hedgecutting

Question for you guys who do hedgecutting, do you ever get asked to cut into the triangle shape where one side is just lightly trimmed but other side cut down well into a slope so as to encourage growth on that side more?

Question for you guys who do hedgecutting, do you ever get asked to cut into the triangle shape where one side is just lightly trimmed but other side cut down well into a slope so as to encourage growth on that side more?

Without being asked I try to cut all hedge sides sloping inwards towards the top where possible, it encourages growth lower down and if there is no electric fence helps to keep stock back, also means the top is narrower so less passes to clear the top.

did have one farmer who wouldnt let us cut the inside of the roadsides because he once had a cow push its way through the hedge and it got run over on the road

We have started trimming the sides of the hedges with the verge trimmer and are giving more of a slope to the side of the hedges and it has thickened them up . I have even got the chainsaw and cut back stumps and strong parts of the hedge to give a better slope . The hedges I coppiced will be trimmed on one side with the verge trimmer . I was wondering should I lay the new shoots or trim them back . I was thinking of tying them down after weaving them together and then trim anything that grows up next year .

Ah ok, cos I'm gonna get my man to do some this year and didnt want to be just some awkward yoke. Good to hear others do it

Without being asked I try to cut all hedge sides sloping inwards towards the top where possible, it encourages growth lower down and if there is no electric fence helps to keep stock back, also means the top is narrower so less passes to clear the top.

Yep thats why I wanted it done:thumbup:

Was an advert on FB not long ago looking for lads to go driving similar machines either in NZ or OZ, can't remember which!

Might be a good opportunity for lads wanting to travel? Would be something different from silage and the rest!

Season opens one week from now, what is the general opinion on being restricted to 1st Sept onwards, road sides are well overgrown, fields that are destined for OSR could have been trimmed, likewise areas of grassland that were reseeded mid to late August will not take kindly to being given 3 runs around the perimeter in October/ November.. I see a former member making his feelings known down the page here. http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news...ave-been-prosecuted-for-illegal-hedgecutting/

Season opens one week from now, what is the general opinion on being restricted to 1st Sept onwards, road sides are well overgrown, fields that are destined for OSR could have been trimmed, likewise areas of grassland that were reseeded mid to late August will not take kindly to being given 3 runs around the perimeter in October/ November.. I see a former member making his feelings known down the page here. http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news...ave-been-prosecuted-for-illegal-hedgecutting/

I agree that roadsides are well overgrown, dangerously so in a lot of cases, isn't there provision in the regulations to allow cutting for road safety reasons in the closed season?
My opinion is that those that don't cut their roadside hedges should be prosecuted, it's gone to the stage now on some roads driving a lorry you'd be over the white line trying to save the left hand mirror being smashed with the hedges. There are a lot of road hedges that were never cut and are only kept back somewhat by being brushed by passing traffic, these are so bad that a flail machine would make little or no impact and would need a saw machine to sort out. What's the problem with these land owners, is it being tight fisted or thinking it's not their responsibility? It can't be that there aren't lads to do it, around here there's plenty of hedgecutters.
As for some lads using hedge cutters they only cut enough height to save car mirrors, one more pass to go to the height of a lorry mirror would be a great help and where possible in softish hedges angle the head to taper in the hedge, I'd swear some lads use a plumb bob the hedges do be so vertical after their done.
The ESB and Eir need a good slapping too for where they put poles, downright thoughtless.

Just the same over here I was ordering spare nozzles after more damage on road side hedges and the dealer was remarking that it used to booms getting damaged in work now its on the road that the most of the damage occurs . I,m into local history a bit , when you start looking back through photos from the last 100 odd years the one thing that is glaringly obvious is the hedges are all neat wee things cut at fence height

Last edited:
Theres a guy localy has a small place . Hes an ex copper possibly cid . His other half likes to tell people shes a lawyer but i dont think thats really what she is .there hobby is suing people the road up through there land is now like a tunnel .mirrors hitting the hedge on both sides . Evey now and then presumably after the council have spent a lot if money on lawyers ,they tickle it with a hedger just to say its been cut and then the whole process starts again . Its a pain in the arse when were using it . You usually end up having to fold the mirrors in . Another contractor uses the road a lot more than us a few years ago he was getting a petition together and they were going to get an expencive lawyer involved to sort them out but think the stress if the job ontop ofvthis problem was getting to him so he backed off.the local council are needing to grow a set and just cut it , make them take the council to court .
Thus pair are a member of a group localy ,about 50 aparently ,if one if them have a grievance about anything the rest throw there weught behind it to . Supposedly the reason the 2 if them aren't married is so the 2 of them can put in separate complaints where as if they were married it would go down as just 1

I gave my hedges two runs on the side a couple of months ago. The road wouldn't be overly wide here. Two cars will pass but a car and tractor would be tightish. A neighbour of mine runs a fleet of artic lorrys and buses and we try keep the hedges in good order to makes things a bit safer. I can think of lots of places that have never been cut and you will be over the white line trying not to hit your mirror. Also lads need to do things about trees growing out. There is a few around I know of that you need to go to the far side of the road to get under the tree if you have a high load or even a silage traiker behind you. Judging by the marks some people clearly didn't keep out far enough

I agree that roadsides are well overgrown, dangerously so in a lot of cases, isn't there provision in the regulations to allow cutting for road safety reasons in the closed season?
Yep exempts already exist to allow cutting of overgrown hedges along roads on safety grounds
And as Arthur said, around cultivated ground.

Season opens one week from now, what is the general opinion on being restricted to 1st Sept onwards
Never met a decent farmer on dry land who actually runs into real issues. On the other hand I know some who if you gave them a 10 month cutting period they'd cut in the other two out of spite.

Theres a real need for an exemption on approval base for really wet ground to be cut in say May.

The proposal to allow cut in August for anyone is frankly bullshit

If you were left cut them all year around it Wouldn't be any different most lads don't give a shite about it.
When you see them pulling out onto roads they can't see because of the bushes and they still won't cut them your fighting a loosing battle.
There's a place I pass everyday and they have a pony inside in a half acre field you'd hardly see him with the amount of ragwort in it.
If there not prepared to pull w half an acre of it says alot about them as farmers.

I'd be ready for the next time their gone off on holidays, in like a shot and cut the lot...let them be :scratchhead:when they come back!!
That sounds like a plan to me.
Hire in a tractor and machine from away aways. Hide the number plates and driver in a balaclava.

Wasnt us... wasnt any of our tractors anyhow.... who knows!

Youd think Id thunk of this before!

Just going to put it on over the weekend and give a wash, squirt of grease and a quick run up to make sure it's working as well as it was 6 months ago....
Them yokes are like Christmas tree lights, fine when you put them away and when you take them back out of storage they have problems, I find I need to give a week or two get mine sorted..:yes::wink:

Is there a story to tell?
We had been hatching various plans to deal with an old lads bit of hedge on a corner down the road. But the old lad suddenly wound up in an old folks home so the challenge was hardly the same!

Back