Hitachi track motor

Looks as though you need to split it 1st?

Our local hitachi dealer sent me parts diagrams when my dads ex30 had motor troubles.
There's a lot of corrosion there, 3 allen screws in the small cover and 6 more of the same on the main part, the banjo bolt and hydraulic pipes to the rear have nowhere to move to so I'm thinking I have to free off everything first, just hoping someone might have seen one taken off or a diagram of the parts assembly.

It must be 5 years since I had one off a ex60-3. I know it wasn't really a problem but can't remember how it came apart. probably safer see if you can take the steel pipe off altogether and have it out off the way and I'm fairly sure you take it all off as one lump.

Sorry I'm not more help

There's a lot of corrosion there, 3 allen screws in the small cover and 6 more of the same on the main part, the banjo bolt and hydraulic pipes to the rear have nowhere to move to so I'm thinking I have to free off everything first, just hoping someone might have seen one taken off or a diagram of the parts assembly.

Give it a good soak with diesel,get some snap-on Allen sockets and hit them in with a hammer.

This is a pic from the he forum,ex60-2 though.

9D7B9BD2-6595-4159-8B50-41CD72A27571.png

Well it looks as if I have to get the 6 allen screws out to start with, a bit more clean up and a dose of penetrant and I'll try cracking them but don't need a fcuk up, no rush on this one as it's been sat a few weeks already.

The studs are good quality, they will come better than you expect. A while since I did one though

Just to dig up an old thread, Arthur what was the problem with your track motor to start with and what was the fix ? I'm trying to figure out what my one needs.

And a wider question to anyone in the know of these.
My one started throwing oil out the radial seal between the sprocket and motor... No25 in the above drawing. Literally in the space of 3-4 mins it went from a trickle to loosing a good 10 litres, luckily it was very close to get it on the trailer.

So far iv only found a few knackered seals , little to no fillings , no wear in any of the bearings, could I be lucky with just a seal kit. I haven't removed the bearing nut as I need to make a tool to remove it but I don't think it will uncover any problems bar allowing me to replace the radial seal.

Now since the day I got the machine that motor was slightly lazy and was putting some oil into the reduction hub. What else should I be looking for in the line of wear that might be causing oil to fill the gear hub .

Any help / opinions welcome.
Cheers
IMG_20210404_122604.jpgIMG_20210404_122612.jpgIMG_20210404_122626.jpgIMG_20210404_122642.jpgIMG_20210404_122706.jpg

Seals won’t effect it being lazy,very rare to get a pair similar powered.
I’d just replace all the seals if the internals are good.

Seals won’t effect it being lazy,very rare to get a pair similar powered.
I’d just replace all the seals if the internals are good.

To be honest if I don't find anything obvious or excessive wear on anything I probably will just do the seals only.... But I'd prefer to be on the safe side, don't want to waste another 2 days striping and refitting if I miss something.

I bought a new track motor for my Kubota a couple of years ago,fitted it and it pissed oil everywhere,I wasn’t happy,nobody pays you for the fitting and removing,you get quicker by the time your taking it off again.

Got the last of it stripped this morning, the bearing nut definitely wasn't anywhere near the 460 Nm it should have been, although I couldn't find any play in the bearings or see any damage on them I thought that there maybe a little too much wear on the stub ,as in the inner race could spin on it when the hub nut has been removed, maybe this is normal ? , Also the outter radial seal was perfect and the debris I seen from outside was actually the inner seals remains.
At the minute I'm thinking a seal kit and hope for the best, any opinions would be great. Cheers.
IMG_20210405_085720.jpgIMG_20210405_093729.jpgIMG_20210405_093801.jpg

Check your case drain pressure, if the seals in the distributor are leaking this will increase the case drain pressure and maybe the cause of the seals blowing.

Our ex60-2 here got the two track motors resealed by Vincent salmon (western hydraulics) in knock, they both had the exact same seal gone as yours, and they both also where like you explained, they where sound for the day then within about 10 minutes they where excessively leaking oil, Vincent Asked us at the time did we do any bog work with the machine, he reckoned that he seen a lot of machines come in with barbed wire and all sorts of stuff caught in around that seal causing it to rip out, I’ve have the old seals some where around here off ours, but I recall them looking worn very similar to your ones, if you need seals western hydraulics would more then likely have them on the shelf, or MG in swinford

Just to dig up an old thread, Arthur what was the problem with your track motor to start with and what was the fix ? I'm trying to figure out what my one needs.

