Home made weigh platform

redpower

Has anyone here made their own weigh platform for cattle? Currently got a Tubar weigh crush, but as we have installed a permanent crush on farm a platform for inside this would be easier to work and we can use at outfarm as it has a permanent crush installed too. The Tubar in good condition, so selling it should fund all this and more.
Currently having to tie up gates etc to get them weighed and as such it is a hassle and they are not weighed as frequently as I'd like them to be done. Plus having to cart the crush between the places make it a PITA. Whereas a platform can be threw easily into a flatbed trailer and carted anywhere and installed within a few minutes.

I was thinking of getting these and making my own frame. Small scale operation, so bluetooth or any other sort of connectivity deemed unnecessary:
Beam Weigh Scales

For the platform, I'm considering a rubber matting held down in place with a perimeter of thick flat bar and similar up them middle to prevent slipping. Frame would be either box or C-channel, depending on whatever suitable I've got lying around.

Would like to see some pics and what weigh cells you used.

Has anyone here made their own weigh platform for cattle? Currently got a Tubar weigh crush, but as we have installed a permanent crush on farm a platform for inside this would be easier to work and we can use at outfarm as it has a permanent crush installed too. The Tubar in good condition, so selling it should fund all this and more.
Currently having to tie up gates etc to get them weighed and as such it is a hassle and they are not weighed as frequently as I'd like them to be done. Plus having to cart the crush between the places make it a PITA. Whereas a platform can be threw easily into a flatbed trailer and carted anywhere and installed within a few minutes.

I was thinking of getting these and making my own frame. Small scale operation, so bluetooth or any other sort of connectivity deemed unnecessary:
Beam Weigh Scales

For the platform, I'm considering a rubber matting held down in place with a perimeter of thick flat bar and similar up them middle to prevent slipping. Frame would be either box or C-channel, depending on whatever suitable I've got lying around.

Have a platform here and being honest whilst its not what you want to hear if you have a good crate I’d be buying the load bars and putting them under it, might be more awkward to move but will be far far handier weighing cattle. Just plonk it at the head of the crush and let them into it

Have a platform here and being honest whilst its not what you want to hear if you have a good crate I’d be buying the load bars and putting them under it, might be more awkward to move but will be far far handier weighing cattle. Just plonk it at the head of the crush and let them into it
Why is that? With a platform I can throw it up the crush and weigh what I want, when I want and it is not in the way. To put ours in place I need two people and a loader tractor to sling it into position.
I can leave it out to weigh new born calves.
It can be stored easily taking up minimal space.
Why do you think it is a bad idea? What issue are you having with yours?

The problem is that I can't get it to the head of the crush. Hence why I have to make up gates etc in a different position.

Why is that? With a platform I can throw it up the crush and weigh what I want, when I want and it is not in the way. To put ours in place I need two people and a loader tractor to sling it into position.
I can leave it out to weigh new born calves.
It can be stored easily taking up minimal space.
Why do you think it is a bad idea? What issue are you having with yours?

The problem is that I can't get it to the head of the crush. Hence why I have to make up gates etc in a different position.
I wouldn’t necessarily say its a bad idea just that if I had a good enough crate I think I’d throw the bars under it and be done, if it can be made to work easily.. The main thing is getting them to actually stand on the dam thing with all 4 feet, they’ll either end up with a foot off the front or off the back and the longer they are there with you waiting to get all 4 feet on it to get a weight the more agitated they become and the less likely you are going to get a steady weight. We even went for an 8ft long platform to try give a bit of spare room to prevent it and they will still go to one end.
Then you have the added couple of inches of height which gives the wrong animal thoughts that I can clear the side bars of the crush. Ours would be quiet enough cattle but still put the scales in and they aren’t shy about losing it a bit.
Also being on the platform separate to the rails if they place a head on the side rail or under the rail Or push against the head gate your either gaining or loosing weight.

