home made weighing scales

vanderbadger

lads i picked up a gallagher digital weigh clock on ebay there recently, takes same connectors as tru test scales i hired from coop before, they probably all use the same connector perhaps?
anyway I asked a few of the guys on dd about just buying the platform and cells and using this ebay clock, been quoted about 1000 euros, seems expensive enough, just wondering has anyone bought their own cells and made up a platform, would a timber platform be ok?

well that includes the checker plate platform as well but ya still dear i think
I looked at it before buying scales last year and the platform was coming in at €500 to €750 alone. You'd only want to be weighing calves on the 500 quid one.

I've often considered getting the cells and the scales from a knackered diet feeder and making up a weighing platform. You'd see them on dd fairly often.

i see some sellers are selling platform with a tru test clock but they arent tru test load bars, they are just buying cheap cells (I imagine) and basically selling it off as a tru test scales, now it will probably work as well whether or not it will last

Reactions: AYF
Decent cells I'd say are about 70-80 + vat each. The platform is critical though as you cant afford to have any deflection so with steel gone up the price is probably not far off - I've seen plenty of aluminum platforms that just bend in the middle with the weight and then scales is inaccurate. Displays are pretty generic so although connector might not be the same you can usually wire them up easily.

the old lad here bought trutest clock and cells here years ago and made a platform from scrap chequered plate. works grand but it's fairly heavy for moving.

I made a foot bath out if 2 motorway crash barriers once .
Try flattening one of those .
Then when I had it welded together , with a 4 x 2 inch piece of channel for each end .
You'd want pallet forks to lift it into the crush .

I bought a pair of tru test load bars two years ago, already had the screen.
Near enough £800 for 3000kg capacity.

Whatever you do don't let the welder near them!!

I was thinking of making a scales too, I ordered the cells and display off AliExpress I think around Christmas , cells showed up, the display didn't. Yet..

One thing to consider with weighing animals is that a static load indicator might go haywire.
The tru test type ones (ones for animals) take an average reading of lots of continuous weights.
Where as a static load indicator needs the load to be still, weighing feed for example.
They might be fine, but might jump wildly too!

Back