Herbal leys

Soissons

Has anyone had any experience in establishing and grazing herbal leys ? Is Autumn or spring sowing best? Any advice welcome. It would be for grazing sheep and possibly the odd cut of hay if possible. Tia.

Has anyone had any experience in establishing and grazing herbal leys ? Is Autumn or spring sowing best? Any advice welcome. It would be for grazing sheep and possibly the odd cut of hay if possible. Tia.
Anyone I've talked to about them say stitching in never really works so at least a disking will be needed. And a longer rest period after grazing to aid persistence of the herbs.

It will be going in after spring wheat so will probably plough after post harvest glyphosate.

What is the benefit of them versus a perennial ryegrass sward?

I think they are organic ?
The only piece of it that i know of , belongs to a local organic sheep/tillage farmer . He sows it to fatten lambs . It looks like it is littered with narrow Dock leaves , but I was told this is chicory plants . Something about thd chicory being like a natural worm dose .
How long would a herbal ley last ? 1 , 3 or 5 years ? Can you /do you spread like 2 bags of 18/6/12 on it in spring time ? Can it be meadowed ?

What is the benefit of them versus a perennial ryegrass sward?

Better stock health due to increased minerals in herbs, and anthelmintic properties due to tannins in herbs, increased palatability , less requirement for artificial fertiliser because of legumes and therefore higher protein forage. Or so I’ve been told! That’s why I’m looking for a downside, if anyone has any experience.

I think they are organic ?
The only piece of it that i know of , belongs to a local organic sheep/tillage farmer . He sows it to fatten lambs . It looks like it is littered with narrow Dock leaves , but I was told this is chicory plants . Something about thd chicory being like a natural worm dose .
How long would a herbal ley last ? 1 , 3 or 5 years ? Can you /do you spread like 2 bags of 18/6/12 on it in spring time ? Can it be meadowed ?

All good questions! Any answers?

A neighbour here sowed it two years ago. We bought yearlings off him that had been on it all summer, they had terrific thrive, they were getting some rough age with it but not sure if that was a requirement of the herbal ley or just his own choice.
Weed control is the obvious issue as there isn't anything chemical and that could effect durability. I dont think its suitable for silage but i suppose it depends on the mix you use.

I have a feeling that I heard that the seed is roughly double the price of an acre of grass seed ?

Doesn't like to be grazed early or late in the year AFAIK
Looked at it myself. But Febuary lambing would mean I'd have to use the field before it wants to grow.

I think it's probably fine if you've few enough sheep or enough land to keep them off early.
Over grazing is particularly bad, so not sure mowing would suit?

I think it needs long rest periods versus grass and clover lays

Almost as well with a good grass mix with plenty of clover in?

Apart from cotswold seeds in the UK, are there any other suppliers that have a high diversity herbal ley seed mix?

Apart from cotswold seeds in the UK, are there any other suppliers that have a high diversity herbal ley seed mix?

I got Watson’s herbal ley mix from Southern Fuel and Farm in Midleton. Due to plant them in the spring.

I am looking at different mixes at the moment, planning to try stitching some, full reseed for some depending on existing sward. @Soissons what was your reasoning for your choice?

This is what Goldcrop supply.

For 2021, there will be two varieties of Plantain in the mixes to help persistence.

The second mix will also have Birdsfoot Trefoil in it for 2021.

Attachments

• Muilti Species Swards Goldcrop.pdf
    178.8 KB · Views: 247

For 2021, there will be two varieties of Plantain in the mixes to help persistence.

Thanks - what ball park price is that coming in at per pack?

That second mix has me puzzled. It states that its for grazing every 30 days but the perennial ryegrass is 'persistent under frequent tight grazing'?
30 days of a rotation wouldn't be anywhere near persistent tight grazing and I doubt cows ability to graze it tight after 30 days at peak growth? Im thinking that both PRGs there will be gone out of the sward in a few short years as all youll be getting when you come into it is similar to grazing silage swards.
I'm not knocking the system, I just cant seem to reconcile the belief with the practice?

Back