How do you erect steel girders

Stupid question I am sure, and I am not really near to doing it but I'm curious.

If I wanted to extend the front of the shed to close it up and there's uneven ground, how do you erect the girders to join up? How do you know how much into the ground the girder goes? And is it just a matter of digging a hole and pouring concrete into it?

Stupid question I am sure, and I am not really near to doing it but I'm curious.

If I wanted to extend the front of the shed to close it up and there's uneven ground, how do you erect the girders to join up? How do you know how much into the ground the girder goes? And is it just a matter of digging a hole and pouring concrete into it?
Normally concrete holding down bolts in the hole then make the post the length to suit if the site is uneven.

Measure your girder and mark with a straight edge eg 100 inches from end ,then place your girder into 4 foot hole with roughly 52 inches above ground to mark ,have a line with a level buble and have this up to straight edge mark then you can level your 2 girders

The professional way is use a laser level,an easy way is like green grass posted but use a purlin,they don’t sag and blow in the wind like a string does.

Back