Heating oil Tank

Carbery tanks were notorious for that, I presume the sunlight does the damage causing it to become brittle?
I presume so, even though it wouldn’t see much direct sunlight being on the north side of the house. Kingspan tank.

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 26
Patched one a few years ago with silicon a few years ago. Still in use.

Did a Carbery one here with Gripfill. Still leaking, it's used for water anyway so not a concern. It's either 1991 or 1993 and it was the Beast from the East which did the job on it.

Carbery tanks were notorious for that, I presume the sunlight does the damage causing it to become brittle?

I suppose a coat of weathershied wouldn't do any harm so. I know some pipe manufacturers reccomend it for pipes if outside.

Tank here starting failing too. It’s on the southside of a garage. Changed it before it leaked. Went with a bunded plastic tank as a replacement, the outer tank should protect the inner tank well.

I suppose a coat of weathershied wouldn't do any harm so. I know some pipe manufacturers reccomend it for pipes if outside.
On flat roofs they used to paint them with a silver reflective paint, the idea was to bounce the sun's rays away from the surface. In theory it might work. Four plastic oil tanks here all inside sheds, never get hot direct sunlight rays on them and they still have their original green colour.

Back