horses with laminitis and low protein hay

Bencroy

a local horse owner and truck driver who actually used to drive the milk truck rang this morning looking for low protein hay.
she and another person was feeding good quality haylage to their horses but a couple of the older horses 20 years plus have developed laminitis seemingly from too high protein in the haylage. it's not affecting the younger ones on the same diet.
she was telling me about it while looking to source some hay for the older horses.
I know absolutely nothing about either or never heard of the higher protein causing problems for older horses.has anyone on here any experience of it,

I thought it was high sugar that caused it?
High nitrates and high protein will swell a foals developing legs.

It's probably all a much of a muchness. High protein feed is usually high in sugar.

Reactions: AYF
Tell her that the best treatment for them is to bring all 4 to the factory!!!!!:tongue:

It's too much energy in the diet and the older horses have got too fat. Restrict intake or feed poore quality roughage. If feeding ration to them, split the feeds.
I'd agree to a point re older horses, seemingly they have been told its to high of protein, no the horses were thin as the movement was restricted with the " laminitis " .there on a ration or something to put condition on them.

I've a 2 year old pet kid goat that's developed laminitis aswell vet said something like feed organic hay only it might help it

a local horse owner and truck driver who actually used to drive the milk truck rang this morning looking for low protein hay.
she and another person was feeding good quality haylage to their horses but a couple of the older horses 20 years plus have developed laminitis seemingly from too high protein in the haylage. it's not affecting the younger ones on the same diet.
she was telling me about it while looking to source some hay for the older horses.
I know absolutely nothing about either or never heard of the higher protein causing problems for older horses.has anyone on here any experience of it,
Bad hay soaked in water for 24hrs will have the same feed value of cardboard. Bad time of year, but cleavers from a hedgerow have very good healing effects.

Horses are too fat. Or were too fat when they developed it.
Horse owners are funny. I have a lad buying hay off me, family friend, has a number of horses in my stables, not once has he thought about throwing me a small few pound for the use of the stables and he's constantly telling me he's pretty much broke. Anyways I just ignore it at this stage, haven't the heart to evict him at present. And yet he is heading down to the local co op every other day buying meal to feed them with. Bear in mind that 2 of these horses are about 20 years old and are pets, no commercial value whatsoever and they are mud fat. You can be too good to your pets too. He hardly feeds himself like.

Bad hay soaked in water for 24hrs will have the same feed value of cardboard. Bad time of year, but cleavers from a hedgerow have very good healing effects.
Next door horsey people buy top quality hay, only to soak it to take out any value!
If you landed there with crap they'd complain!

Mate of mine sells old lay hay. You'd early starve a donkey to death on it, but horse people love it. It smells lovely and very palatable, but horses won't get laminitis on it!

ive had 00s call here over the years
"i want the best hay or haylage for my pony"......
see them for a month or 2....
then nothing for a few weeks
then "have you got anything old i can soak :rolleyes: "
feeding the best grub and bagged nuts etc on a field ornament and wonder why they laminitic

Back