Put them in a crate and it doesn’t matter what way they are the scales will be reading the total weight of the animal. We were weighing some yesterday and I was just saying to dad I think it’s the one thing I’d change on our crush, loose the front panel either side after the vet gate, the 2 front pillars and the head gate and drop a crate in instead.

But I can see where your coming from if it’s not easy to put the crate in it does complicate things. Don’t get me wrong the platform does work and does work well but from using it for years I see how a full crate could make it a lot simpler task in ways.

Good point in relation to the fixed sides and front of the permanent crush affecting weight reading - I hadn't considered that.

The Tubar mobile crash has a weigh cell in it, but like I said it takes up space in a tightly packed shed, is awkward to use, awkward to transport and it would be a nice project to make the platform.

Beam Weigh Scales

Make it as big as possible, I have an 8ft platform and it's 32" wide, flat top with checkboard. Haven't had any major issues with slipping. I bought one though, didn't make it. A crate would be best as @drew says, I have stock board bought to put up inside the crush to prevent legs slipping out, that's only an issue with calves and I do find them difficult go weigh consistently, our crush is probably a bit wide

I wouldn’t necessarily say its a bad idea just that if I had a good enough crate I think I’d throw the bars under it and be done, if it can be made to work easily.. The main thing is getting them to actually stand on the dam thing with all 4 feet, they’ll either end up with a foot off the front or off the back and the longer they are there with you waiting to get all 4 feet on it to get a weight the more agitated they become and the less likely you are going to get a steady weight. We even went for an 8ft long platform to try give a bit of spare room to prevent it and they will still go to one end.
Then you have the added couple of inches of height which gives the wrong animal thoughts that I can clear the side bars of the crush. Ours would be quiet enough cattle but still put the scales in and they aren’t shy about losing it a bit.
Also being on the platform separate to the rails if they place a head on the side rail or under the rail Or push against the head gate your either gaining or loosing weight.

Put them in a crate and it doesn’t matter what way they are the scales will be reading the total weight of the animal. We were weighing some yesterday and I was just saying to dad I think it’s the one thing I’d change on our crush, loose the front panel either side after the vet gate, the 2 front pillars and the head gate and drop a crate in instead.

But I can see where your coming from if it’s not easy to put the crate in it does complicate things. Don’t get me wrong the platform does work and does work well but from using it for years I see how a full crate could make it a lot simpler task in ways.
X2.

Is modifying the crush to take the crate an option?

This crush/crate lark is confusing for us lot this side of the pond!😂

Reactions: Paw
Make it as big as possible, I have an 8ft platform and it's 32" wide, flat top with checkboard. Haven't had any major issues with slipping. I bought one though, didn't make it. A crate would be best as @drew says, I have stock board bought to put up inside the crush to prevent legs slipping out, that's only an issue with calves and I do find them difficult go weigh consistently, our crush is probably a bit wide
We have 2 strips of stock board each side to keep the feet in and it makes a hell of a difference A0ECB157-141F-4E53-8F61-D6C9302BF7B4.jpeg667ADEF2-AE16-4E1C-B7DF-A26707805A9C.jpeg

Just realised that another reason for not placing it at head of crush is that the distance from crush headgate to the external wall would only be ~7'.
Bit more thinking required...

@redpower I was looking at the beams you linked above.Customer questions and reviews

are these weigh beams suitable for weighing cattle outside and are they weather proof?

Answer:
Hi there, Thank you for your query. These scales would be best for use indoors as the digital display and cables are not water proof. We hope this helps, Kind Regards, Monster Scales
By Monster Group (UK) SELLER on 27 July 2015
looking into this we would not recommend use of these scales in the rain or water.
Kind Regards
MonsterShop UK
By Monster Group (UK) SELLER on 29 January 2016

I’ve similar beams and display under my combi clamp for sheep,they are excellent but I’d be nervous about them being in the sh1t,possibly seal round the plugs with silicone and have a enclosure for the display.

I remember when looking earlier in the year that there were more on amazon and they were suitable.
Didn't notice that question, so that's that kicked to the kerb until I find a suitable setup!

Back