Going to chance some

Attachments

• 20240603_134143.jpg
    20240603_134143.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 75
  • 20240603_135540.jpg
    20240603_135540.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 75
Feck it, got a good shower here last night. Headlands weren't fit to bale yesterday.

Am I better off just calling the contractor and going for silage/haylage at this stage ?

Weather looks dull enough for the rest of the week. Brightening up at the weekend again. It was mowed last Wednesday. I'd like to keep some small bit of quality in it.

Feck it, got a good shower here last night. Headlands weren't fit to bale yesterday.

Am I better off just calling the contractor and going for silage/haylage at this stage ?

Weather looks dull enough for the rest of the week. Brightening up at the weekend again. It was mowed last Wednesday. I'd like to keep some small bit of quality in it.
I would be slow to wrap for hayledge after it has gotten rain. Been there done that... Wants to be reasonable fit been baled too.

It sounds like it was perfect for haylage yesterday, haylage is pretty much hay with maybe a little green but definitely not wet or damp. if it’s one day off baling as hay it’s perfect for haylage. Get it dry again then wrap it.

View attachment 138264

All baled between 4-7pm last yesterday. and brought in last night.

Just over 5 bales per acre. Some of it was just about fit for hay but most was too green. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
If it was nearly fit for hay when you wrapped them, when you open the bales you think you opened a bale of hay, they will just smell like hay, if you baled it and didn’t wrap you would have a heap of shite.

Will it make into hay by Wednesday evening?
Both pictures taken today at 1pm.

The plan is to bale and wrap the headlands into haylage, this evening or in the morning, make the middle of the field into hay tomorrow evening.

Attachments

• 0C61938B-6A1E-4FD8-891D-E873A567618F.jpeg
    0C61938B-6A1E-4FD8-891D-E873A567618F.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 217D3B42-5C5C-46C8-B1C9-2EA5D73BD659.jpeg
    217D3B42-5C5C-46C8-B1C9-2EA5D73BD659.jpeg
    592.2 KB · Views: 102
Will it make into hay by Wednesday evening?
Both pictures taken today at 1pm.

The plan is to bale and wrap the headlands into haylage, this evening or in the morning, make the middle of the field into hay tomorrow evening.

That's still very damp. Similar to the stuff we had here. Unless you're making very very loose bales I'd wrap it. Keep in mind that any further turning will just knock more quality out of it.

TBH it's a very difficult country to make hay in June. Our commercial grass varieties are very leafy, full of moisture and the base of the swarth will be still damp, even when you mow it in the finest weather.

You'd nearly have it beaten to a pulp with the tedder before it was dry enough not to heat or go dusty at the least.

I envy farmers in the States who cut on a Monday, give it one belt of a tedder and bale it on Wednesday into those 6ft round bales as green as anything. They have twice the drying and half the moisture as a starting point though.

That's still very damp. Similar to the stuff we had here. Unless you're making very very loose bales I'd wrap it. Keep in mind that any further turning will just knock more quality out of it.

TBH it's a very difficult country to make hay in June. Our commercial grass varieties are very leafy, full of moisture and the base of the swarth will be still damp, even when you mow it in the finest weather.

You'd nearly have it beaten to a pulp with the tedder before it was dry enough not to heat or go dusty at the least.

I envy farmers in the States who cut on a Monday, give it one belt of a tedder and bale it on Wednesday into those 6ft round bales as green as anything. They have twice the drying and half the moisture as a starting point though.
Some of them lads have to add moisture with a steamer when it’s too dry…..

We like to make some bales of hay every year for our own use, we feed it to store cattle when they arrive from the mart, we find a straw bed and a bit of hay, has led to fewer sick cattle.

Making hay is a bit of a challenge, today was dry around here, windy with occasional sunshine.
Hopefully tomorrow will be similar or a bit better..

Last edited:
Back