Hobbies

podge 23

Just wondering what lads do to chill out a bit or what hobbies have ye like during the week do ye do any other thing besides farming ?

I like wrenching to a degree on old kit so that's one of my hobbies. Walking would be something else I like. I wouldn't really do much outside of farming. Oh scrap auctions are another pastime :laugh:

Skip to 50 seconds in this video and I’m interested in the opposite of that man
I wouldn’t mind some kind of new hobby, my social life has taken a big hit since people have started going out less.

I can't understand a word he's saying:no:

I'd say our level of farming is only a hobby, and it ties very well into one of my main interests of machinery, fabrication and spannering (not pandering autocomplete).

But my other hobby is still farming related I suppose. Cooking is something I've been doing since I was a teenager, building my skills, becoming more adventurous, tackling new things.

It's a great interest as you always need to eat and everyone likes it if I do a big roast or bbq or something (whereas it's only a bunch of weirdos on the internet who appreciate the finer points of a homemade land leveller)

Last edited:
Do any of ye do any kayaking?
I have been on a couple of team building days from work that involve kayaking and they were great. I have even learned to swim since I was on the last one. The kids have done a bit on summer camps in recent years. They're pushing for to get a sit on top kayak and I'm wondering how safe it would be? I'd like to get 2 single kayaks - obviously with buoyancy aids. We have a lot of rivers, lakes and canals close by and it would make for great days out. Do any of ye do this kind of thing?

I have been on a couple of team building days from work that involve kayaking and they were great. I have even learned to swim since I was on the last one. The kids have done a bit on summer camps in recent years. They're pushing for to get a sit on top kayak and I'm wondering how safe it would be? I'd like to get 2 single kayaks - obviously with buoyancy aids. We have a lot of rivers, lakes and canals close by and it would make for great days out. Do any of ye do this kind of thing?
There's enough water in the shower from me, and I grew up about a mile and a half from the sea as the crow flies.

My brother would do some Kayaking. I often meet people on the river that have hired off Go with the flow. Mostly Canadian type canoes . They always seem to be having a great time.When my mother and father lived in Northern Canada they used go shopping in a canoe .

Did a lot of canoeing in my teens, sprints and long distance, done the Liffey descent from Straffan to Islandbridge a few times in K1 and K2, that's single and two man canoes, took to motorbikes watching races and bike rallies ( getting boozed and sleeping in a tent), now I'm not sure is the farming or the contracting the hobby so just go by the accountant and whichever makes the least money can be the hobby, try to play a bit of golf as I'm next door to a course, the social side is good crack because a lot are country people either farmers or have links to farming.

Done a bit on and off kayaking down the years, mostly in open tops. It's a nice way to switch off for a while and enjoy the scenery.

done it a few times renting one, much prefer sitting on to sitting in, keep meaning to try out a canadian, maybe this will be the year

Back