hedgecutting

Had a fella in doing a small digging job today with a mini digger and got him ( as well ) to begin mulching around the headland of a field I am getting fenced for sheep in the next month

Presumably the charge is lower where the contractor is using a mini digger?
Did you not ask?

Had a fella in doing a small digging job today with a mini digger and got him ( as well ) to begin mulching around the headland of a field I am getting fenced for sheep in the next month

Presumably the charge is lower where the contractor is using a mini digger?

Only the digger owner can answer you that . probably should have been discussed before starting .

And if has a bigger digger also , and he thought the bigger one more suitable for mulching , he would have told you .

More I'd say. Those mulchers on mini diggers are big money per hour.
They are as expensive as the big ones to buy sure, could be more than €60 as you say, can’t see them being any more than €80 though
A lot better than a petrol strimmer though

Only the digger owner can answer you that . probably should have been discussed before starting .

And if has a bigger digger also , and he thought the bigger one more suitable for mulching , he would have told you .
He was in doing a job with mini digger ( two hour job ) and had mulcher on trailer so asked him to do it ,he's half done , ninety minutes done , another two should clean around ditch

Just assumed it would take longer with a mini digger so per hour rate would be lower ?

He was in doing a job with mini digger ( two hour job ) and had mulcher on trailer so asked him to do it ,he's half done , ninety minutes done , another two should clean around ditch.

If its only a 3 hour job , cost isnt huge , relative to what labour and hardship it would take to do manually .
I waved goodbye to our neighbour and his 13 ton Hitachi on Tuesday , after 2 1/2 weeks , plus 17 lorry loads of drainage stone .... Only about 4 hours of that with the mulcher , cleaning back a bank of a drain before he cleaned it .

If its only a 3 hour job , cost isnt huge , relative to what labour and hardship it would take to do manually .
I waved goodbye to our neighbour and his 13 ton Hitachi on Tuesday , after 2 1/2 weeks , plus 17 lorry loads of drainage stone .... Only about 4 hours of that with the mulcher , cleaning back a bank of a drain before he cleaned it .
I'm still unclear as to whether mulching carries the same charge whether or not its on a mini or big digger?

Good bit less cost in moving a mini digger so you might imagine it incurs a lower fee ?

After all, mini digger is about 35 per hour where as a twelve tonne track machine over fifty

I'm still unclear as to whether mulching carries the same charge whether or not its on a mini or big digger?

Good bit less cost in moving a mini digger so you might imagine it incurs a lower fee ?

After all, mini digger is about 35 per hour where as a twelve tonne track machine over fifty
Is he doing a bad job or something?

The owner of the digger will,ask him

2 people have given their opinion . Not the answer .
Only the digger owner can answer you that question . Unless he is a member on the forum , theres no point in asking .

2 people have given their opinion . Not the answer .
Only the digger owner can answer you that question . Unless he is a member on the forum , theres no point in asking .
Let's not be obtuse, there are standard charges for different jobs, most people in the trade can tell you how much ploughing or slurry spreading etc is , each contractor doesn't have a different set charge

It’s like hiring a topper or grass harrow,they’re the same rate as a tractor because they wear faster and have a lower 2nd hand value,once in the field the rate should be less I agree but it’ll take longer to do the work.

Let's not be obtuse, there are standard charges for different jobs, most people in the trade can tell you how much ploughing or slurry spreading etc is , each contractor doesn't have a different set charge
Pick a job and I'll give you 6 different prices from 6 different contractors. If the price is that important you should have asked before you started, if you're happy with the job then pay whatever you're asked. I wouldn't price anyone else's work, nor would I expect them to price mine.

Pick a job and I'll give you 6 different prices from 6 different contractors. If the price is that important you should have asked before you started, if you're happy with the job then pay whatever you're asked. I wouldn't price anyone else's work, nor would I expect them to price mine.
Nice speech

Not how I do things though , I don't sign blank cheques no matter how well a job is done

I rarely if ever ask a contractor what they charge for a job , either before or after they do they job .
I know if i want a job done , i will have to pay for it .
In fairness , i dont use contractors as much as most farmers , we cut our own pit silage , spread our own slurry .
The digger man live 3/4 of a mile away , the 1st job i got him for was in 1994 . He charges well , is a virtual surgeon with a digger , and worth every penny . Can take his time making up a bill , so sometimes give him some on account.
a different man cuts the hedges here since 1989 , and also bales , since he bought a baler in either 95 or 96 . He has always treated me well , and i him . throw him a few pound through the year , as bales are done .

No one is being smart with you . I havent a clue how much an hour my neighbour charges me for the digger , mulcher head , stoning cart , tractor and dump trailer. I trust him not ride me , and he trusts me to pay him for the work that he has done for me.

At the end of the day , your total bill will still be in the hundreds . Not worth getting worked up about .

Well then you should have asked the price before you gave the go ahead.

I rarely if ever ask a contractor what they charge for a job , either before or after they do they job .
I know if i want a job done , i will have to pay for it .
In fairness , i dont use contractors as much as most farmers , we cut our own pit silage , spread our own slurry .
The digger man live 3/4 of a mile away , the 1st job i got him for was in 1994 . He charges well , is a virtual surgeon with a digger , and worth every penny . Can take his time making up a bill , so sometimes give him some on account.
a different man cuts the hedges here since 1989 , and also bales , since he bought a baler in either 95 or 96 . He has always treated me well , and i him . throw him a few pound through the year , as bales are done .

No one is being smart with you . I havent a clue how much an hour my neighbour charges me for the digger , mulcher head , stoning cart , tractor and dump trailer. I trust him not ride me , and he trusts me to pay him for the work that he has done for me.

At the end of the day , your total bill will still be in the hundreds . Not worth getting worked up about .
Each to their own

I also never ask my general agri contractor what his fees are ,this is someone who only ever did a few jobs before so it's a different situation entirely

Each to their own

I also never ask my general agri contractor what his fees are ,this is someone who only ever did a few jobs before so it's a different situation entirely
As jf says the difference between a dear and a cheap rate in this occasion is going to be about the price of 2/3 dinners so if you were going to let him run through the farm for a week or two id be asking him the price bull

Well then you should have enquired beforehand if you are so worried . It wont make 100 of a difference to the bill , whether he is 60 or 80 an hour .
So you just dismiss a hundred quid like that then?

Like I said, each to their own

Il phone someone tomorrow about it , too late for listening to condescension

Back