And a wider question to anyone in the know of these.
My one started throwing oil out the radial seal between the sprocket and motor... No25 in the above drawing. Literally in the space of 3-4 mins it went from a trickle to loosing a good 10 litres, luckily it was very close to get it on the trailer.

So far iv only found a few knackered seals , little to no fillings , no wear in any of the bearings, could I be lucky with just a seal kit. I haven't removed the bearing nut as I need to make a tool to remove it but I don't think it will uncover any problems bar allowing me to replace the radial seal.

Now since the day I got the machine that motor was slightly lazy and was putting some oil into the reduction hub. What else should I be looking for in the line of wear that might be causing oil to fill the gear hub .

Any help / opinions welcome.
Cheers
View attachment 89903View attachment 89904View attachment 89905View attachment 89906View attachment 89907
Just like your story, pissed out unknown to me until I lost all hydraulics and tracks, only took a few minutes going by the telltale oil, took the unit to a nearby repair place and they had the necessary seals, had to chuck in 60 litres of oil just to load and unload it as I had to move it from where it stopped, no help to you.

There’s something slack to allow that seal to nip.
Yes see the bearing nut wasn't as tight as I would have expected, leaving the twin tapered bearings a bit loose.

Check your case drain pressure, if the seals in the distributor are leaking this will increase the case drain pressure and maybe the cause of the seals blowing.
It is one possibility that seen from searches on possible causes, I guess i won't be able to check that untill it's reassembled.

Our ex60-2 here got the two track motors resealed by Vincent salmon (western hydraulics) in knock, they both had the exact same seal gone as yours, and they both also where like you explained, they where sound for the day then within about 10 minutes they where excessively leaking oil, Vincent Asked us at the time did we do any bog work with the machine, he reckoned that he seen a lot of machines come in with barbed wire and all sorts of stuff caught in around that seal causing it to rip out, I’ve have the old seals some where around here off ours, but I recall them looking worn very similar to your ones, if you need seals western hydraulics would more then likely have them on the shelf, or MG in swinford
I never heard of them, not a million miles from me either, I do generally get all the bits off MG , the lads are sound to deal with and always good for advise.
When I was dismantling I did find slot of dirt and grit around the 2 radial seals and wondered did the last bit of work I did hade anything to do with it..... Real sloppy gravely subsoil, the grit could have made its way into the seals . It's a possibility.
Just like your story, pissed out unknown to me until I lost all hydraulics and tracks, only took a few minutes going by the telltale oil, took the unit to a nearby repair place and they had the necessary seals, had to chuck in 60 litres of oil just to load and unload it as I had to move it from where it stopped, no help to you.
I'd say only for I got a smell of HYD oil I wouldn't have noticed it either , but same as that took no length to drop it below the sight glass on the tank.
No your good thanks, I just wanted to see if it was only seals that got you sorted.

Impressive success story the salmons of knock, one has a large design and print business, one has western hydraulics and the other is in the rich list with a highly successful distribution business over the road in kiltimagh. One of the track motors on our digger has gone very lazy, plenty of oil in it no doubt a seal gone. Will be interesting to see how you fair out

Had forgotten all about that lad until I read this.
Bought a machine up that country from one of the dealers a few years back. Did a deal with him for a new saw, he was making them at the time, was going to go over and fit out the machine for any return pipes or whatever was needed all his suggestions. We were a month waiting for the machine as it was being serviced and sprayed and a few bits so plenty time for him to get it done. He never went near it. Wouldn't answer the phone or anything for the finish. Twas very strange. We bought a different saw after.

Had forgotten all about that lad until I read this.
Bought a machine up that country from one of the dealers a few years back. Did a deal with him for a new saw, he was making them at the time, was going to go over and fit out the machine for any return pipes or whatever was needed all his suggestions. We were a month waiting for the machine as it was being serviced and sprayed and a few bits so plenty time for him to get it done. He never went near it. Wouldn't answer the phone or anything for the finish. Twas very strange. We bought a different saw after.
Can be very odd at times, I think the man has that much work on that he forgets, unless you are on his case every single day of the week then he will forget about you, A bad business model I think

Just to update this thread and maybe help anyone with a similar problem.
I replaced both floating seals the brake piston seals and all O rings between the pump and final drive. I also replaced both drive bearings, basically everything on the final drive side as if I still had a problem it will only be with the pump and that can be easily dismantled if needed.
Happy to report no issues so far, about 50 hrs done. About 300 in parts covered it and labour was my own so good enough outcome.
IMG_20210410_082242.jpgIMG_20210410_082237.jpg

Back