Grolime

I tried a few bags of granlime years ago. I filled up the spreader as usual, maybe 14 or 15 bags, and set off spreading. All was grand for about 2 minutes, when I noticed that all that was coming out of the spout of the spreader was dust! I ended up having to empty the whole load out of the spreader to discover that the little agitator in the bottom of the spreader had ground the granules into dust which then caked in the bottom of the spreader. In the end, the only way I could spread the bloody stuff was to put about 2 bags in the spreader each time, with the spreader opened to it's widest setting. Talk about a pain in the arse! :thumbdown:

I tried a few bags of granlime years ago. I filled up the spreader as usual, maybe 14 or 15 bags, and set off spreading. All was grand for about 2 minutes, when I noticed that all that was coming out of the spout of the spreader was dust! I ended up having to empty the whole load out of the spreader to discover that the little agitator in the bottom of the spreader had ground the granules into dust which then caked in the bottom of the spreader. In the end, the only way I could spread the bloody stuff was to put about 2 bags in the spreader each time, with the spreader opened to it's widest setting. Talk about a pain in the arse! :thumbdown:

The very same happened me about 4 years ago. Was the longest evening ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The very same happened me about 4 years ago. Was the longest evening ever.

Had a bag(half ton) of fert and a bag of line to spread one evening, spread the fert first and dad had come down to bring the bag of lime out to me, he went on home and was starting to wonder where I was nearly an hour later :(

Despised it and the thought of spreading it after that then a got told there was a couple of ton being delivered for a lad, it was target stuff and infairness no dust and spread perfectly, got a bag of gouldings then last year and pure dirt just full of dust that blocked up near solid

I think some of the bagged lime companies have really improved it this year, I've spread g lime and gouldings gran lime lately and they had fine big prills that spread very good, the old stuff was desperate, dust, very narrow spread and bridged in spreader but unfairness I think most of this years products are a bit better

Would the thought not occur to lads that the finer it is the quicker it dissolves into the soil, and the coarser it is the longer it spends hanging around doing nothing? The most important factor in regard to lime is the Total Neutralising Value, that alone determines how much bang you're getting for your buck, everything else is just window dressing to a certain degree.
i dont know tbh.
the kind of land round here that it id be used on could lodge quick if it was too fine so maybe thats a reason.
they seem to think it last longer if its coarser.:001_unsure:

Yes i see that now was looking on my phone and missed it:blushing:
so how much did the application og lime cost you last year?

I just gave the example of the small block of land which i own personally and don't farm in the share agreement as it was the easiest for me to give accurate figures on. I spread 3 ton on 35 acres costing me €180 per ton or €540. But I reduced the spend that i would normally have on fertilizer by €540. Therefore, I paid €540 for the application of lime, but what it cost me depends on how you look at it. :001_smile:

I just gave the example of the small block of land which i own personally and don't farm in the share agreement as it was the easiest for me to give accurate figures on. I spread 3 ton on 35 acres costing me €180 per ton or €540. But I reduced the spend that i would normally have on fertilizer by €540. Therefore, I paid €540 for the application of lime, but what it cost me depends on how you look at it. :001_smile:

So 15 a acre ever year for 5 years is 60.
I gave basic figures earlier in the thread of a bulk application

i dont know tbh.
the kind of land round here that it id be used on could lodge quick if it was too fine so maybe thats a reason.
they seem to think it last longer if its coarser.:001_unsure:

The science says different anyway, any test results I ever saw showed a better response the finer the lime was. I'll put it to you this way, there's a maximum size for lime particles in the Dept regulations but no minimum size

So 15 a acre ever year for 5 years is 60.
I gave basic figures earlier in the thread of a bulk application

Lime seems to be a lot dearer in your part of the world, you'd be taking about €22 or €23 a tonne over here

Lime seems to be a lot dearer in your part of the world, you'd be taking about €22 or €23 a tonne over here[/QUOTE]

Is that price per tonne spread .

The science says different anyway, any test results I ever saw showed a better response the finer the lime was. I'll put it to you this way, there's a maximum size for lime particles in the Dept regulations but no minimum size

Lime seems to be a lot dearer in your part of the world, you'd be taking about €22 or €23 a tonne over here

i would hazard a guess that it could be £29 a ton spread here this year
but even at that its a no brainer compared to bagged lime or a high ph

€23 / ton spread here . Have two load coming in the morning . Plan is to fo to

Sorry plan is to spread two load a year ..ill be getting better value from land every yr n minimise risk if I lose the land

I seem to recall that [MENTION=135]Bog Man[/MENTION] mentioned before that he puts out a bag of Grolime to the acre for Spring Barley.

Can't remember his logic now but remember reading g it with interest.

He might comment on it again :thumbup:

€23 / ton spread here . Have two load coming in the morning . Plan is to fo to

20 euro a ton here delivered and spread. Have 120 ton sitting in my yard waiting for ground conditions to improve. What is a safe wait period after spreading slurry before spreading lime?

I think you can spread lime 1 week after slurry, but you need to wait 6 weeks to spread slurry or fertilizer after lime.

I don't think it's as long as 6 weeks for fertiliser, I couldn't see an issue spreading can straight away after lime, what about reseeding or grain crops that get lime put out, tilled in and then fertiliser?

You shouldn't spread urea within 2 months after spreading lime due to N being lost through a chemical reaction, there's no issue with CAN or compound fertilisers. The same goes for slurry, if you spread too soon after lime you could lose some of the N. Loss of N is the only issue, if you do spread the grass won't melt the field won't explode and aliens won't land.

You shouldn't spread urea within 2 months after spreading lime due to N being lost through a chemical reaction, there's no issue with CAN or compound fertilisers. The same goes for slurry, if you spread too soon after lime you could lose some of the N. Loss of N is the only issue, if you do spread the grass won't melt the field won't explode and aliens won't land.

There might be a slight risk of Branson's space ship touching down though..... :001_unsure:

As a matter of interest what would lads be charging to spread a ton of lime? We've always done our own here so not something we worry about usually!

Back