Hay Prices - What figure am i missing?

Saving hay and saving turf. It's not summer until your sunburnt from hay time and eaten alive by midges in the bog.
Personally I semi enjoy saving a bit of hay but I hate saving turf with a passion worthy of a Shakespeare play. Oh woe is me. These days I get it tipped in the yard and all I've to do is bulldoze it into the shed with the loader.

40 euro an acre for tedding would buy a lot of wrap too. I dont understand the fascination with hay if I'm being honest!!
Yea I am the same. We started making it when we were in REPS and got our customers. Now we know they will take it and are reliable men. We also have a lad who buys the second cut wraps off me. Having consistency helps. Hate putting stuff on donedeal

Saving hay and saving turf. It's not summer until your sunburnt from hay time and eaten alive by midges in the bog.
Personally I semi enjoy saving a bit of hay but I hate saving turf with a passion worthy of a Shakespeare play. Oh woe is me. These days I get it tipped in the yard and all I've to do is bulldoze it into the shed with the loader.

I seem to remember ye drawing turf through Errill one Sunday, either last year or year before?

Our turf was only cut last Monday , so just about in June . For the last 4 years I have got the neighbour to turn it with machine , and windrow it , when it's nearly dry . Super job . 1st job is drawing it home .

I have no patience , nor much storage , for hay . I made 60 bales in 2018 , when you couldn't fail . Used the last couple of bales a month ago . Calves work better eating nice straw .

Ah lads, we have moved on from the hardship of haybobs. I have land i prefer to use for hay, if there is decent weather about, but I won't leave it standing waiting for weather either. The land can't take the heavy traffic of silage, so thats why its hay

Ah lads, we have moved on from the hardship of haybobs. I have land i prefer to use for hay, if there is decent weather about, but I won't leave it standing waiting for weather either. The land can't take the heavy traffic of silage, so thats why its hay
Haybob still here:crying:Please God we might invest for next year

Silage traffic? Cutting hay is not that much different than baled silage in that regard?

I seem to remember ye drawing turf through Errill one Sunday, either last year or year before?

Our turf was only cut last Monday , so just about in June . For the last 4 years I have got the neighbour to turn it with machine , and windrow it , when it's nearly dry . Super job . 1st job is drawing it home .

I have no patience , nor much storage , for hay . I made 60 bales in 2018 , when you couldn't fail . Used the last couple of bales a month ago . Calves work better eating nice straw .
Last year that was. My neighbour saved it along with his own for me last summer and all I did was provide a tractor and trailer.

25 acres of grass cut for hay

Mowing = €20x25 acre=500
Tedding = €10x25x4 times = 1000
Raking = 10x25 =250
Baling (Round )= 270 bales x € 7= 1890

€3640

Sell 270 bales for 25€ = 6750

6750-3640=

3110€ profit

What figure am i missing here?, are my prices way out

Thanks
The weather
Dont think you'll make 10bales to the acre spread 4 times more like 7/8

I have a strange gra for turf. We cut 7 rows. 4 for ourselves, 1 for the parents and 2 for a lad that helps us on the farm. It takes an hour to foot a row. I find great peace in getting up at 5 am and spending 2 or 3 hours on the bog footing it. It helps that we have a great dry turf bank - its just a few inches of clay on top of rock, and once turf it lifted its safe. I haven't such a love of bringing home turf but if I can do it at my own pace I don't mind it too much.

I have a strange gra for turf. We cut 7 rows. 4 for ourselves, 1 for the parents and 2 for a lad that helps us on the farm. It takes an hour to foot a row. I find great peace in getting up at 5 am and spending 2 or 3 hours on the bog footing it. It helps that we have a great dry turf bank - its just a few inches of clay on top of rock, and once turf it lifted its safe. I haven't such a love of bringing home turf but if I can do it at my own pace I don't mind it too much.

I only do one hopper per year as we only have a room insert stove in the living room , I love the turf process ( maybe because i only make a small amount ) , find the bog a very relaxing - peaceful place to be

The biggest figure ur missing is the year when there’s lots of hay, lads have no sheds and let it go at 15 euro or less because they did all the work themselves and the baler man only wants a fiver so they still make a tenner “profit”.

Made the first hay here in 12 years or so, on the 15th June as others said something very satisfying about it especially being able to tell buyers it's June hay, no weeds, baled without any rain. Got €25 out of the field.

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_114532.jpg
    IMG_20210616_114532.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210616_114740.jpg
    IMG_20210616_114740.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 33
Made the first hay here in 12 years or so, on the 15th June as others said something very satisfying about it especially being able to tell buyers it's June hay, no weeds, baled without any rain. Got €25 out of the field.
is the satisfying this about it, that you judged the weather perfect and got one up on it :laugh: .

selling twenty five bales myself , think ive it sold already though the buyer is slow to arrive and confirm he wants it , am i the only one however who finds it sort of annoying when anonymous callers phone up wanting to know everything , I always say who I am and expect them to do the same , I cant take someone serious as a buyer if they refuse to identify themselves

Back