hedgecutting

I wouldn't like to bet on it, €35k hedgecutter on a tractor covered for €30 k, if the whole lot ended up a pile of ashes they would be unlikely to cough up €65k
my policy is anything on the tractor up to iirc 200 or 250k

Reactions: Paw
I wouldn't like to bet on it, €35k hedgecutter on a tractor covered for €30 k, if the whole lot ended up a pile of ashes they would be unlikely to cough up €65k
Your right we had an incident a few years ago involving a machine on the back of a tractor.
Insurance wouldn't cover it as it wasn't named separately on the policy.
Anything else is only hearsay

Would the hedger not be covered by the tractors insurance?.
It's still ongoing but yes we will get sorted out sooner or later I guess.

McConnel have offered to build me another Econ cutter with the same mods we had on this one we lost, and there's a few TM's here to fit it to although I'm tempted to use a nice 6930 autopower I bought recently to sell on... Must say I'm blue through an through but the autopower trans is very tempting !

Last edited:
Your right we had an incident a few years ago involving a machine on the back of a tractor.
Insurance wouldn't cover it as it wasn't named separately on the policy.
Anything else is only hearsay
Have the ten most valuable bits of machinery in the yard covered as well as tractors. Its peace of mind and not expensive at all for the cover given. My first car policy was a grand dearer than the annual policy now of the machinery and that was on a 1.2 litre bean tin

I think it is always best to mention attached machinery GPS and Control Boxes and associated wiring on the insurance . I Mentioned the Cable to the sprayer and fertiliser spreader .

With Zurich here, tractors and teleporter are all insured separate, have machinery insured for 100k then separately, all machines covered under that.

No he was just driving along road to job and pulled over when smoke started entering cab. Jumped out to investigate and never got chance to get his bait tools or anything. No idea what started it.
Was there a fire extinguisher on the tractor or did the driver not have a chance to get back up for it? A large powder extinguisher is extremely effective along with a deadman switch to kill the electrics first.

It's still ongoing but yes we will get sorted out sooner or later I guess.

McConnel have offered to build me another Econ cutter with the same mods we had on this one we lost, and there's a few TM's here to fit it to although I'm tempted to use a nice 6930 autopower I bought recently to sell on... Must say I'm blue through an through but the autopower trans is very tempting !
You like the mid mounted? A guy here tried one and didn't like it, said you couldn't see what was coming, but then its what your used to.

Was there a fire extinguisher on the tractor or did the driver not have a chance to get back up for it? A large powder extinguisher is extremely effective along with a deadman switch to kill the electrics first.
Didn't get chance. From pics it appears to start under cab above the full plastic diesel tank, so took hold quite quickly.

We once had a telehandler catch fire and put it out with fire extinguishers. It was the worst thing we could have done as it was repaired but there were problems with pipes and electrics failing long after. It would have been better to have been deemed total loss IMO.

You like the mid mounted? A guy here tried one and didn't like it, said you couldn't see what was coming, but then its what your used to.
Yes we really like the mid mount concept. I know what you say about not being able to see but it's a bit like not being able to see the near side when driving a car.. You just get used to it and know you are. A mid mount can be controlled by steering the tractor and with the cutting point being between the wheelbase you half the corrections to keep level. When siding off and turn away it responds immediately where a rear cutter dives into the hedge before coming away if no joystick action taken. Also with these modern proportional controls we feel parallel linkage is not required and we like it better without it.

Yes we really like the mid mount concept. I know what you say about not being able to see but it's a bit like not being able to see the near side when driving a car.. You just get used to it and know you are. A mid mount can be controlled by steering the tractor and with the cutting point being between the wheelbase you half the corrections to keep level. When siding off and turn away it responds immediately where a rear cutter dives into the hedge before coming away if no joystick action taken. Also with these modern proportional controls we feel parallel linkage is not required and we like it better without it.
I noticed that after putting a vfr arm on the one here, its as much of a benefit as having a better view of the head, as you say it cuts down arm movements considerably. I take it you leave it on the tractor all year round?

I noticed that after putting a vfr arm on the one here, its as much of a benefit as having a better view of the head, as you say it cuts down arm movements considerably. I take it you leave it on the tractor all year round?
Yes. have two mid mounts permanently fitted or should I say did have.. The 125 had done 20k hours and we had no intention changing.

Have looked at VFR and haven't completely ruled out buying one but The econs are less than 1000kg and being mid mounted spreads the weight over the full wheelbase, ideal for soft going. Their not for everyone though as they aint so good in tight lanes but we have rear cutters if needed.

anybody no is it a big job to change the little display screen on a McConnel v3 control I bought a pa 60 with v3 and the little screen is hard to see just about able to read it if you look at it at a certain angle

anybody no is it a big job to change the little display screen on a McConnel v3 control I bought a pa 60 with v3 and the little screen is hard to see just about able to read it if you look at it at a certain angle
You should be able to change the contrast through settings .

A magazine came today and there's a write up about a local contractor in it who does hedgecutting, reckons they use gps for it. Is that complete bollocks or what or is it even possible for that matter, if it is possible why would you?

A magazine came today and there's a write up about a local contractor in it who does hedgecutting, reckons they use gps for it. Is that complete bollocks or what or is it even possible for that matter, if it is possible why would you?
Unless its something like Trimble use on bulldozers for grading but that sounds like a lot of complication and expense..

Unless he has auto steer and is setting an identical curve up on the first pass then letting the tractor follow the same pass each time on the next round? Can’t see why it wouldn’t work? Could even possibly set a small nudge up of say the width of the tyre so you can bump it over and travel a new track each time?

Unless he has auto steer and is setting an identical curve up on the first pass then letting the tractor follow the same pass each time on the next round? Can’t see why it wouldn’t work? Could even possibly set a small nudge up of say the width of the tyre so you can bump it over and travel a new track each time?
New fendts so would have autosteer i guess, you have to steer yourself the first time round though?

New fendts so would have autosteer i guess, you have to steer yourself the first time round though?
Yeah I’d imagine you would have to steer atleast once unless you managed to save the lines from year to year but I can’t see that happening! I suppose if it was a big hedge taking a good few passes it would reduce the amount of effort the driver has to put in, just sit back and watch the head full time

Yeah I’d imagine you would have to steer atleast once unless you managed to save the lines from year to year but I can’t see that happening! I suppose if it was a big hedge taking a good few passes it would reduce the amount of effort the driver has to put in, just sit back and watch the head full time
Steering isn't so hard that it would be an advantage to be on auto at hedgecutting, travelling at under 2mph it's probably the least taxing bit of the job.

Steering isn't so hard that it would be an advantage to be on auto at hedgecutting, travelling at under 2mph it's probably the least taxing bit of the job.
I was thinking that myself, but it was the only possible thing I could think of, unless they have a digger type system on board that’s guiding levels but it would be hard to see it working?

Back