely need it? I came across two men recently who are due to inherit modest family farms of roughly the same size and value. One guy was in the middle of doing his green cert as he was advised that he definitely needed it. The other man, who is a shrewd individual it must be said, reckoned that by taking the days off from work he needed to do the green cert, and the lack of income from taking those days off, he would only save 1000 euro by getting the green cert done for when he inherits the farm. He is a busy tradesman it must be said and needless to say, he didn't do the green cert. It does highlight though that the green cert isn't required in all scenarios.

Was less than half that when I did it. Do you definitely need it? I came across two men recently who are due to inherit modest family farms of roughly the same size and value. One guy was in the middle of doing his green cert as he was advised that he definitely needed it. The other man, who is a shrewd individual it must be said, reckoned that by taking the days off from work he needed to do the green cert, and the lack of income from taking those days off, he would only save 1000 euro by getting the green cert done for when he inherits the farm. He is a busy tradesman it must be said and needless to say, he didn't do the green cert. It does highlight though that the green cert isn't required in all scenarios.
I’m going farming so definitely need to. Interesting to know though about the second fella.
Did you do with Farm Ed or Teagasc?

Over 10 years (!) now since I did mine. I would agree to an extent with your shrewd individual but it depends on your circumstances.

The younger you are the more advantages you get from it with the Stamp Duty exemptions and Young Farmer topup. Also let's face it, no matter what new scheme is mentioned education is always mentioned so I'd see this as a mandatory requirement soon.

It’s 26 years since I did mine in Teagasc, can’t remember the cost but the stamp duty saving and installation aid was huge at the time.
I have mine done a few years now and didn't use it for anything, just had the opportunity to get it out of the way and as Nash said it may be needed down the road

Back