Halocur for calves

Billybob

This year the vet advised us to give the calves halocur because they said there’s a lot of farms with crypto around and so we did do any of ye find it’s hard on the calves stomach???

10mls daily.i am not an expert, the farmer.i contract rear for was using halocur for a few years which is best avoided I believe. Switched to crypto gold now

Started using halocur this year and the calved dung is a bit bloody after it not much but we never had it before it must be the halocur so

Definitely hard on them alright. Only give it to calves after their feed. Have seen calves go off their milk for a feed or two while on it and would skip the Halocur until they perk up a bit. It doesn't do anything for treating calves with crypto in my experience of it.

This year the vet advised us to give the calves halocur because they said there’s a lot of farms with crypto around and so we did do any of ye find it’s hard on the calves stomach???
Are you just giving them halocur because the vet told you to do It as it is around or have you actually got an outbreak of crypto?

Definitely hard on them alright. Only give it to calves after their feed. Have seen calves go off their milk for a feed or two while on it and would skip the Halocur until they perk up a bit. It doesn't do anything for treating calves with crypto in my experience of it.
Ya it’s not meant to treat them there is a different one if they have crypto

We give it while the calf is drinking, take the calfs head off the teat, 2 shots, back on again. We never give it on an empty stomach.

Ya that’s what we’d do ,how long have I been using it do u find it works
About 10 years, no issues with crypto scour once we give 8ml a day for 7 days. It's no extra work as we would be there with the calves drinking for the first week anyway.

About 10 years, no issues with crypto scour once we give 8ml a day for 7 days. It's no extra work as we would be there with the calves drinking for the first week anyway.
Started this year but once calves go on automatic feeder it’s not so easy because if they drank early I have to wait til they can drink again and every calf wud have a diff time

Started this year but once calves go on automatic feeder it’s not so easy because if they drank early I have to wait til they can drink again and every calf wud have a diff time
We leave them on the teat feeder for a week before putting them on the automatic feeder. We have 2 training pens and as soon as we feel they're drinking well enough, they move to the auto feeder pens. Slower ones can be kept back for a few days as well until they get the knack of feeding.

Back