heavy jump leads

cormywormy

Hi lads,
Where would i get a heavy duty set of jump leads, the places around me only stock mickey mouse size ones.

The best place for the heavy duty jump leads is probably a commercial vehicle electrical supplier..I bought a set about 7 years ago.cut the clips off of one end and fitted the grey hella plug..then ran more cables direct from the battery to the rear of the vehicle and fitted the other half of the plug ,This then saves time and is much easier/safer if you need to use them on the side of a road etc as you can just pull in front of the stricken vehicle and plug in the jump leads...(as seen in the aa/rac:thumbup1:)

thats what I have as well Geoff on the landie ,I also got another set of clips and another plug and made a short bit so they can be used as ordinary leads ,
its a handy way to fit an anti spike to protect modern electrics ,just put it at the permenantly fixed section :thumbup1:

thats what I have as well Geoff on the landie ,I also got another set of clips and another plug and made a short bit so they can be used as ordinary leads ,
its a handy way to fit an anti spike to protect modern electrics ,just put it at the permenantly fixed section :thumbup1:

what is an "anti -spike" please?

We've an old set of cables here.
Wire itself is fine, heavy grade flex, and long too.

But the clamps could do with upgrading.

Anyone seen ones that can be soldered on to get maximum contact?

I seem to think I've seen some pree loaded with solder that you melt and stick the cable in!?

Old ones are just clamped to the clamps by a mettle strip. Not convinced it's doing the size of cable justice tbh!

We've an old set of cables here.
Wire itself is fine, heavy grade flex, and long too.

But the clamps could do with upgrading.

Anyone seen ones that can be soldered on to get maximum contact?

I seem to think I've seen some pree loaded with solder that you melt and stick the cable in!?

Old ones are just clamped to the clamps by a mettle strip. Not convinced it's doing the size of cable justice tbh!
Try your local autoleccy place👍they may even solder them for you as large cable is a tw@ to solder

Reactions: AYF
I reckon a crimp or clamp would be a better job.

Solder is a hard joint and the end of a jump lead needs a lot of flexibility.
Solder is the bees knees on them
I did the last jumper leads probably 8 year ago and they still good
All the crimp type go to shyte in a short time

Solder joins are prone to cracking more than crimps. Soldering is generally avoided on auto looms for this reason, and jump leads flex a lot more than most parts of a wiring loom.

But if it's working for headcase how bad

A good welding supplier will have loads of heavy cable 70 square and bigger just buy whatever lenght you need, only downside is its usually just one colour, but black and red clamps and readily available.

The problem with jump lead cables is they are not crimped/clamped further back along the cable where the cable is covered. They are only crimped where the sheath is stripped. This leaves a flex point between the stripped cable and the covered cable end. This flex point wears and breaks individual wires leaving it weak till eventually it snaps altogether. Solder should be at the first crimp point and a second crimp point then that holds the covered cable and leaves the flex point on the covered cable.

I think the weakest contact in jump leads is often between the clamp and battery pole, it would often be less than 2sq.mm of contact .
is why my clamps may be wearing out slowly.... everytime i use them the get a light touch with a grinder...

is why my clamps may be wearing out slowly.... everytime i use them the get a light touch with a grinder...
Our clamps are very good.
They are pads rather than the crocodile clip style.

I decided to rejuvenate ours.
Cut the wires off, cleaned up the clamps and any contact points, re attached the cables onto fresh brass.

Had to be used in anger this morning, and started the tractor up better than ever
May just stick with these the way they are.

How would I stop the copper oxidising?
Coat the ends in copper grease?

Or is there better?

Our clamps are very good.
They are pads rather than the crocodile clip style.

I decided to rejuvenate ours.
Cut the wires off, cleaned up the clamps and any contact points, re attached the cables onto fresh brass.

Had to be used in anger this morning, and started the tractor up better than ever
May just stick with these the way they are.

How would I stop the copper oxidising?
Coat the ends in copper grease?

Or is there better?
Google suggests grease or clear coat paint🤷‍♂️

Back