Herbal leys

Soissons

Just an update on my herbal ley. Ground got 2T of lime per acre, vibroflex grubber, and rolled back last December. 2.5 l per ha of roundup flex on 7 March. Vibroflexed again a week later and disced twice. 40 units of N , 10 of P, and 48 of K applied. Set 31 lbs. of Castle herbal ley mix per acre with one pass on 16 of April. Rolled once with ring roller and once with heavy flat roller. On hindsight, I think I set it a bit early and should have given it another dose of roundup before drilling.

. 4963E094-FA83-40B4-9133-00F658BEA243.jpegC8C57984-705E-4BE8-A5BC-D5F3D791CB63.jpeg It’s hard to tell which are weeds and which are herbs !!!

Funkeyfarmer

Planning on giving the 7way mix from goldcrop a go now that the soil is finally starting to warm. up anything I should watch out for it's for gazing beef stock I wouldn't be high input on the grass side anyway but if it worked out okay I was thinking to do my gazing fields in this mix and keep the normal mixes for the silage and hay areas. Any advice greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210519-124252_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-124252_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 31

Soissons

Planning on giving the 7way mix from goldcrop a go now that the soil is finally starting to warm. up anything I should watch out for it's for gazing beef stock I wouldn't be high input on the grass side anyway but if it worked out okay I was thinking to do my gazing fields in this mix and keep the normal mixes for the silage and hay areas. Any advice greatly appreciated
Make sure the seedbed is as weed free as possible as there is no herbicide suitable for post emergent application. I should have gone a least twice with roundup and sown latter. I’m paying for it now, an hour a day with the hoe rooting out thistle seedlings !

jf 850

Make sure the seedbed is as weed free as possible as there is no herbicide suitable for post emergent application. I should have gone a least twice with roundup and sown latter. I’m paying for it now, an hour a day with the hoe rooting out thistle seedlings !

Could you not treat with a knapsack of Grazon 90 ?
How are you getting on with grazing it ? The 2 people that I know with herbal leys are well pleased with it .
One lad is organic , and only has sheep .
The other fella would be a 2 cwt of 18/6/12 , and maybe a bag of 27%N in July man . He is using it to graze bucket reared bought in dairy calves . Interestingly , he also told me the exact same thing as you , about weeds .
He also said that it was quite expensive?