Honda FR-V replacement

I sold my 09 focus 1.8TDCI recently. It had 356k km on the clock. I bought it in 2013 with 104k km on it. The only reason I sold it is it was due a timing belt change which is a main dealer bill of €1000. First day suspension is still on it. For the first four years of my ownership, it didn't need anything doing to it for the test. For the next 3 tests, €1000 would cover the costs for the three of them, the biggest item being replacing of the brake discs.
A neighbour bought it. He told me today that it passed the test again during the past week, a wheel bearing, a drop link and 2 other rubbers is what he put in to it. He's going to take out the engine to do the belt.
It just goes to show how one can be lucky with a vehicle.

My wife is on her 5th car since 08. Saying that I'm not far behind her but the total cost of my cars wouldn't reach 10k
I'm on my 4th vehicle since 2000, and I would probably still be on my 2nd if it didn't die tragically. I have never owned a car. In saying that I could have gone through 10 or 12 tractors in the same period.

2010 to 2020 we were doing a combined 150,000 km per year between the two of us. In that period we put over 1.5 million km on cars - that doesn't include a few extra km that I put on the jeep every year too. I had a Toyota auris from 08 to 2016 that I did almost 450,000km on (again without needing a part other than a bulb for an airbag light). Reliability was a must for the Mrs' car. Many people wouldn't do 15k a year. Since the pandemic, there has been loads of problems with diesel cars with check engine lights coming on as a result of a fault in the exhaust system - the more modern the diesel, the more likely the fault. Its all caused from not driving enough to keep them cleared out

2010 to 2020 we were doing a combined 150,000 km per year between the two of us. In that period we put over 1.5 million km on cars - that doesn't include a few extra km that I put on the jeep every year too. I had a Toyota auris from 08 to 2016 that I did almost 450,000km on (again without needing a part other than a bulb for an airbag light). Reliability was a must for the Mrs' car. Many people wouldn't do 15k a year. Since the pandemic, there has been loads of problems with diesel cars with check engine lights coming on as a result of a fault in the exhaust system - the more modern the diesel, the more likely the fault. Its all caused from not driving enough to keep them cleared out
Its a big chunk of your life to give over sitting behind a wheel. I dont think I could do it. Was the travel expensed to work for either of you? 20,000 miles would be an average years driving for me and the cost of tyres and servicing add up even with a reliable car.

Its a big chunk of your life to give over sitting behind a wheel. I dont think I could do it. Was the travel expensed to work for either of you? 20,000 miles would be an average years driving for me and the cost of tyres and servicing add up even with a reliable car.
Its over thankfully. I was getting expenses but they would just about cover fuel. Wear and tear and servicing came out of my own pocket.

:cool:Just thinking back, the Mrs bought a 05 megane in 2006 with approx 50k miles. Traded it against a Laguna in 2009 with just over 200k miles. Laguna was traded against a fluence in 2011 with 180kkm on it. Fluence was traded with just over 300k km in 2015 for a 2011 grand scenic with 100k km. We bought a 141 dacia duster in 2016. Grand scenic was traded for a ford focus in 2019. It had 415k km on it. Duster was resprayed under warranty in 2018 and we sold it privately in 2019 and bought the cmax. Focus was traded against a commercial vehicle last January with 290k km - of all of the above cars, the focus was the most expensive car to keep serviced and repaired. Focus parts are cheap, Renault parts are expensive but the focus was hard on parts.
I’m dizzy even reading that !

You must have a great independent mechanic mucky!

On the Auris, did you not have trouble with DMF's? It was the one thing that swung me back to Fords again after years of good service from Toyboata

You must have a great independent mechanic mucky!

On the Auris, did you not have trouble with DMF's? It was the one thing that swung me back to Fords again after years of good service from Toyboata
Yea, a good mechanic and a willingness to service it on or before 15kkm every time.

Auris never gave any problem with dmf.

My independent lad has an aversion to French yokes!

Regular servicing and keeping on top of things is half the battle.
Very true, good maintenance goes a long way for sure.
I know mucky wasn't wild about his but I have an old c max here and find it a great car. Plenty of power out of a 1.6 tidy size of a car but very big boot, really high driving position and just a very practical car I find
My mechanic thought them ok too. Is the the petrol or diesel you have in that?

Very true, good maintenance goes a long way for sure.

My mechanic thought them ok too. Is the the petrol or diesel you have in that?
Mine is a diesel but I'm not sure of the newer engine options, she is a reasonably heavy car so I wouldn't want anything less than that in it either I suppose. I think they can be bought for reasonable money second hand too

Mine is a diesel but I'm not sure of the newer engine options, she is a reasonably heavy car so I wouldn't want anything less than that in it either I suppose. I think they can be bought for reasonable money second hand too
They don't seem too bad on price. What is the space in the rear seats like? What year and many miles on yours? Anything go wrong on it?

They don't seem too bad on price. What is the space in the rear seats like? What year and many miles on yours? Anything go wrong on it?
Oh a long way back. 2007. Bought at 100k miles and I've put 70k miles on it since. A wheel bearing, an injector came unseated and needed a bit of work. Apart from that not a thing. Now my mechanic is ford mad too so when it's something Henry built its no trouble 😅

Brilliant space in the back seat, basically 3 full size seats and loads of head room. With a big boot aswell it always seems a big car for its footprint. Not exactly the sleekest car on the road I suppose but I bought it for 2400 or something and I would account it very cheap motoring. Havent heard any horror stories about the newer ones either I must say

Oh a long way back. 2007. Bought at 100k miles and I've put 70k miles on it since. A wheel bearing, an injector came unseated and needed a bit of work. Apart from that not a thing. Now my mechanic is ford mad too so when it's something Henry built its no trouble 😅

Brilliant space in the back seat, basically 3 full size seats and loads of head room. With a big boot aswell it always seems a big car for its footprint. Not exactly the sleekest car on the road I suppose but I bought it for 2400 or something and I would account it very cheap motoring. Havent heard any horror stories about the newer ones either I must say
That was particularly important in 2007 for completely different reasons to 2021, although the 2 are linked.

I had a 2006 fiesta with the 1.4 tdci. The injector copper seals went twice, I done them myself the second time around. It was a big enough job when it should have been simple, due to the nature of the engine design, plenty of bits to rip out. The 1.6 might be different, it looks like the injectors are a little more accessible on an image search.

I had a 2006 fiesta with the 1.4 tdci. The injector copper seals went twice, I done them myself the second time around. It was a big enough job when it should have been simple, due to the nature of the engine design, plenty of bits to rip out. The 1.6 might be different, it looks like the injectors are a little more accessible on an image search.
They sit up on top, no trouble accessing but a little bit of work involved all the same.

For the folks with scenics, did the clutch pedals go very heavy in them? 4 out of the 5 I've test driven have been very heavy, I'm putting it down to stiff springs in the pressure plate. My leg was tired after them and I wouldn't be on for buying one like that. Seems to be a mention or two emerge online of this too.

Back