Heavy stores

There is no definite answer to that and it depends on if you are Bord Bia quality assured yourself too.

Sorry what I’m trying to establish is if I have cattle that will be coming off their second summer grazing and around 18-20 months old how heavy should I aim to try and get them rather than finish them myself. They would be sims Charlies bb her and sh. Out of fleckveih dairy cows. It would be debatable if finishing them in house would actually pay.

While there isn't a definite answer, you can look at what sold well this year. In Feb, march and April, good quality stores 550kg were a very good trade and there was a lot of demand in the marts for them. Even now, looking at mart reports, these type of cattle are still in good demand.

I find that at the back end of the year, a lighter store 400kg to 500kg has not been a spectacular seller in recent years.

A lot of it comes down to the quality of the animal that you have.

Sorry what I’m trying to establish is if I have cattle that will be coming off their second summer grazing and around 18-20 months old how heavy should I aim to try and get them rather than finish them myself. They would be sims Charlies bb her and sh. Out of fleckveih dairy cows. It would be debatable if finishing them in house would actually pay.

Your aswell off not over thinking it. Do them as well as you can. The more weight you have the more money you will get.

Would it be possible that a decent bullock would average over 365 days a kg a day or is that optimistic maybe.8 a day. I’m averaging calves today at 150kg (guess). I was thinking if they went into 550-600 coming of grass October 22 would it pay as well. We always worked with buying stores at autumn and running them till they finished but between extra silage and heavy mealing and bedding I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Would it be possible that a decent bullock would average over 365 days a kg a day or is that optimistic maybe.8 a day. I’m averaging calves today at 150kg (guess). I was thinking if they went into 550-600 coming of grass October 22 would it pay as well. We always worked with buying stores at autumn and running them till they finished but between extra silage and heavy mealing and bedding I’m not sure it’s worth it.
365kg weanling at 12 months old is possible.

Back