House

jd66

I want to put down concrete or paving bricks at the front of the house what would peoples preference be. Would the brick work out much dearer than the concrete. Thanks

I worked at concrete for long enough and I wouldn’t put it down at the front of my house, it’s very industrial looking. That said I would be reluctant to go with brick pavers too as they can be a bugger for weeds and can sink if the ground isn’t good or made up. I would be hard pushed to go past asphalt or sma esp given the low oil prices at the minute.

We have those bricks on a patio out the back, and I like them, but as Paddy says above, weeds are an issue, I wouldnt like a huge area of them, and I wouldnt like to have traffic down on them either
Tar isnt without issues either, lovely when new, but moss can be a problem.

I put concrete down around the three sides of my house and redone the front path. It's a great job i think. The rest of the drive down the front I'm going to tar,not cheap though. I have brick paving in a patio and footpath but i wouldn't put them in a driveway to much weeds also to expensive

Parents put down concrete and put grooves in in with a consaw. 2ft X 2ft squares. Looks quite well

If you want a good look from concrete put it down with a dye in it and the mats that leave a pattern, no weeds or moss problems or subsidence if done right.
I think that the imprinted concrete is a dirt catcher and a scum grower. Much prefer a plain concrete with proper professional finish. Throw a box of washing powder onto it once a year and it will come up as new.

I think that the imprinted concrete is a dirt catcher and a scum grower. Much prefer a plain concrete with proper professional finish. Throw a box of washing powder onto it once a year and it will come up as new.
That would be like having a silage slab outside the house.....

I see a lot of adverts for Resin Bonded driveways.
Anyone tried them?
Colour chippings mixed with resin to set them.
Can put patterns and borders in too.
Does look a good job.

If you want a good look from concrete put it down with a dye in it and the mats that leave a pattern, no weeds or moss problems or subsidence if done right.

Agree there completely

A friend of mine started that sort of work lately. Die and mats to leave a stone or brick pattern. Id say it would be a far better job than brick paving. Dirt between them is a disaster for weeds, and once one brick shifts the whole lot are fucked.

Agree there completely

A friend of mine started that sort of work lately. Die and mats to leave a stone or brick pattern. Id say it would be a far better job than brick paving. Dirt between them is a disaster for weeds, and once one brick shifts the whole lot are fucked.
Only problem with matcrete is that in needs to be power washed and sealed with sealer regularly to keep it looking right. I helped put down a good few loads in the past and it looks ok at best after a few years.

Looks like concrete it will be op as you hadn't mentioned tar anyway. Concrete/imprinted concrete, tar asphalt, sma, does it really matter folks? As a man said to me once, "sure it's only a house and you only sleep in it"

Looks like concrete it will be op as you hadn't mentioned tar anyway. Concrete/imprinted concrete, tar asphalt, sma, does it really matter folks? As a man said to me once, "sure it's only a house and you only sleep in it"
I think a home is where you live and nice surrounds are good for mental health. In crime and troubled areas of cities there are very few trees.

Wats the difference in tar and sma price wise and which would last longer on a fairly steep drive up to the house

Just went with gravel here when we built 10 years ago.

No kerbs, just ran the lawn down to it.

Nice looking, no issues with water and drains, cheap.

Just spray for weeds a couple of times a year. Have footpath on back & sides of house. I’m glad I didn’t do a path along the front.

FE985748-3DCC-4CE2-B244-D579C77CF3E9.jpeg

My 2 cents mine is mostly when i get A chance to do it have a concrete path around the house, if doing it again I'd probably pave the front leave the rest concrete. Patio area to the side. For the drive way I've a steep drive up to the house so will do the entrance in concrete though might get it coloured if I do I'll get it done in the readymix I case of chips in the future . Will probably concrete the back and side front I've half a Notion to keep it chips in front of the house only issue is I drive around the house so it cuts in at the corner over the year so might look at those pvc grids to support the chips

Back