Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Back in my misbegotten youth I had a Firebird with a 5 litre v8 and 4 barrel carb that used swallow petrol at a rate of 4 mpg when it was approaching mach 4. Sticking to speed limits and handy driving it used return a respectful enough 21 mpg. Eamon Ryan would have loved it :rolleyes:

Was that in the land of Stars and Stripes ?

That really is the biggest issue, we are burning 3.5 billion years of recourses in 350 years and when we really need them they will not be here.
The sooner we find a decent source of dilithium crystals the better.

Back in my misbegotten youth I had a Firebird with a 5 litre v8 and 4 barrel carb that used swallow petrol at a rate of 4 mpg when it was approaching mach 4. Sticking to speed limits and handy driving it used return a respectful enough 21 mpg. Eamon Ryan would have loved it :rolleyes:
Lived in Michigan for 18 months, a year and a bit of miss spent petrol never mind youth 😂

colleague had a 79’ 6.6 Camaro small block, feck she loved a drop of 87 octane, the fuel gauge dropped every press of the throttle,

sure even our ford econoline school van had a triton 6.8 v10, 360 horses to the rear wheels in a van,

feck I miss Murica (feck u Eamo)

Last edited:
Like it or not we have to find a viable alternative to fossil fuel, it's not getting made anymore and will run out.
I agree but I believe that we already have the ability and technology to develop proper synthetic fuels at this stage, just cost or vested interests are stopping it, some day soon that‘ll change hopefully

I agree but I believe that we already have the ability and technology to develop proper synthetic fuels at this stage, just cost or vested interests are stopping it, some day soon that‘ll change hopefully
We have had the ability to grow plants to make the synthetic fuel that we need and to solve the whole climate crisis in one go as the plants growing will absorb the equivalent co2 produced. But 20 years ago we were told that this would cause a world food crisis because land for food would be taken out of production. Now the experts want us to reduce food production and there's no talk of reducing oil usage for the big users like heavy industry and airlines.

It's all about ensuring that the small few that own the property below the ground don't give power to the vast number of farmers that own the soils. See the big push by big industries to buy land.

In my view fusion power will be the future. Food will be grown using that power source in factories and agriland will be used for non food production and full on carbon sink.

We have had the ability to grow plants to make the synthetic fuel that we need and to solve the whole climate crisis in one go as the plants growing will absorb the equivalent co2 produced. But 20 years ago we were told that this would cause a world food crisis because land for food would be taken out of production. Now the experts want us to reduce food production and there's no talk of reducing oil usage for the big users like heavy industry and airlines.

It's all about ensuring that the small few that own the property below the ground don't give power to the vast number of farmers that own the soils. See the big push by big industries to buy land.
In a nutshell mucky.
Also I see with some annoyance that teagasc have a researcher who's saying we need to start living off bugs as farming animals isn't sustainable and they (teagasc) are doing research on it and how to convince Europeans to happily live like ardvarks.

America burned 134 billion gallons of petrol in 2021.

An acre produces 328 gallons of ethanol from corn.

That means 408 million acres to produce enough petrol for the USA.

The US has 389 million acres of arable land.
But you can feed the byproduct to cattle to make food

America burned 134 billion gallons of petrol in 2021.

An acre produces 328 gallons of ethanol from corn.

That means 408 million acres to produce enough petrol for the USA.

The US has 389 million acres of arable land.
Crops for fuel will never fully replace oil but seeing as there's such a push against farmers producing food why not use this unwanted land to produce bio fuels?.

Waste to fuel is the type of thing that's needed. Or the holy grail if they could figure it out is algae. Nothing grows like it

800,000 cow reduction in the national herd to meet climate targets. They may not be publicising it, but that's what they need to do to meet their goal. It will have no impact on large towns and cities but think of the small towns and villages around you. Meat processing plants, co ops, marts, hardwares. They don't directly employ a lot of people but the spin-off of them is enormous. They want agricultural land left idle as a result of these reduction schemes so that the land can grow scrub, weeds or white grass. Or those that don't ever want to farm again can go into forestry. It's a sad sad day for rural Ireland that the government want to take out the least intensive, least polluting farmers.

800,000 cow reduction in the national herd to meet climate targets. They may not be publicising it, but that's what they need to do to meet their goal. It will have no impact on large towns and cities but think of the small towns and villages around you. Meat processing plants, co ops, marts, hardwares. They don't directly employ a lot of people but the spin-off of them is enormous. They want agricultural land left idle as a result of these reduction schemes so that the land can grow scrub, weeds or white grass. Or those that don't ever want to farm again can go into forestry. It's a sad sad day for rural Ireland that the government want to take out the least intensive, least polluting farmers.
You are sort of wrong there @muckymanor with the last sentence. The government dont care who's cows are culled, whether the farmer is intensive or not is irrelevant to them, they just don't want to pay people to cull them or at least they want to pay as little as possible to cull them. Hence why they are going for the suckler cow rather than the dairy cow.

Do we not remember the term - Peak oil, that they used to frightening us?
Yes but there is no getting away from the fact that there isn't a limitless supply of fossil fuel. Every thing that is being extracted was laid down during the carboniferous period. That period ended when fungi and bacteria evolved to break down the lignin in woody plants. I have no idea how much is left but it is getting less rapidly.

An idea of what’s to come,greenwashing at it finest.
I’m surprised that Shciphol airport actually bought and paid for that land as most of these large corporations want our carbon for nothing.
I’ve said it here before the green ideology doesn’t care what the consequences for rural Ireland are once their goals are achieved.

Back