Growing HEMP in Ireland

Amateur

of frost would kill it.
I grow hemp for a local Coop. This year we’ve 63ha in the ground. It’s absolute simplicity to grow. Plant and close the gate. No fertilizer whatsoever or herbicides etc.

Poorest crop to return a margin so we use it in shallow/dry soils, awkward fields, out of the way sh1tholes etc etc. The Coop pays for the harvesting. We’ve to bale and store the crop. The Coop would take about an artic per week. The longer you store it the more you’re paid.

If it wasn’t a damn good breakcrop we wouldn’t bother with it tbh.
I saw someone on Agriland (I think) claiming a gross of €3-4k per acre...we’d be lucky to gross €800/ha.
Which parts (seeds, leaves, flowers, stems) of the hemp is the local coop processing ?
Is the coop making end products or an intermediate processor ?

Sheebadog

Which parts (seeds, leaves, flowers, stems) of the hemp is the local coop processing ?
Is the coop making end products or an intermediate processor ?
Seeds are harvested separately and the rest of it is baled for fibre.
The Coop processes both.

Amateur

I sowed 2 acres of finola this year, but it did not grow very well, probably my fault by harrowing it in too deep.
Are you harvesting the seed with a stripper header or regular reaper header or something else?

Sheebadog

I sowed 2 acres of finola this year, but it did not grow very well, probably my fault by harrowing it in too deep.
Are you harvesting the seed with a stripper header or regular reaper header or something else?
The Coop does the harvesting with a special dual header. Top part takes the seed and the rest is swarthed for baling when dry.
Seed needs to be planted no deeper than 2cm when planting.
I haven’t got the returns for this years crop yet because it’ll be the end of Feb before all the bales have been taken.

thefarminglad

The Coop does the harvesting with a special dual header. Top part takes the seed and the rest is swarthed for baling when dry.
Seed needs to be planted no deeper than 2cm when planting.
I haven’t got the returns for this years crop yet because it’ll be the end of Feb before all the bales have been taken.
See in newspaper this week that lads are getting 0.5 ton per acre off it at 1000 euro per ton. Hoping for 1500 euro per ton next year. How would that compare to France on price and yield. Can you use any sprays on it? and how does it compare to other crops profit wise?

Amateur

See in newspaper this week that lads are getting 0.5 ton per acre off it at 1000 euro per ton. Hoping for 1500 euro per ton next year. How would that compare to France on price and yield. Can you use any sprays on it? and how does it compare to other crops profit wise?
If we are reading the same article, the cost of drying the seed was €240 per ton, so he got about €750 per ton for seed (2 acres). Seeds are not clean enough after a combine so cleaning is also needed and will incur another cost. If you store the seed for any length of time you need your own drier and possibly a seed cleaner.

Last edited:

Amateur

Seeds are harvested separately and the rest of it is baled for fibre.
The Coop processes both.
I only harvested the seed.
You mentioned a figure of €800/ha.
Do you know what was the value or ratio value of the seed per hectare versus the value of the baled stalks per hectare from last year ?
what variety did you sow ?

Sheebadog

I only harvested the seed.
You mentioned a figure of €800/ha.
Do you know what was the value or ratio value of the seed per hectare versus the value of the baled stalks per hectare from last year ?
what variety did you sow ?
Seed is worth circa €1000/t minus drying and cleaning costs.
Straw/fibre is worth around €80-110/t depending on how long you store it.

The best return we’ve got so far is 1t/ha of seed and 6tDm/ha of fibre.
The Coop supplies the seed. I think the seed they supply leans towards volume of fibre rather than seed.
They have a new plant for processing the fibre into insulation amongst other things. I think the seed goes for wild bird seed.

Sheebadog

Why in the name of God would you *want* to put spray on it...? It’s a weed. You plant it and close the gate.
It’s probably the least profitable crop we grow. If badly hit by prolonged drought it mightn’t be worth €2-300/ha.

Good establishment is everything. Don’t plant until soil temps are 15*C. No weed sprays, no fert, nothing. We would always incorporate a legume CC and apply a smidge of fym. It grows to about 4.5-5.5m high.
It’s fierce handy for very dry land or out of the way plots that you don’t want to be messing with.

Timo12

What is the legality of this now? I heard the FSAI are clamping down on CBD oils specifically using co2 extraction which is 95percnt of cbd Brands out there. Is this plant even worth growing?

patobrien

The industry will keep going. Germany just changed the classification of cbd oil from food supplements to essential oils and now there 100% legal lol